MINe 109

Default Linn Upgrade Or Not

In article ,
Monroe wrote:

Looking to upgrade a very old LP12 (c. 1975; original SME 3009 II
tonearm; no upgrades at all). Was considering Cirkus kit alone. I'm
interested in getting back in to my vinyl collection and am looking
for simply a good sound; nothing too extravagant.

How would this upgrade strategy compare to say the purchase of a new
or (better?) used TT? Given the limited Cirkus upgrade, new cartridge
and proper setup, would an upgrade to another TT require a
considerably higher outlay of cash for the same quality of sound? I
see some mint used Rega's kicking about for $1200 - $1500 Cdn. I
suspect that Cirkus + cartrdige + labour will taken me to about the
$1200 region.

Thanks for any and all.

I like my LP12, but it came with the Cirkus new, so I can't make the
comparison. However, I did hear a similar old LP12 with the original arm
and power supply that came into the local shop for an upgrade. The
presentation was warm, romantic and diffuse, enjoyable for a short
audition, but I would worry for its long term satisfaction.

The Cirkus essentially rebuilds the deck to current standards,
eliminating worries of worn bearings or suspension parts. That and a
modest cart would be be superior to most used Regas. While Linn have
their detractors and there are better 'tables out there, I think you'd
have to spend much more to equal or better the quality.

Looking ahead for more upgrades, Valhalla power supplies come up on Ebay
every so often. I don't know the SME arm, but that's another potential
area of improvement.

Stephen
Sander deWaal

MINe 109 said:

Looking ahead for more upgrades, Valhalla power supplies come up on Ebay
every so often. I don't know the SME arm, but that's another potential
area of improvement.

Another improvement is definitely a different mat.
The stock filt one is muddying the lower end presentation, regardless
of what arm/cart combo is used.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
MINe 109

Monroe wrote:

The one I have came with a ribbed, black rubber mat. Same upgrade
reasoning?

Just not the felt one! Actually, I use felt with no problem, but at
least it's cheap to experiment.

Please don't top post.

Stephen