Jean

Default Eight questions on subwoofer

Hi everyone

I have several doubts regarding subwoofer and its amplifier

-1- What is the basic difference(in construction,working and
performance) between a subwoofer and an ordinary woofer ?

-2- When was sub woofer first introduced ?(And who introduced it ?)

-3- How can I detect a distorted output from a subwoofer ?

-4- What are the specifications of the box on which the sub is to be
mounted ?

-5- Is the shape of the box significant ? Or is that the volume of the
box that matter ?

-6- I have bought a subwoofer named 'DAINTY'.On the sub the following
are written...8 Ohm,130W RMS,260W MAX .Have you ever heard a company
like that ? Or is it a local make ?

-7- Will an amplifier constructed with a TDA 7294 work ?

-8-What should be the power rating (I expect VA,RMS output voltage,RMS
output current) of the transformer to be used for maximum power output
?

-8- What are the rating of the rectifier diodes and the filter
capacitor to be used for the dual DC power supply ?

Thanks in advance

Jean
Per Stromgren

On 17 Jan 2004 21:32:56 -0800, (Jean) wrote:

-1- What is the basic difference(in construction,working and
performance) between a subwoofer and an ordinary woofer ?

Practically nothing. A subwoofer is commonly used term for a woofer in
an enclosure by itself. "Sub" is (was) used to denote something that
reach lower than an ordinary woofer, but that is not necessarily the
case nowadays.

-3- How can I detect a distorted output from a subwoofer ?

By listeing to it. If you can't hear the distortion, everything is OK.

-4- What are the specifications of the box on which the sub is to be
mounted ?

You have problems with termonlogy here. See 1.

-5- Is the shape of the box significant ? Or is that the volume of the
box that matter ?

In short, no an yes, respectively. Look up a book on speaker building
or find a web page on the subject.

-6- I have bought a subwoofer named 'DAINTY'.On the sub the following
are written...8 Ohm,130W RMS,260W MAX .Have you ever heard a company
like that ? Or is it a local make ?

It is a local make, if you live in Taiwan.
http://www.dainty.com.tw/
Do you know how to use Google? It took me all of 20 seconds to look
that up.

-8-What should be the power rating (I expect VA,RMS output voltage,RMS
output current) of the transformer to be used for maximum power output
?

What transformer?

-8- What are the rating of the rectifier diodes and the filter
capacitor to be used for the dual DC power supply ?

In what context?

Are we talking car audio, by any chance? If so, you can get a lot more
help out of rec.audio.car.

Thanks in advance

Jean

One small piece of advice: be more specific. You will get a lot better
answers that way.

Per.

Arny Krueger

"Jean" wrote in message
om

I have several doubts regarding subwoofer and its amplifier

-1- What is the basic difference(in construction,working and
performance) between a subwoofer and an ordinary woofer ?

A subwoofer is hopefully designed to go lower, louder cleaner while
sacrifices in performance above 200 Hz are acceptable. A woofer is normally
expected to work up to 500 to 3000 Hz.

-2- When was sub woofer first introduced ? (And who introduced it ?)

All I know is that I've had one since 1978 or so and have a friend who had
his since the early 1970s.

-3- How can I detect a distorted output from a subwoofer ?

By listening to it or by doing spectral analysis of its acoustical output.

-4- What are the specifications of the box on which the sub is to be
mounted ?

That varies all over the map.

-5- Is the shape of the box significant ? Or is that the volume of the
box that matter ?

The volume of the box is the most important thing, but the shape of the box
can't be changed arbitrarily. For example a 5 cubic foot box could be a cube
or be made in the shape of an organ pipe. Unless carefully damped, the
enclosure with the shape of the organ pipe will tend to resonate a bit like
an organ pipe.

-6- I have bought a subwoofer named 'DAINTY'.On the sub the following
are written...8 Ohm,130W RMS,260W MAX .Have you ever heard a company
like that ? Or is it a local make ?

Never heard of it.

-7- Will an amplifier constructed with a TDA 7294 work ?

Yes, but it may or may not be an optimal solution to your problem, whatever
that problem might be.

-8-What should be the power rating (I expect VA,RMS output voltage,RMS
output current) of the transformer to be used for maximum power output

There seems to be a great deal of wisdom on the web about TDA 7294
amplifiers. I see no reason not to trust much of it.

-8- What are the rating of the rectifier diodes and the filter
capacitor to be used for the dual DC power supply ?

See the above.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 17 Jan 2004 21:32:56 -0800, (Jean) wrote:

Hi everyone

I have several doubts regarding subwoofer and its amplifier

-1- What is the basic difference(in construction,working and
performance) between a subwoofer and an ordinary woofer ?

None, although a subwoofer may reasonably be expected to extend to the
15-20Hz region, whereas a woofer can cut off at 30Hz without disgrace.

-2- When was sub woofer first introduced ?(And who introduced it ?)

Probably in the '70s, although I don't know which was actually the
very first to have that appellation.

-3- How can I detect a distorted output from a subwoofer ?

Measure or listen. Listening is the only *relevant* test.

-4- What are the specifications of the box on which the sub is to be
mounted ?

There may be a misunderstanding - a subwoofer *is* a box (usually).

-5- Is the shape of the box significant ? Or is that the volume of the
box that matter ?

Volume is what matters, and a cube or sphere are the most logical
shapes.

-6- I have bought a subwoofer named 'DAINTY'.On the sub the following
are written...8 Ohm,130W RMS,260W MAX .Have you ever heard a company
like that ? Or is it a local make ?

It's a Taiwanese make, so 'local' will depend where *you* are.

-7- Will an amplifier constructed with a TDA 7294 work ?

Everything works, some things work better than others...........

-8-What should be the power rating (I expect VA,RMS output voltage,RMS
output current) of the transformer to be used for maximum power output
?

What transformer?

-8- What are the rating of the rectifier diodes and the filter
capacitor to be used for the dual DC power supply ?

Depends how much power output you are expecting. Generally, rate the
mains transformer and PSU components for twice the expected power
output, to allow for inefficiencies in the amplifier.

Zipperhead

In article ,
says...

Sphere??? If shape doesn't matter, why bother making a sphere?

Because you want the sub to round out the sound.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 18 Jan 2004 13:26:35 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On 17 Jan 2004 21:32:56 -0800,
(Jean) wrote:

Hi everyone

I have several doubts regarding subwoofer and its amplifier

-1- What is the basic difference(in construction,working and
performance) between a subwoofer and an ordinary woofer ?

None, although a subwoofer may reasonably be expected to extend to the
15-20Hz region, whereas a woofer can cut off at 30Hz without disgrace.

Also, a subwoofer rarely works above 100-200 Hz, whereas a woofer
could commonly is used up to 2-4 kHz.

Well, a true woofer, as used in a 3-way speaker, wouldn't be
expected to work much above 3-400 Hz, you are thinking of the
ubiquitous 2-way bass/mid unit.

-3- How can I detect a distorted output from a subwoofer ?

Measure or listen. Listening is the only *relevant* test.

Coming from the manufacturer, a THD measurement would be a more
relevant, rather than him/her saying that his/her subwoofer sounds
better than brand yyy.

Agreed, but you very seldom see useful information in that regard.

But, I agree, at home comparing two subwoofers, the best way would be
to listen for the better one and leave it to science to explain why it
is so.

-5- Is the shape of the box significant ? Or is that the volume of the
box that matter ?

Volume is what matters, and a cube or sphere are the most logical
shapes.

Sphere??? If shape doesn't matter, why bother making a sphere?

Maximum wall rigidity for any given material and wall thickness.
Agreed a cube is *much* simpler!