Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] gailbiancx@gmail.com is offline

Default Nagra tape recorders

Hello.

I am an audio widow. My late husband was an audio geek. He left behind 2 Nagra tape recorders.

I know they were once state of the art. And they are no longer that.

My question: Can anyone tell me if I should just dump them, which I shall find painful but will do, or if someone, somewhere, still uses them for something?

I hope someone in the group can advise me. I still get your daily emails.

Gail Williams
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Hello.

I am an audio widow. My late husband was an audio geek. He left behind 2 Nagra tape recorders.

I know they were once state of the art. And they are no longer that.

My question: Can anyone tell me if I should just dump them, which I shall find painful but will do, or if someone, somewhere, still uses them for something?

They are collectable, as are the accessories and microphones. Take a look
on Ebay... people are paying some money for even the Nagra III machines.

I would call Dan Dugan at 415-821-9776 and have him broker them for you.
He was the west coast Nagra guru for many years.

Did we know your husband? Who was he?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 2:01:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello.

I am an audio widow. My late husband was an audio geek. He left behind 2 Nagra tape recorders.

I know they were once state of the art. And they are no longer that.

My question: Can anyone tell me if I should just dump them, which I shall find painful but will do, or if someone, somewhere, still uses them for something?

I hope someone in the group can advise me. I still get your daily emails.

Personally, I'd toss them. Even if you wish to sell, are you going to state "Working Condition" or, "As Is"? And, if shipped with delicate mechanical mechanisms, and the don't work as advertised, it'll even create more headaches for you.

Jack

Gail Williams

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] gailbiancx@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 2:01:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello.

I am an audio widow. My late husband was an audio geek. He left behind 2 Nagra tape recorders.

I know they were once state of the art. And they are no longer that.

My question: Can anyone tell me if I should just dump them, which I shall find painful but will do, or if someone, somewhere, still uses them for something?

I hope someone in the group can advise me. I still get your daily emails.

Gail Williams

I can't figure out how to reply to an individual. (I hate computers.) This is to Scott Dorsey:
My husband was Larry Racies. Worked for CBS News for years, was active in union affairs, worked on a few feature films. Member of SMPTE, AES.
My thanks to all you gentlemen for responding.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 5:07:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 2:01:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello.

I am an audio widow. My late husband was an audio geek. He left behind 2 Nagra tape recorders.

I know they were once state of the art. And they are no longer that.

My question: Can anyone tell me if I should just dump them, which I shall find painful but will do, or if someone, somewhere, still uses them for something?

I hope someone in the group can advise me. I still get your daily emails.

Gail Williams

I can't figure out how to reply to an individual. (I hate computers.)

I use groups.google.com to reply (and read). Now that I have an Android cellphone, I NOW receive new additions to topics via e-mail! I GUESS I can reply directly via e-mail.

Good luck!

Best,
Jack

This is to Scott Dorsey:
My husband was Larry Racies. Worked for CBS News for years, was active in union affairs, worked on a few feature films. Member of SMPTE, AES.
My thanks to all you gentlemen for responding.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 02-02-2016 23:07, wrote:

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 2:01:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Hello.

I am an audio widow. My late husband was an audio geek. He left behind 2 Nagra tape recorders.

So sorry to hear that.

I know they were once state of the art. And they are no longer that.

They still are in many ways. While my own feeling is that tape recorders
are not so relevant for recording anymore, except as special effects,
they are extremely relevant for transfers of recorded tape.

My question: Can anyone tell me if I should just dump them, which I shall find painful but will do, or if someone, somewhere, still uses them for something?

Do what Scott says, perhaps he can contact you.

I hope someone in the group can advise me. I still get your daily emails.

A Nagra is never a dumpster candidate. As for what market value they
have, I do not know. But about now enough analog taperecorders have gone
the dumpster way for the remainder to get more valuable by the day, so
they have some sales value and certainly also a possible value for a
museum or and archive utility.

Gail Williams

I can't figure out how to reply to an individual. (I hate computers.) This is to Scott Dorsey:
My husband was Larry Racies. Worked for CBS News for years, was active in union affairs, worked on a few feature films. Member of SMPTE, AES.
My thanks to all you gentlemen for responding.

Thank you so much for asking rather than just discarding.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 7:33:47 AM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
On 02-02-2016 23:07, wrote:

[...]

Nagras were popular for movie produciton.
I was going to suggest the OP post over at ramps
rec.arts.movies.production
but I just went over there and it looks like that usegroup has died.
anybody know where they all went.
It was interesting reading.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
I can't figure out how to reply to an individual. (I hate computers.) This is to Scott Dorsey:
My husband was Larry Racies. Worked for CBS News for years, was active in union affairs, worked on a few feature films. Member of SMPTE, AES.

My God! Larry was a legend, I had no idea he had passed!

I think most of his Nagra gear was older, but anything Nagra made is still
probably worth preserving. He also used to have an Auricon sound-on-film
rig which is again something of a collector's item.

Also.... you may want to contact the Audio History Library which would be
very interested in any documentation or paper records he might have had.
is a good contact there. They are a good operation
that is trying to preserve any information possible about older sound
recording technology and techniques.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

I now have a bit more info. Both machines are Nagra IV-S. Each comes in a carrying case (one a bit beat up), each has a power supply, one has a synchronizer, the other a time code resolver and some kind of cue mike. I am at sea. You kind gentlemen advise a gamut of actions, from "boat anchor" toss-out to Ebay. I used to do audio at CBS, and these machines are just so nice! Someone, somewhere, must be able to, at least, appreciate them for what they once were....Gail
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
I now have a bit more info. Both machines are Nagra IV-S. Each comes in a=
carrying case (one a bit beat up), each has a power supply, one has a sync=
hronizer, the other a time code resolver and some kind of cue mike. I am at=
sea. You kind gentlemen advise a gamut of actions, from "boat anchor" toss=
-out to Ebay. I used to do audio at CBS, and these machines are just so nic=
e! Someone, somewhere, must be able to, at least, appreciate them for what=
they once were....Gail

The IV-S is worth some money, because the people primarily using these things
today are people who want to make stereo recordings in the field. The
synchronizers and resolvers aren't in any real demand today because nobody is
really using pilot tone anymore, but you should be able to get one or two
thousand each for an IV-S in good-but-not-refurbed condition. Again, talk
with Dan Dugan about them, he will find you a buyer.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Klay Anderson[_2_] Klay Anderson[_2_] is offline

Better fix that. I'll put a black bar over that Monday.

Used 8/16-track tape recorders D.M. Procida Pro Audio 94 December 30th 08 11:56 PM
Tape recorders Federico Pro Audio 3 January 19th 08 08:38 AM
Nagra, Uher ... portable open reel recorders ... questions ..... Daniel Pro Audio 34 November 12th 04 08:28 AM
Analog Tape Recorders Eric Bartlett Pro Audio 30 April 5th 04 01:25 AM
NR on Nagra III recorders? Chris Del Faro Pro Audio 8 September 2nd 03 01:28 AM