Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

Default Cleaning vinyl records

OK here's another tip for anyone digging out their old vinyl
collection. Irrespective of how well you've looked after them (and
I've always done that pretty well), they'll be suffering from a
certain amount of dust on them. Even the cleanest LP results in a
stylus clogged with dust by the last track, muddying the sound
reproduction.

The other day I hit upon what I think is a great (and cheap) solution.
Find one of those sticky rollers you can buy for removing dust and
lint from clothes - you'll find them in most supermarkets for just a
few pounds. Roll that over your LP and it takes every particle of
dust off it.

The roller needs cleaning after a few LP sides - just wash it under a
tap and use a bit of detergent and rub the dust off. Dry it off and
its back to its original sticky self.

My LPs have never been cleaner, and they sound great!

---
Rob Tweed
M/Gateway Developments Ltd

The Pursuit of Productivity : http://www.mgateway.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Rob Tweed wrote:

OK here's another tip for anyone digging out their old vinyl
collection. Irrespective of how well you've looked after them (and
I've always done that pretty well), they'll be suffering from a
certain amount of dust on them. Even the cleanest LP results in a
stylus clogged with dust by the last track, muddying the sound
reproduction.

The other day I hit upon what I think is a great (and cheap) solution.
Find one of those sticky rollers you can buy for removing dust and
lint from clothes - you'll find them in most supermarkets for just a
few pounds. Roll that over your LP and it takes every particle of
dust off it.

The roller needs cleaning after a few LP sides - just wash it under a
tap and use a bit of detergent and rub the dust off. Dry it off and
its back to its original sticky self.

I've always just used duct tape. Tear off a generous amount, stick it
all over both sides of the record, and then tear it all off at once with
a single vigorous pull. Not only are you dust problems a thing of the
past, but you can dispense with those cumbersome clamps that hold the
record firmly on the platter. You'll never see a record stick to the
platter more firmly than after it's been treated this way.

Or you can use honey. Pour honey all over the record, and the dust will
dissolve in the honey. Then just remove the honey and your record is as
clean as a whistle.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC MC is offline

I've always just used duct tape. Tear off a generous amount, stick it all
over both sides of the record, and then tear it all off at once with a
single vigorous pull. Not only are you dust problems a thing of the past,
but you can dispense with those cumbersome clamps that hold the record
firmly on the platter. You'll never see a record stick to the platter
more firmly than after it's been treated this way.

*chuckle* Or to the stylus...

Or you can use honey. Pour honey all over the record, and the dust will
dissolve in the honey. Then just remove the honey and your record is as
clean as a whistle.

Dishwashing liquid works well and is much easier to remove.

On a more serious note: There is a substance used for cleaning optics; it's
a goop that dries on the lens, and then you peel it off. It is common to
put it on a lens before packing it for shipping, and not remove it until
it's ready to be installed in the instrument. Would this stuff be a good
(though expensive) way to clean LPs?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
michael michael is offline

MC wrote:

On a more serious note: There is a substance used for cleaning optics;
it's
a goop that dries on the lens, and then you peel it off. It is common to
put it on a lens before packing it for shipping, and not remove it until
it's ready to be installed in the instrument. Would this stuff be a good
(though expensive) way to clean LPs?

I was at a resort a couple of years ago where, at the same time, an
ophthalmologic convention was being held. I wandered onto the display
floor coming across a large German optical company (think binoculars and
camera lenses) giving out samples of a spray-on, wipe-off glass/plastic
cleaner in a neat little atomizer bottle. I asked the rep what the
solution was made of, and he confided to me that it was simply alcohol and
purified water. I took his card, said I'd contact him later in order to
arrange a large purchase of whatever it was he was selling, and then
grabbed a handful of atomizers. Since then I've been using my own
combination of alcohol and purified water finely misted on a Discwasher
plush pad. It works very well for removing dust. It will not "clean" a
dirty record, but I don't have any dirty records. For that you probably
need one of those fancy vacuum machines, or make one up yourself using a
Hoover and the squeegee attachment.

mp
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

Maybe I should take my LPs to someone who does leg waxing? Bet that
would work!! I may get a reputation for being somewhat weird though
:-)

On 21 Jul 2006 19:34:07 GMT, Walt wrote:

Rob Tweed wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Walt wrote:
Rob Tweed wrote:

[...]

There used to actually be a goo you could buy
that hardened on the surface of the LP, and took all the dirt with
it when you peeled it off. UNfortunatly it didn't always peel off in
one smooth motion.

I wonder if just using one of the 'swiffer' electrostatic cloths
now available in any grocery store, would work.

___
-S
Still not bloggin'.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MD MD is offline

Rob Tweed wrote:

[...]

You removed the surface dust

Recently I bought a used Nitty Gritty and the difference after it's use
is easy to hear. (I used to use the excellent disc doctor system by
itself and not a cleaner because I was too cheap to buy one and thought
the difference wouldn't be that great - well it is. Now I pre clean
with the Doctor then use the Gritty in the rinse cycle. I close with
Gruve Glide - which removes static for life)