Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Grammys: Why did Sly's mic have a vocoder?!

And why was he turned down so low in the mix? Sly's voice
actually sounded pretty good. Near the end of his bizarre showing,
he was screaming, "Baby, baby, baby take me higher!" His voice
sounded quite changed from the old days, but still pretty ballsy.

Sly missed his opening line, coming out a moment late, and I
think that messed up his mind from the get go. Real strange
performance. Great outfit. I hope Freddy's statements about new
projects are true. Unlikely, but I'd like it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
SanDiegoFunkDaddy

Doesnt look like they rehearsed enough. They said Sly only went through the
perfromance twice during rehearsal. You have to rehearse a lot more than
that for a live TV show. The vocoder was probably there just in case Sly
wanted to improvise during Higher. It didn't sound like it was turned on
though

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ted Perlman

Sly only went through the perfromance twice during rehearsal. You have to
rehearse a lot more than
that for a live TV show

Nope - you usually don't get more than that. On the "Tonite" show and
similar show, you get exactly 2 run throughs. That's it. Sometimes only once
if they're running late.

If you're not high or drunk and know what you're doing, that's all you need.

--
Regards,

Ted Perlman
Producer-Arranger-Composer-Guitarist

www.tedperlman.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
SanDiegoFunkDaddy

The producers asked for a third run-through but Sly refused to come out a
third time. Apparently the first 2 run-throughs were crap. Hence you see the
finished product live on TV

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Ted Perlman wrote:
Sly only went through the perfromance twice during rehearsal. You have to
rehearse a lot more than
that for a live TV show

Nope - you usually don't get more than that. On the "Tonite" show and
similar show, you get exactly 2 run throughs. That's it. Sometimes only once
if they're running late.

If you're not high or drunk and know what you're doing, that's all you need.

Somewhere around here, I have a kine of a Tales of Tomorrow episode with
Lon Chaney Jr. playing Frankenstein. He is clearly drunk. The rumor I've
heard about the show is that they got one run-through and went live, and
that he was sufficiently drunk during the show to think it was a second
run-through.

Hell, our local symphony only gets one practice together on a new piece
these days. Rehearsal is expensive!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ricky Hunt

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Somewhere around here, I have a kine of a Tales of Tomorrow episode with
Lon Chaney Jr. playing Frankenstein. He is clearly drunk. The rumor I've
heard about the show is that they got one run-through and went live, and
that he was sufficiently drunk during the show to think it was a second
run-through.

Is that the one where he was supposed to smash the props but still thought
it was the run through and was just picking them up and setting them down?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tommy B

I once did a late-nite show, where the sound was so bad, and the band leader
was so ****ed about it, he "fired" the UNION guy, and replaced him the next
day.

Tom

"Ted Perlman" wrote in message
om...
Sly only went through the perfromance twice during rehearsal. You have to
rehearse a lot more than
that for a live TV show

Nope - you usually don't get more than that. On the "Tonite" show and
similar show, you get exactly 2 run throughs. That's it. Sometimes only
once
if they're running late.

If you're not high or drunk and know what you're doing, that's all you
need.

--
Regards,

Ted Perlman
Producer-Arranger-Composer-Guitarist

www.tedperlman.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt M

I think it was a "Talk Box" pipe, not a vocoder.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought the performance was a bit sloppy, could have used more rehersal.
I'll take a sloppy Sly than allot of the crap thats out there any day!
Matt M

In article , SanDiegoFunkDaddy
says...

Doesnt look like they rehearsed enough. They said Sly only went through the
perfromance twice during rehearsal. You have to rehearse a lot more than
that for a live TV show. The vocoder was probably there just in case Sly
wanted to improvise during Higher. It didn't sound like it was turned on
though

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones

Matt M wrote:

I think it was a "Talk Box" pipe, not a vocoder.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw what I thought was a talkbox tube, and at one point
I thought I heard a slight bit of it's effect being reflected
off his face, as if the driver in the box was on.
I didn't ever see him actually mouth the tube for the full
effect though.

I thought the performance was a bit sloppy, could have used more rehersal.
I'll take a sloppy Sly than allot of the crap thats out there any day!

"Sloppy" is being very kind and generous.
I took it as being the ultimate snub to the music industry.
Notice the dismay of his A-list accompanists ?

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Vuotto

On 16 Feb 2006 00:00:16 -0800, "RD Jones" wrote:

Matt M wrote:

I think it was a "Talk Box" pipe, not a vocoder.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw what I thought was a talkbox tube,

Maybe it was emergency oxygen.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Matt M wrote:

I think it was a "Talk Box" pipe, not a vocoder.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw what I thought was a talkbox tube,

Maybe it was emergency oxygen.

More likely a remoted bong.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Frank Vuotto wrote:
"RD Jones" wrote:
Matt M wrote:

I think it was a "Talk Box" pipe, not a vocoder.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw what I thought was a talkbox tube,

Maybe it was emergency oxygen.

More likely a remoted bong.

Hey, is that patented yet?

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tommy B

That was one of the saddest things I have ever seen on an awards show.

Except for the hair, that was hilarious!
Now that I think about it, he looked like he was auditioning for "LaBelle".

Tom

"flatfish+++" wrote in message

Matt M wrote:

I think it was a "Talk Box" pipe, not a vocoder.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw what I thought was a talkbox tube,

Maybe it was emergency oxygen.

More likely a remoted bong.
--scott

Yea.
I read somewhere that he walked right out the back door, hopped on his
motorcycle and drove away.
After the way he slithered/stumbled onto the stage like a deranged
reptillian like chicken, the thought of him driving a cycle is
frightening.

That was one of the saddest things I have ever seen on an awards show.

--
flatfish+++
" Why Do They Call It A flatfish? "

Posted to rec.audio.pro
EricK

Scott Dorsey wrote:
More likely a remoted bong.
--scott

Nice !!

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr. Dolittle

EricK wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

More likely a remoted bong.
--scott

Nice !!

And I think Jimmy would have loved that!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

flatfish+++ wrote in
:

That was one of the saddest things I have ever seen on an awards
show.

You need to watch it again. You missed it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

flatfish+++ wrote in
:

Well, maybe not *the saddest*, but certainly freaky.
The guy slithers out, doesn't even touch the keys (his hands are
pounding on the buttons above the keys), he looks like he is
totally shot from the years of drugs (like Ozzy) and then

slithers
off.

It sounds to me like you read some of the accounts of it and didn't
see it yourself. Sly was certainly freaky. His mic was turned
very low in the mix. Very poor sound mix and poor camera work,
too, giving hardly any time to the members of the Family Stone.
They were all there except Larry Graham.

Sly sounded good and made a surreal appearance. I think he left
the audience wanting more.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

flatfish+++ wrote:

If anything positive came of it, he makes one hell of a poster child for
not doing drugs.

So what is all this about him having a new album out? It arrived this week
at the local college station but they haven't aired it yet.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

He obviously surrounds himself with leeches and enablers who count on
his handouts. In the early '80s, in one of his court appearances
(charges aside from drugs included stealing jewelry from a hotel
owner), he passed out in the courtroom. The bailiffs couldn't wake him
by prodding him, and the pic made the front page.