Jason

Default Unhappy situation

I have a failry nice system in my car. I enjoy listening to it daily.
Well two days ago, My Kenwood MP919 Head Unit went out. I swapped CDs, and
when the face closed and it began playing the new CD, I noticed the display
was off. Volume knob stopped working as well. I could not eject the CD,
none of the buttons worked. Eventually it stopped playing music and the
face plate opened, but the CD would not eject. Uh oh. I pull the face
plate out, and the face retainer moves back in place. So it has power and
recognizes the face plate has been removed. Now when I reattached the face
plate, it would do nothing for 30-45 seconds, then the face would again
open, and remain open (and not eject) until I removed the face plate.
Shutting the car on and off helped none.

Well, luckily, I bought an extended warranty on it. I buy them for all my
car audio, since car audio tends to fail much more frequently due to a
harsher environment, and warranties on them are usually low, because of high
markup on thde equipment. By the way I bought it at Frys.

So I take it in to get swapped or repaired, and I was pointed to the fact
that I had gotten a 1 yr replace, 1yr repair warranty. Fine, I dont really
want a new one, I just want it working, I really really like it, and I would
change nothing about it.

Frys gives me more bad news... 6 to 8 weeks for repair. Sigh. What choice
do I have. I guess I will buy no more audio equipment from Frys, but at
least they will fix it for free.

I dont go for headphones in a car, and I think they are illegal, but for 6-8
weeks I will have one earbud in, and a grimace on my face.

Sucks

Jason

"Jason" wrote in message
I have a failry nice system in my car.

LOL Freudian slip!!

Paul Vina

Really? When I was in Texas I was told by a number of people that it was.
Weird. I actually know people that have been pulled over for it.
Isn't it funny that headphones are illegal in most states but it's a law in
most that you use an earpiece with your cell phone?

Paul Vina

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
they arent illegal here!

Jason wrote:

[...]

Jason

I thought they were illegal in TX, I am in Austin.
Time to do a google search.
BTW I ended up getting a cable to hook up my weak ass walkman to my amp.
Its somthing wicked ghetto, but it works. Freaking Frys... freaking
Kenwood...

Jason wrote:

[...]

Eddie Runner

over the nearly 30 years I have been installng I have always
heard that headphones are illegal... BUT, I have never heard
this from an official source and I have never seen
any REAL evidense of it in either the Texas Penal code book
or the Texas drivers handbook.... Little municipalities of course
have thier own laws so you never know... I have come to believe
there is really NO LAW, but its just a wifes tale...!!

the logic for no headphones is usually stated as because you wouldnt
be able to hear an ambulance behind you.... ??

Back in the 70s I remember a Ford TV commercial where the man
of the house is trying to read the paper and he is constantly interupted
by household noises (kids screeming, vacuum cleaner, .....) so he goes
out to his brand new Ford and sits inside with his newspaper and as he
puts the power window up all the outside noises dissapear... He smiles
with his paper as an absolutely silent lawnmover passes right by his window!
ha ha

Seems like that would blot out ambulances as well!!

If headphones were illegal, would it also be illegal to build a car so quite
that you cant hear outside noises??? Of course not!!!!!!!!!

And now as you pointed out with car phone preferences to be hands free
it seems like the ear plug is a good way to go...

Eddie

Jason wrote:

[...]

Brandon Buckner

OK, maybe in Cali, but not illegal here in Iowa. The DOT driving manual
that you have to study from to pass the tests to get a permit or license
specifically states that it is not illegal. There is even a question on
the test about it. The one I took at least.

Brandonb

Jason wrote:

[...]

Tony Fernandes

FYI...Headphone use is illegal in WA State.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

Jason wrote:

[...]

max8061

I know it's probably too late to tell you this, but my kenwood HU
(different model) has done this exact thing a couple times. All you have
to do is find the reset button and reset the unit. It will come back to
life (minus all your settings). I think the problem is that I'm not
running the power wire straight to the battery as advised in the manual.
Where is/was your power wire run to?

*

--
max8061
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=157179

Jason

Thankfully I tested that. I had to run BACK up to Frys, pull it from the
shelf. Pop it in my car and test it. Hit the reset. Unfortunatly no go.
Thank you for the advice though. I wish it HAD worked. But I have heard
that I am not the only one to have this issue. Strange... in a year and a
half plus 2 years with a first generation Kenwood MASK deck, I never had
this problem nor heard of it. But that reminds me, I should call Frys and
get the status.

As for the power, I have it running through the factory wiring. I havent
examined the manual that closely, but I can't see why that would cause this
problem. Maybe I should contact Kenwood. Also, I am not using the head
unit to power any speakers. Al my speakers are powered through the amps...

s.com...

Jason wrote:
[...]

Paul Vina

I think the problem is that I'm not
running the power wire straight to the battery as advised in the manual.
Where is/was your power wire run to?

Your factory wiring IS run directly to the battery.

Paul Vina