Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Serious Problem with Adobe Audition 2.0

If anyone out there can help with this it would be a miracle. I finally got
a new computer, so I had to install my Audition 2.0 fresh on it. But they
will not activate it any more, even though I own it and have the serial
number and everything. I have tried all avenues of research on this,
including calling them and googling it up, with no joy.

Perhaps you have run into the same or similar problem with legacy programs
that they just won't support any more. But I and many others prefer the 2.0
version to all updates since. I own the 5.5 version, and it is not as
intuitive and has some really dumb menus actions etc.

I just really want my 2.0. I actually have it installed on the computer at
work, and since it was activated in the day, it still works there. I just
want it to work at home too. Maybe if I just disconnect the internet cable
while installing? I didn't think so....

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 28/03/2016 06:00, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
[...]

They have turned off the activation server for all the CS2 series
programs, as they were written for XP, which is no longer supported.

If you log onto your Adobe account using the CS2 link on this page:-

http://www.adobe.com/uk/downloads/other-downloads.html

you can download a version that has a licence number you do not need to
activate. It used to work for anyone, until they realised that rather
more people had downloaded and installed it than had paid for a licence. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 3/28/2016 1:00 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
If anyone out there can help with this it would be a miracle. I finally got
a new computer, so I had to install my Audition 2.0 fresh on it. But they
will not activate it any more, even though I own it and have the serial
number and everything. I have tried all avenues of research on this,
including calling them and googling it up, with no joy.

[...]
I actually have it installed on the computer at
work, and since it was activated in the day, it still works there.

And, there it is. No one "owns" the Adobe software they use, it's only
licensed to them under the terms of the EULA. Your legal copy is running
on the computer that, presumably, is the one that holds the license.
Perhaps you can buy another legal copy for use on your new computer, but
chances are you'll be jumping through lots of hoops to transfer the license.

--
Best regards,

Neil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Perhaps you have run into the same or similar problem with legacy programs
that they just won't support any more. But I and many others prefer the 2.0
version to all updates since. I own the 5.5 version, and it is not as
intuitive and has some really dumb menus actions etc.

I just really want my 2.0. I actually have it installed on the computer at
work, and since it was activated in the day, it still works there. I just
want it to work at home too. Maybe if I just disconnect the internet cable
while installing? I didn't think so....

Just get and install Adobe's offered activation-free version of AA3.01. It is
sufficiently close to AA2 in appearance and workflow that I'm confident that you
will still find things comfortably intuitive. (It does, though, have various
performance improvements over AA2.)

I own AA2 but de-installed it as superfluous some time after upgrading to AA3.
But after a subsequent pc rebuild, I was obliged to also replace that
activation-required AA3 with the activation-free version, because the required
activation server was no longer available. I have a range of Audition versions
and find that AA3 is closer to AA2 than to more recent offerings such as CS5.5
and CS6. Currently I have both 3.01 and CS6 installed...and am in 'mental
transition', with solid ol' 3.01 still getting grabbed for a lot of chores..

Live on the edge, Gary. Go ahead with a 3.01 install All AA versions can
co-exist on your pc...and you can always cleanly de-install if unsatisfied.

--
Tom McCreadie

Tinnitus is a pain in the neck

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:11:10 -0400 "Neil" wrote
in article
No one "owns" the Adobe software they use, it's only
licensed to them under the terms of the EULA.

+1. Same situation for nearly all PC software, Windows included.
Unfortunately.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tom McCreadie" wrote in message
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

[...]

I will see if I can finagle a copy from them. Their story as I understand it
is that they will replace my AA2 with the 3 if I can jump through the right
hoops. It is maddening to call them. Thanks all for the suggestions. I just
can't get used to 5.5 yet. Maybe later.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:04:16 -0400 "Gary Eickmeier"
wrote in article wjlKy.108673$Gj1.13852
@fx17.iad

I will see if I can finagle a copy from them. Their story as I understand it
is that they will replace my AA2 with the 3 if I can jump through the right
hoops. It is maddening to call them. Thanks all for the suggestions. I just
can't get used to 5.5 yet. Maybe later.

Gary Eickmeier

Good luck, Gary. I have to say you are falling way behind the curve.
There have been a lot of changes and additions to Audition since CS2.
There have also been internal code changes to make Audition take better
advantage of more modern multi-core processors. I don't know what your
computer is, but that might be a reason to upgrade. Of course, if the
subscription model puts you off then stick with the old stuff. Same goes
for changes to the UI.

Jason
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 29/03/2016 1:54 PM, Jason wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:11:10 -0400 "Neil" wrote
in article
No one "owns" the Adobe software they use, it's only
licensed to them under the terms of the EULA.

+1. Same situation for nearly all PC software, Windows included.
Unfortunately.

Um, make that "all software", full stop.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

I will see if I can finagle a copy from them. Their story as I understand it
is that they will replace my AA2 with the 3 if I can jump through the right
hoops. It is maddening to call them. Thanks all for the suggestions. I just
can't get used to 5.5 yet. Maybe later.

Firstly, accept that your AA2 can never be restored. It's a dead parrot. To get
AA3, you could start with the following link to a post on the Adobe Communities
Audition Users Forum... then assiduously follow all the instructions.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2124489

(If the above doesn't pan out, and you also have problems contacting Adobe, I
guess It might be OK, as a last resort, for me to provide you with my downloaded
activation-free AA3 file, as we were, after all, both purchasers of a legitimate
software licence? You could thereafter tidy up any required AA3 registration
stuff )

But as Jason mentioned, please don't give up on CS5.5, for there have been
significant under-the-hood performance improvements. (Check out the Audition
Users forum for details.) Indeed. I deemed the improvements sufficiently
worthwhile to justify my springing for a last-chance purchase of a licence for
CS6. before Adobe went over to The Dark Side: subscription modeling :-)

I do realize and reconcile myself to the fact CS6 is alas frozen to any updates
or minor bug fixes - all development being logically confined to subscription
software versions.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

geoff wrote:
On 29/03/2016 1:54 PM, Jason wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:11:10 -0400 "Neil" wrote
in article
No one "owns" the Adobe software they use, it's only
licensed to them under the terms of the EULA.

+1. Same situation for nearly all PC software, Windows included.
Unfortunately.

Um, make that "all software", full stop.

Don't look at my software, it's licensed under gnu.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29/03/2016 14:31, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
On 29/03/2016 1:54 PM, Jason wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:11:10 -0400 "Neil" wrote
in article
No one "owns" the Adobe software they use, it's only
licensed to them under the terms of the EULA.

+1. Same situation for nearly all PC software, Windows included.
Unfortunately.

Um, make that "all software", full stop.

Don't look at my software, it's licensed under gnu.

Which is just a more liberal EULA than Microsoft or Apple. The only
software you actually *own* is what you write or that someone writes as
a commission for you, and even then, the compiler program used may have
a licence agreement restricting your rights, or you might accidentally
use a copyrighted .dll or there'll be a non-open source driver for
something.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 3/29/2016 4:44 AM, geoff wrote:
On 29/03/2016 1:54 PM, Jason wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:11:10 -0400 "Neil" wrote
in article
No one "owns" the Adobe software they use, it's only
licensed to them under the terms of the EULA.

+1. Same situation for nearly all PC software, Windows included.
Unfortunately.

Um, make that "all software", full stop.

Well, not so fast. I own the software that I write, and there is plenty
of open-source software that is in a grey area w/r/t ownership.

--
Best regards,

Neil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 12:54:34 AM UTC-4, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
[...]

As I feel, most people go along with the herd, purchasing the expensive software when more affordable software would suffice. Most people who "use" the expensive software really don't know how to use it. This was obvious to me when I helped a damsel in distress when Photoshop (usenet group) users hadn't a clue.

Within 30-40 minutes I created this for her from two photos, using GIMP (freeware)...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/shutterwork.gif

Doors might need lubrication, I hear some 3kHz noise

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thanks again to all. I do have a Dell XPS 8700 with Intel i7 processor and
nVidia sound card and 12G RAM. There are a lot of differences to the 5.5 in
the menus and commands, but some similarities as well. I will try it. In
particular I want to learn how to do Dolby Digital 5.1 surround encoding. My
2.0 has the software, but it just will NOT put all of my channels in there,
nor will it play anything thru my rear speakers on my computer. In setup,
the computer will play test tones thru all 5.1 speakers, so I don't know
what the big problem is. Maybe the 5.5 can do it.

Gary