Sam

Default Mounting In-Ceiling Speakers - Back Box Needed?

I plan to use ads C80ic speakers throughout my new house for
whole-house audio. I am using the rough-in brackets so installation
will be easier, but was wondering if I should try and construct some
type of backbox or enclosure behind each speaker location?

The speakers are inf. baffle design, so they don't technically have to
have one, but just wondering if it would affect the sound at all.

If so, any idea as to how to calculate box size?
Robert L. Bass

I plan to use ads C80ic speakers throughout my new
house for whole-house audio. I am using the rough-in
brackets so installation will be easier, but was
wondering if I should try and construct some type of
backbox or enclosure behind each speaker location?

The speakers are inf. baffle design, so they don't
technically have to have one, but just wondering if it
would affect the sound at all.

I've installed a few hundred in-wall and ceiling speakers in my time. For
new construction I've done some with and others without a back box. *Most*
of the time the back box helps. Check with the manufacturer or dealer to be
sure about the specific speakers you choose. We used to "frame in" the
speaker by installing horizontal firestops above and below the opening. For
an 8" two-way wall speaker we would make a box about 36" high in this
manner. For ceiling speakers we would make the box about 18-20" long.

Just before the drywall hangers reach the room you can use a caulk gun to
squeeze out a bead of RTV silicone sealant on both sides of the studs and
firestops that define the box if you like. Before you insert the speaker
stuff some acoustical fiberglass into the box. If you can't find any,
regular unbacked insulation is better than nothing.

BTW, when you run your cables for the speakers consider the following:

Install one CAT5 plus either 16/4 or 14/4 stranded from the source rack to
each volume control. Run 16/2 from there to each speaker in the room.
Leave a loop of extra CAT5 at the volume control and continue the cable over
to one of the speakers. It make no difference whether this is left or right
but be consistent.

The above arrangement will work for the vast majority of current systems.

Regards,
Robert

=============================
Bass Home Electronics, Inc
2291 Pine View Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34231
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
941-925-9747 Fax
941-232-0791 Wireless
Nextel Private ID - 161*21755*1
http://www.bass-home.com
=============================

Frank Olson

It seems to me that speakers like these are designed for the specific
application. Installing them in backboxes will alter their acoustic
"profile" (for want of a better word). Is there any way you could "demo"
them locally before you make a final decision?? They say the "ear" is
mightier than the "page" (technical specifications). :-)

"Sam" wrote in message
m...
I plan to use ads C80ic speakers throughout my new house for
whole-house audio. I am using the rough-in brackets so installation
will be easier, but was wondering if I should try and construct some
type of backbox or enclosure behind each speaker location?

The speakers are inf. baffle design, so they don't technically have to
have one, but just wondering if it would affect the sound at all.

If so, any idea as to how to calculate box size?

Sofie

Why "box them in"...... and limit the size of the speaker baffle.
Installing them in the ceiling or wall without a box will effectively give
you a large baffle...... in general, a larger "box" or baffle is better
unless the speakers are designed to work with a specific size baffle with
sealed, or ported enclosures.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Sam" wrote in message

The speakers are inf. baffle design, so they don't technically have to
have one, but just wondering if it would affect the sound at all.

If so, any idea as to how to calculate box size?

Owain

Sam wrote
I plan to use ads C80ic speakers throughout my new house for
whole-house audio. I am using the rough-in brackets so installation
will be easier, but was wondering if I should try and construct some
type of backbox or enclosure behind each speaker location?

It depends on the type of house construction, but in the UK the
typical plasterboard ceiling is an integral and crucial part of
fireproofing the room, both preventing fire from spreading to upper
floors and maintaining the structural stability of the floor during a
fire. Although this has not, AFAIK, been addressed yet in our Building
Regulations, installation of fireproof domes or intumescent covers
would seem to be, at least, prudent. That would be my primary
worry,rather than any effect on sound quality.

"In the USA, fire deaths increased by 13.3% from 1999 to 2000,
reversing a decades-long trend for decreasing fire casualties. In
total, 4,045 people died in fires in the US in 2000, with over 85% of
these deaths (3,420) occurring in the home. ... According to the NFPA,
the US has the second highest fire rate and fire death rate in the
world"
http://www.cefic-efra.org/code/fire_stat.html

Owain