Default How to eliminate echo and humming from voice recording?

Hello,

How can I eliminate echo (hollowness) from a voice recording? The echo
is due to the confined space of where the voice recording was done.

Also, how can I eliminate the pervasive humming sound of my computer
hardrive fan that is present throughout the entire 4 hour voice
recording?

I did the 4 hour voice recording in my confined office using an Apex
415 mic through Sound Forge 7.0.

I looked at other posts and tried using the Noise Gate... this helped
with the humming somewhat... what about the EQ? Is there something I
can do using that?

My knowledge of audio terminology is limited so the help menu of Sound
Forge 7.0 is like trying to read a forgein language.

Any solutions for my challenges via Sound Forge 7.0 would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance...

Jay

Steve King

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I know of no way to remove the effects of the room sound as you describe it.
Take the time to re-record. Either treat your office accoustically to
remove hard-wall reflections or move to another/better room. Don't record
in close proximity of the computer unless you want to hear it. You can beat
yourself to death trying to make software correct a bad recording. You'll
spend hours/days and be not much better off than when you started. On the
other hand, if the content cannot be replaced, live with it and avoid the
same mistakes next time.

Steve King

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Hello,

How can I eliminate echo (hollowness) from a voice
recording? The echo is due to the confined space of where
the voice recording was done.

Hope and pray that the echo is concentrated at certain
frequencies that you can attenuate without hurting the
recording too much.

Also, how can I eliminate the pervasive humming sound of
my computer hardrive fan that is present throughout the
entire 4 hour voice recording?

Pretty doable in Audition/CEP with all of its noise
reduction options.

basically fans create noise that tends to be at discrete
frequencies. Narrowband equalization can attenuate them with
minimal (but probably audible) damage to the sounds you
want. Some software lets you sample the noise and uses its
analysis of that to design the required filter for you.

Sounds like you are up to some meatball surgery.

I know nothing about SF.

Scott Dorsey

How can I eliminate echo (hollowness) from a voice recording? The echo
is due to the confined space of where the voice recording was done.

You can't, really. Sometimes downward expension to chop the end of the
reverb tails off can help a little.

Also, how can I eliminate the pervasive humming sound of my computer
hardrive fan that is present throughout the entire 4 hour voice
recording?

You can take it to someone with good broadband noise reduction tools
and let them do it. But the room problems will probably make it harder
to deal with the noise issues.

I did the 4 hour voice recording in my confined office using an Apex
415 mic through Sound Forge 7.0.

Better luck next time. This is why it is important to monitor your
recordings while tracking. If you can't hear what you're doing, you're
apt to miss all sorts of stuff like this, and wind up wasting your time
making unusable recordings.

Richard Crowley

bosspayn wrote ...
Any solutions for my challenges via Sound Forge 7.0 would
be fantastic. Thanks in advance...

The main solutions to your challenges are acoustical and have
nothing to do with your software. It would likely be far less
expensive to eliminate the problems before they reach your
microphone.

Mr.T

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Also, how can I eliminate the pervasive humming sound of
my computer hardrive fan that is present throughout the
entire 4 hour voice recording?

Pretty doable in Audition/CEP with all of its noise
reduction options.

I know you use Audition Arny, but the OP already uses Sound Forge 7 which
does pretty much the same things as Audition, including a number of noise
reduction methods and heaps of filtering options.

I know nothing about SF.

Similar features to Audition for stereo wave editing.

MrT.

Ricky Hunt

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
bosspayn wrote ...
Any solutions for my challenges via Sound Forge 7.0 would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance...

The main solutions to your challenges are acoustical and have nothing to
do with your software. It would likely be far less expensive to eliminate
the problems before they reach your microphone.

It's practically impossible to satisfactorily remove the sound caused by
recording in an improperly treated small room. I agree. Fix the problem at
the source.

RD Jones

My knowledge of audio terminology is limited so the help menu of Sound
Forge 7.0 is like trying to read a forgein language.

Any solutions for my challenges via Sound Forge 7.0 would be fantastic.

Get the book "Sound Forge Power" by Scott Garrigus.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...68905?v=glance

rd

RD Jones

Mr.T wrote:

I know you use Audition Arny, but the OP already uses Sound Forge 7 which
does pretty much the same things as Audition, including a number of noise
reduction methods and heaps of filtering options.

I know nothing about SF.

Similar features to Audition for stereo wave editing.

As powerful as SF is there are some functions that
CEP/Audition will do better or easier. Primarily in
the area of noise reduction the included processing
functions seem to be more straightforward in Audition.
3rd party DX plugins notwithstanding

I still prefer Forge for most standard editing tasks.

rd

Tim S Kemp

Arny Krueger wrote:
I know nothing

" "

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

George Gleason

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in news:ecadnVKldMAFmazeRVn-
:

Arny Krueger wrote:
I know nothing

" "

I see, Arny is Shultz!!!!!!
That is too bad, I liked Shultz
George
Ty Ford

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:33:47 -0400, Steve King wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message
[...]

Spend the money on a music library. Put music under your tracks and see if
you can hide the noise.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

George Middius

George Gleason said:

I know nothing

I see, Arny is Shultz!!!!!!
That is too bad, I liked Shultz George

Did you like Nixon Richard too?

George Gleason

George Middius wrote in
:

George Gleason said:

I know nothing

I see, Arny is Shultz!!!!!!
That is too bad, I liked Shultz George

Did you like Nixon Richard too?

aamof no
but I don't follow the refrence?
George
George Middius

George Gleason said:

That is too bad, I liked Shultz George

Did you like Nixon Richard too?

aamof no
but I don't follow the refrence?

http://snipurl.com/huqc

George Gleason

George Middius wrote in
:

http://snipurl.com/huqc

if its not too much trouble please explain this
the link was dead, (Not found) thanks
George M. Middius

George Gleason said:

http://snipurl.com/huqc

if its not too much trouble please explain this
the link was dead, (Not found) thanks

No, the link is fine. Did you copy & paste or did you try to re-type it?

George Gleason

George M. Middius cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in :

George Gleason said:

http://snipurl.com/huqc

if its not too much trouble please explain this
the link was dead, (Not found) thanks

No, the link is fine. Did you copy & paste or did you try to re-type it?

Cut and paste
but thats ok
it doesn't work for me
not worth any more effort
Peace
George
Peter Larsen

How can I eliminate echo (hollowness) from a voice recording?
The echo is due to the confined space of where the voice
recording was done.

No, it is a problem because the microphone was too far from the sound
source. Being too close also caused problems. What you should do is to
make a series of test recordings and learn where to place the mic for
the job.

Also, how can I eliminate the pervasive humming sound of my computer
hardrive fan that is present throughout the entire 4 hour voice
recording?

Make your mind up, hum is a term used for LF noise, and harddrives
mostly cause high frequency noise. What you refer to is however probably
the combination of CPU fan and power supply fan,

I did the 4 hour voice recording in my confined office using an Apex
415 mic through Sound Forge 7.0.

It follows from this that it will take approximately 480 minutes to fix
the recording by re-recording. It is the fastest and the best solution.

I looked at other posts and tried using the Noise Gate...
this helped with the humming somewhat...

I am confident that using a noise gate will cause worse problems than
not using one. Subtle expansion and careful use of multiple stages of
digital noise reduction may make the problem less obvious, but it may
also cause the voice to sound like the voice of a robot.

what about the EQ? Is there something I can do using that?

Yes, you can alter the tonal balance in many ways, most of which will be
detrimental, this because noise from a computer is wideband in nature.

My knowledge of audio terminology is limited so the help menu of Sound
Forge 7.0 is like trying to read a forgein language.

I started using Cool Edit in 1999, and I am still only just learning.

Any solutions for my challenges via Sound Forge 7.0 would be fantastic.

The fast here & now solution is to re-record and thereby fixing the
actual problem, which is that there was too far from the mic to the
mouth, try again with the distance being in the 8 to 12 inches range. Do
not speak directly at the mic, do not vary the distance and do not be
too close.

Thanks in advance...

Homework: read the rec.audio.* FAQ. Locate Harvey Gersts site and go
visit
http://www.digido.com. There is an example of what digital NR can
do on my site, but do be aware that it takes skill and many experiments
to learn to use powerful tools.

Jay

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Ty Ford

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:07:01 -0400, Peter Larsen wrote
(in article ):

Do what Peter said.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Mike Rivers

Ty Ford wrote:

Do what Peter said.

Learn the words? At least that will eliminate the need for humming,
though sometimes humming can be kind of nice.