Larry

Default new dvd/dvd-audio/sacd player with older AV receiver - what's missing?

I recently purchased a Pioneer DV-578A DVD player which can also play
DVD-audio and SACD music disks. So far, I have only connected the
Pioneer to the audio(2channel)/video inputs on a conventional TV, to
verify that it can play a movie. My next step is to connect the player
to my Onkyo receiver, model TX-SV717PRO, probably manufactured 1993 or
1994. (There is a story behind this, I acquired the receiver and some
other components from the previous owners of my current house, rather
than selecting it myself, but I don't mean to digress!) It is apparent
that the Onkyo has a limited set of audio inputs that don't "match up"
with all of the audio outputs on the Pioneer, not surprising given its
(Onkyo) age. More specifically, the Pioneer has 2 channel analog
outputs, 5.1 channel analog outputs (front left, front right, rear
left, rear right, center, and subwoofer), and both coaxial and optical
digital outputs. But the Onkyo only 2 channel audio inputs, therefore
the Pioneer can only be connected to the Onkyo with 2 channel audio.
Please explain what is the impact of this limitation on my listening,
i.e. what capabilities would I gain by getting a current model receiver
which has the extra inputs.

Further, the Onkyo has a "Dolby Prologic" surround mode, which is
supposed to send different channels to the front left/right, center,
and rear left/right speakers (which are all connected). I am a bit
confused on how this works, because the connection from any audio
source (whether CD, DVD, VCR, tape cassette deck, or phonograph) to the
Onkyo can only be 2-channel. Does the Onkyo do some type of "demixing"
to create 5 separate Dolby Prologic channels from the 2 stereo channels
that it "reads" from its input device?

Thanks for any help in improving my understanding.

Mark D. Zacharias

Larry wrote:
[...]

You're limited to Dolby Pro-Logic with this model which means that yes, it
decodes (or derives) the center and rear channel information from the
existing 2-channel output of the DVD player. Additionally you might have to
select this option for the "downmix" in a part of the DVD player menu - my
Sony is that way anyway.

If you plan to use it much for movies you probably should upgrade. For music
alone (2-channel stereo) it's OK. The various Dolby decoding options for
music listening might not be too satisfying. ( hall effects, simulated
surround, etc). Newer surround models have all-channel stereo options which
are better for music.

I favor the following brands of surround receivers in this order:

1. Yamaha
2. Denon
3. Onkyo
4. Sony

Mark Z.

Gary A. Edelstein

On 20 Apr 2005 20:31:01 -0700, "Larry" wrote:

[...]

In addition to what Mark said, you will need a receiver with a
multichannel analog input if you want to listen to DVD-A or SACD music
with all available channels and full audio resolution that those disks
can put out. So, time to seriously consider a new receiver with that
sort of input as well as a digital audio input for DD and DTS DVDs.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo