DJ TecThreat

Default Glass?

there was a question posted on the IML that i was interested in and when i
asked i got no reply... maybe no one saw it, oh well. anyway here it is,
someone ask about Scott Buwalda's 200 SX and his glass the stuff that goes
from clear to opaque (and the other way) when you apply voltage.... i was
wondering (a) what this is called , and , (b) where i can possibly still
get some... this is some interesting stuff i'm trying to find it now, lol..

DJ TecThreat
back in rec.audio.car

Soundfreak03

someone ask about Scott Buwalda's 200 SX and his glass the stuff that goes
from clear to opaque (and the other way) when you apply voltage.... i was
wondering (a) what this is called , and , (b) where i can possibly still
get some... this is some interesting stuff i'm trying to find it now, lol

You might try on alt.sci.physics or one of those. It was probably some other
technology adapted to car audio that they might be able to help you with it.

mdr

I've seen it used in architectural applications. There's a bar in
Manhattan's soho that was famous for its toilet doors (really).

In any case, poke around on the web and you'll eventually find it.
It's quite pricey and I doubt you can get it in anything but a flat
pane.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:08:01 -0400, "DJ TecThreat"
beaniATcharter.net wrote:

there was a question posted on the IML that i was interested in and when i
asked i got no reply... maybe no one saw it, oh well. anyway here it is,
someone ask about Scott Buwalda's 200 SX and his glass the stuff that goes
from clear to opaque (and the other way) when you apply voltage.... i was
wondering (a) what this is called , and , (b) where i can possibly still
get some... this is some interesting stuff i'm trying to find it now, lol..

DJ TecThreat
back in rec.audio.car

Daniel Ruiz

As a student of architecture, one of my design projects had me doing some
research on different solar control technologies with glass. What you and
the original poster are referring to is called electrochromic glass.
There are a few different ways to go about it, some more electrically
efficient than others, but that really is of interest to architects and not
audiophiles. Here's a simple link that'll get anyone interested in the
subject's feet wet:
http://www.glassonweb.com/glassmanua...trochromic.htm

Hope this helps!

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders Contra ----------------------------------------
2002-2003 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba section leader...

Daniel Ruiz

Well, there are different types in development... one of them needs a
constant voltage applied in order to keep the tint in effect, whereas
another
is an actual state change in the crystals that does not require a constant
voltage. IIRC, the latter requires more voltage in order to do the change,
but doesn't need constant power, while the other draws a small amount
continuously.

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders Contra ----------------------------------------
2002 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba section leader...

Brandon Buckner

And next thing you know is that there's going to be kids bumping around
with windows tinting and untinting because they can't keep their voltage
up and stable with a poorly designed power system in their vehicles.

Brandonb

Daniel Ruiz wrote:

Well, there are different types in development... one of them needs a
constant voltage applied in order to keep the tint in effect, whereas
another
is an actual state change in the crystals that does not require a constant
voltage. IIRC, the latter requires more voltage in order to do the change,
but doesn't need constant power, while the other draws a small amount
continuously.

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders Contra ----------------------------------------
2002 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba section leader...

DJ TecThreat

YEP!!! you'd be surpised how many hood rats pull up in there honda's and
toyota's at my shop and they think they actually did a good job on the
system becuase there headlights are dimming when the bass hits......

NEWS FLASH: THAT WAL-MART AMP AND CAP AINT DOING ****E!

DJ TecThreat

Daniel Ruiz wrote:

Well, there are different types in development... one of them needs a
constant voltage applied in order to keep the tint in effect, whereas
another
is an actual state change in the crystals that does not require a

constant
voltage. IIRC, the latter requires more voltage in order to do the

change,
but doesn't need constant power, while the other draws a small amount
continuously.

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It

goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever

wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't

Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders

ntra ----------------------------------------
2002 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba section leader...

DJ TecThreat

true... plus you could pre-tint these windows so they are legal tint when
you're driving.

"GiJO" wrote in message
hehe... it would be a good way to secure the car a little more. Untinted
when driving and black tint when not driving, means people can't look in

ya
car and think "ooo, i might steal that stereo"... they might think twice

and
decide it's not worth breaking in if nothing good is gonna be in there

--
Thanks
Andrew

Daniel Ruiz wrote:

Well, there are different types in development... one of them needs a
constant voltage applied in order to keep the tint in effect, whereas
another
is an actual state change in the crystals that does not require a
constant voltage. IIRC, the latter requires more voltage in order to
do the change, but doesn't need constant power, while the other
draws a small amount continuously.

--

________________________________________ Danny D. Ruiz
| How many times do you hear it? It goes
| on all day long. Everyone
knows | everything, and no one's ever wrong... 1998-1999 U.M. Band
of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell) 2000-2001
Boston Crusaders Contra ----------------------------------------
2002 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba section leader...

Brandon Buckner

Just like KITT in Knight Rider! lol. I think they do make auto versions
of it, but you're right, it ain't gonna be cheap.

Brandonb

GiJO wrote:
yep... that's what i was thinking too... then you could have it wired so you
can turn it on and off!!! it would look crazy, but don't think it would be
particularly legal

I wonder if this could be done... i'm tipping electrochromic glass isn't
cheap. And can you get tempered glass versions of it?

DJ TecThreat

i wish i knew of a place in the US! lol

DJ TecThreat
"GiJO" wrote in message
hehe... yeah!

anyone know a place in Australia that sells it? i had a look on the net

but
the links all seem to point to australian sites that explain it rather

than
sell it.

--
Thanks