Guido

Default Melissa Ethridge steals the Grammys

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

I am NOT a big fan of Melissa Ethridge but she absolutely STOLE the
show tonight. Period.

Wowee wow wow wow.

Also hot...Green Day and U2.

My award for rambling bull**** goes to Alicia " I WISH I was Aretha"
Keys.

Girl...get over yerself.

And Tim McGraw sucked. Again. So did Gretchen Wilson, Lynrd Skynrd,
Gwen Stefani and Kanye West.

Mark Anthony and Jennifer Lopez blew major chunks. Oops...someone
forgot their ProTools rig!

Seems they gave the awards to all the best picks from the nominations
they had to work with.

And God Bless Loretta Lynn!

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

I'm not around a TV. How did Los Lonely Boys do ??

Guido

They were great!

They won Best New Artist!

jtougas

On 13 Feb 2005 20:38:50 -0800, "Guido" wrote:

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

I am NOT a big fan of Melissa Ethridge but she absolutely STOLE the
show tonight. Period.

Wowee wow wow wow.

Melissa Etheridge puts on one hell of a live show. She does an
incredible job of throwing energy out to an audience, and feeding off
what comes back.

There's a DVD of her solo show that is very much worth watching, just
her and her guitar(s).

I haven't liked her past two or three albums, but her first three were
great.

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
B. Peg

Too bad she lip synched though... ;o)

On another topic:

What was with the old geezer moaning about all the downloading and still
threatening people towards the end of the show? I'm surprised he didn't
threaten to sue all the Mp3 player manufacturers and software companies that
make rippers as well should anyone actually buy a CD and rip it and put it
on their player. I noticed the lackluster applause from the audience after
his agonizing spew. Maybe the audience members (i.e. artists) are wising up
to Mp3 as maybe not being so bad for the industry - just bad for the
middleman. Now that U2 is praising Mp3 players and backing iPod maybe
they'll shut up and give us some GOOD artists and quit wondering why sales
are flat (Sorry, it's just not worth buying a one-song CD by some
flash-in-the-night group. I'll gladly buy a CD to support my favorite
artist...if they'd actually give me one). I even bought one off a group in
Nashville and was surprised how much better engineered the CD was compared
to the mass produced CD's. Maybe the artist has better control if they sell
off their website. Dunno.

Gawd, this DRM crap makes me sick. Ripping it and not being able to get it
off the player is another stupid DRM issue too. I'm getting tired of
re-engineering their crappy public release copies of CD's as well (i.e.
compression, expansion, clipping, distortion, drop-outs, etc.). Now that
ID3v2.4 has included images in Mp3 files no doubt that is illegal too --
opps, that'd be two copyright infringements: image and song.

Time for my meds and bed.

Oh, by the way. Someone tell Norah Jones that she needs to wear a bra
too..... Gravity ain't been nice to her.

B~

Don Pearce

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:41:14 GMT, "B. Peg"
wrote:

[...]

This all sounds pretty dire. Did any of you get to watch the Brits
last week? Nobody lip-synched - and everybody rocked (even Gwen).

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
dt king

"Guido" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

I am NOT a big fan of Melissa Ethridge but she absolutely STOLE the
show tonight. Period.

Wowee wow wow wow.

Amen to that. I have to wonder if Joss Stone was remorseful about sharing a
stage with her -- looked like Ethridge was channeling Joplin.

dtk

B. Peg

"Don Pearce"
Did any of you get to watch the Brits last week? Nobody lip-synched - and
everybody
rocked (even Gwen).

I missed it. Oddly, I am buying more Brit/European music of late. I just
cannot tolerate some of our "domestic" artists. Just wait until it comes to
your shores (sink the boat before it happens!).

B~

Don Pearce

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:09:28 GMT, "B. Peg"
wrote:

"Don Pearce"
Did any of you get to watch the Brits last week? Nobody lip-synched - and
everybody
rocked (even Gwen).

I missed it. Oddly, I am buying more Brit/European music of late. I just
cannot tolerate some of our "domestic" artists. Just wait until it comes to
your shores (sink the boat before it happens!).

B~

Well, we had some US performers - Gwen, as I have said. And a US group
that really only happened when they came here - the Scissor Sisters.,
Green Day did American Idiot. I think the whole show was more about
the performances than the awards, and it came from Earls Court - a
venue that UK sound men have had under control for years.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Joe Sensor

Guido wrote:

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

I agree with most of your assessments. Except I think U2 have become
posers. They are selling on name recognition alone. The one song on the
new album is probably the best thing they have going, and it is
extremely weak. Other songs on that thing, really blow. Big time. They
don't have any heart in it anymore. The opposite of Melissa, who throws
her whold heart into it.

And the song with the whole group of big names singing near the end?
That thing was dreadful, just horrible. Made me cringe.

My 1 1/2 cents worth.

John Halliburton

And the song with the whole group of big names singing near the end? That
thing was dreadful, just horrible. Made me cringe.

Which one, the gospel/rap set? I'll walk a long way to hear the Blind Boys
of Alabama, but I just don't apreciate what passes for music by some...

I'd be honored to be on the same stage as Melissa channeling Janis, and IMO,
Joss has the talent and potential to have a great career.

Alicia? Great chops, but she's seemed smashed the last couple of times I've
caught an acceptance speech she's made. Love to hear her do a set Queen
Latifa covering some Aretha.

Best regards,

John

I think recovering from breast cancer reatment would be an excusable
use for lip-synching, if she was (I didn't see the performace, myself).

Charles Krug

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:52:40 -0600, Joe Sensor
wrote:
Guido wrote:

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Add Melissa to this list of "Women who are MUCH hotter Without hair than
I am WITH hair."

Sigourney Weaver (Aliens^3)
Heck, even Sinead O'Conner

M. MacDonald

I probably should have done something better than watch it. I just read
where the viewership was down 20% from last year and it was beaten by
"Desparate Housewives." In some cities, it was down in third place. Maybe
it should be called "Desparate Artists" next year so people would be
confused and "maybe" tune in. Too bad they didn't throw in a best concert
performance.

Anyone notice that anytime a legend dies almost all awards go to them. God
help anyone who comes out with a country hit in the year Willie Nelson dies.

Seriously, the industry is in a rut and the labels have been pushing
everyone with no talent on us. Anyone who can rap can be an artist and so
we have a flood of them. Too bad many rely on Auto-Tune to sound good and
most have no writing or playing ability. They are more like music actors
and there are so many it is difficult to get a large fanbase following as it
was thirty years ago.

Melissa Ethridge played off her cancer bout well and gets a sympathy crutch
for doing so. I thought it was cheap and self-serving since we have family
going through chemo now as well but none feel a need to promote their
plight. Sheryl Crow wants to promote her body by wearing little as did
Jennifier Lopez did last year. Sorry, she's a bit old for it and doesn't
have the body of say Shania who knows it but doesn't draw attention to it as
does Sheryl with her bragging comments. I agree that Norah, as young as she
is, should have worn a bra as well. She found her coddling niche in being a
young female in a field where most are old. I never thought she had much of
a vocal range to make it in another genre.

U2 is more of a shill for Apple's ipod. I really don't get their new CD and
it is at the bottom of my CD case. Now they are saying one song was for the
death of a family member - no doubt an attempt to make it single number two.
Another sympathy crutch. Their concert ticket sales are very good but had
it not been for prior songs I doubt if "How to Dismantle..." would stand on
its own. Hope they sing some of their famous tracks and keep their politics
out of the show.

And they wonder why sales are down.

My two cents.

Mack

Kurt Albershardt

Don Pearce wrote:

Did any of you get to watch the Brits
last week? Nobody lip-synched - and everybody rocked (even Gwen).

Delightfully lacking in bombast and peppered with skillful use of the Language.

Kurt Albershardt

Guido wrote:
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

I am NOT a big fan of Melissa Ethridge but she absolutely STOLE the
show tonight. Period.

Wowee wow wow wow.

Indeed.

Some of the others seemed adrift without their AutoTune (ouch!)

Don Pearce

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:41:12 -0800, Kurt Albershardt
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

Did any of you get to watch the Brits
last week? Nobody lip-synched - and everybody rocked (even Gwen).

Delightfully lacking in bombast and peppered with skillful use of the Language.

We used to be really crap at such events, but I think it is now a
better show than the Grammies.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
david

I found out today that a song I recorded/mixed/mastered for a tribute
Ella Jenkins album won a Grammy last night. I didn't even know it had
been nominated.

I can finally die in peace. ;

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Scott Dorsey

david wrote:
I found out today that a song I recorded/mixed/mastered for a tribute
Ella Jenkins album won a Grammy last night. I didn't even know it had
been nominated.

I can finally die in peace. ;

WOO WOO! Now you have to buy us all drinks at the next AES show...

hank alrich

Don Pearce wrote:

I think it is now a better show than the Grammies.

Damned by faint praise. (Just kidding, Don!)

--
ha

I didn't catch the acceptance speech, but her performance was awesome
and the duet with Jamie Foxx was really amazing, IMO. They did a great
job, such a great job that I quit watching after that, thinking that it
was only going to go downhill. Sounds like I was right except for
perhaps Melissa Etheridge.

Any other standout performances?

John

Joe Sensor

david wrote:

I found out today that a song I recorded/mixed/mastered for a tribute
Ella Jenkins album won a Grammy last night. I didn't even know it had
been nominated.

I can finally die in peace. ;

Congrats David! Good work.
Guido

What "playing of her cancer bout" are you referring to...the fact that
she was bald? Jeez.... I guess yer family are the ONLY ones dealing
with cancer, eh?

And as for U2 being a 'shill"... and dedicating it to Bono's father a
"crutch"???? What's your ****ing problem , dude? Their sales are fine.
Their shows sold out. And most people I know agree with their politics,
so.... your "two cents" don't hold water, sport.

And that's MY too sense.

And Ray Charles deserved every award he got. And Sheryl can wear as
little as she'd like, in my opinion. Shania, my ass. GImme Sheryl ANY
time. Why doncha see if "Queer Eye..." needs another fashion expert.
Lol...

Sour grapes, anyone?

Sheesh....

Joe Sensor

Guido wrote:

What "playing of her cancer bout" are you referring to...the fact that
she was bald? Jeez.... I guess yer family are the ONLY ones dealing
with cancer, eh?

And as for U2 being a 'shill"... and dedicating it to Bono's father a
"crutch"???? What's your ****ing problem , dude? Their sales are fine.
Their shows sold out. And most people I know agree with their politics,
so.... your "two cents" don't hold water, sport.

And that's MY too sense.

And Ray Charles deserved every award he got. And Sheryl can wear as
little as she'd like, in my opinion. Shania, my ass. GImme Sheryl ANY
time. Why doncha see if "Queer Eye..." needs another fashion expert.
Lol...

Sour grapes, anyone?

Sheesh....

Damn, Guido. You are so fiesty. And I like it!
RBI Rocks

Guido wrote:
They were great!

They won Best New Artist!

Acually, Los Lonely Boys won for Pop Performance by a Duo or Group With
Vocal, for their song "Heaven".
Maroon 5 were the Best New Artist winners.
(according to aol's list of Grammy winners) (;

-Joe O

M. MacDonald

"Guido" wrote:
What "playing of her cancer bout" are you referring to...the fact that
she was bald? Jeez.... I guess yer family are the ONLY ones dealing
with cancer, eh?

To your dismay, it appears, we don't go around showing our incisions and
bald heads to anyone looking for sympathy or promotion. Get it? You
obviously don't as she hooked you on the ploy.

And as for U2 being a 'shill"... and dedicating it to Bono's father a
"crutch"???? What's your ****ing problem , dude? Their sales are fine.

Enjoy your U2 iPod (I love groups who speak out against piracy and then jump
on the Mp3 bandwagon). Their sales are fine. I never said they weren't.
Just not outstanding -- and neither is the CD. Check out Amazon.com on
buyer's opinions. I wouldn't call 3 1/2 out of 5 stars (858 reviewers) good
for a group of their caliber. Good enough for concert sales though.

Their shows sold out. And most people I know agree with their politics,
so.... your "two cents" don't hold water, sport.

Ever hear of the problem with the crowd that walked out on Linda Ronstadt in
Las Vegas when she went off on politics? I glad you'll pay someone to "not
entertain" you at a concert but rather allow them to use it as a soapbox for
politics, religion, or whatever. I pay to be entertained -- not preached
to. Get it?

And Ray Charles deserved every award he got.

It would have been more true had they given to him while he was alive, no?
Why was he great then, but now is greater (award wise) after his death?

And Sheryl can wear as
little as she'd like, in my opinion. Shania, my ass. GImme Sheryl ANY
time.

Gladly.

Mack

hank alrich

M. MacDonald wrote:

Ever hear of the problem with the crowd that walked out on Linda Ronstadt in
Las Vegas when she went off on politics?

Ever catch on that the majority of the crowd there that night did not
walk out on her?

--
ha
Guido

To your dismay, it appears, we don't go around showing our incisions
and
bald heads to anyone looking for sympathy or promotion. =A0Get it? =A0You
obviously don't as she hooked you on the ploy

**** you. She rocked out...period. I didn't even notice the chemo cut
until my wife pointed out she had recently gone through breast cancer
treaments. Didn't bother me in the slightest. Thought she rocked out
regardless, get it?

Enjoy your U2 iPod (I love groups who speak out against piracy and

then jump
on the Mp3 bandwagon). =A0Their sales are fine. =A0I never said they
weren't.
Just not outstanding -- and neither is the CD. =A0Check out Amazon.com on

buyer's opinions. =A0I wouldn't call 3 1/2 out of 5 stars (858 reviewers)
good
for a group of their caliber. =A0Good enough for concert sales though.

Get over it. They STILL rock. And you are....whom, exactly? FWIW... I
don' own an iPod. I've never downloaded a song as mp3's suck...so what
IS yer point, exactly? Oh... that they are wildly popular. As for
Amazon.com reviews.... I never read 'em, sport. Your argument and yer
point are both MOOT...to MOST people.

Ever hear of the problem with the crowd that walked out on Linda

Ronstadt in
Las Vegas when she went off on politics? =A0I glad you'll pay someone to
"not
entertain" you at a concert but rather allow them to use it as a
soapbox for
politics, religion, or whatever. =A0I pay to be entertained -- not
preached
to. =A0Get it?

Got it. Ever hear of freedom of speech? He dedicated a song to his
father. And, again... I personally agree w/ Bono's politics...got that?
And your bitching about it here is "on topic", I suppose? Lol...

t would have been more true had they given to him while he was alive,

no?
Why was he great then, but now is greater (award wise) after his
death?

Uhh... Ray won plenty of awards in his lifetime. And I feel they
awarded him the Album of the Year Grammy because his was the best of
the bunch nominated. Dig?

Doooooddd... you sound like Debbie Downer on SNL. Go bum out some other
newsgroup.... or at least post a link to music that YOU make. Short of
that...

Get over it.=20

Get it?=20

Guido

Ops...you are correct, sir. My bad. Maroon 5 are pretty damn good,
actually. Their lyrics are kind of lame but I dig their music.

Guido

Ops...you are correct, sir. My bad. Maroon 5 are pretty damn good,
actually. Their lyrics are kind of lame but I dig their music.

This was in reply to the Los Lonely Boys post correcting my mistake....

Bob Cain

M. MacDonald wrote:

To your dismay, it appears, we don't go around showing our incisions and
bald heads to anyone looking for sympathy or promotion. Get it? You
obviously don't as she hooked you on the ploy.

Ya know, her doing that might just help get someone out of
the house that was ashamed of how they look.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Kurt Albershardt

Guido wrote:
To your dismay, it appears, we don't go around showing our incisions
and bald heads to anyone looking for sympathy or promotion. �Get it?
You obviously don't as she hooked you on the ploy

**** you. She rocked out...period. I didn't even notice the chemo cut
until my wife pointed out she had recently gone through breast cancer
treaments. Didn't bother me in the slightest. Thought she rocked out
regardless, get it?

Last night I just figured it was some kind of fashion statement--and admired the chutzpah (and the bright eyes) behind it.

John Halliburton

Ever hear of the problem with the crowd that walked out on Linda Ronstadt
in Las Vegas when she went off on politics? I glad you'll pay someone to
"not entertain" you at a concert but rather allow them to use it as a
soapbox for politics, religion, or whatever. I pay to be entertained --
not preached to. Get it?

You pay to see who you want-that doesn't mean by a long shot that music
shouldn't be used as a form of protest or politicizing. It's a medium that
can be used for entertainment as well as providing awareness of issues of
the time.

Frankly, I'm glad Linda "got political" on stage.

The Irish risked jail death for playing their music in public, and this
repression last hundreds of years(starting in Elizabeth's reign, in spite of
her having an Irish harpist in her entourage). The playing of the music
became a statement of protest and rebellion as much as anything else for the
Irish.

It's fine if you don't want to listen to music with a political message, but
there's no way your going to get me to think that the two are mutually
exclusive.

JHH

John Halliburton

I'll take a "mediocre" U2 album over a lot of other works anyday.

The record execs are nervous because technology and people who embrace it
have found a way to circumvent their marketing of schlock and one album
wonders-they are not interested in promoting a group like U2, who become
popular enough(read that as $$ enough) to own their own record company, or
at least get a good deal.

JHH

Geoff Wood

"M. MacDonald" wrote in message .

U2 is more of a shill for Apple's ipod. I really don't get their new CD
and it is at the bottom of my CD case.

With their money you think at least they could learn to count properly in
espanol .

geoff

S O'Neill

M. MacDonald wrote:

(I love groups who speak out against piracy and then jump on the Mp3
bandwagon)

I own a car yet I am against car theft. WTF?

B. Peg

You pay to see who you want-that doesn't mean by a long shot that music
shouldn't be used as a form of protest or politicizing. It's a medium
that can be used for entertainment as well as providing awareness of
issues of the time.

Frankly, I'm glad Linda "got political" on stage.

I Googled and found this about the Linda incident:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...517195568.html
I'd have to agree it after reading it that wasn't the time nor place and
could understand how some non-Michael Moore people could find it offensive.
It wasn't the song but the preaching behind it. I go to church to be
preached to. I also go to concerts for entertainment and relaxation. If the
policial message is in the song and I happen to like the song then that's my
entertainment. Some songs I never listen to the lyrics (sometimes I cannot
distinguish the works without a reading the lyrics), but just to the beat or
the hook. At a concert, if they wish to preach I'd as soon leave it to my
pastor or the morning news head.
Seems half of Linda's fans turned against her that night, if this country is
50-50 politically split. I wouldn't be concerned unless I were her
management and she lost half her fanbase that quick. It is almost impossible
to change someone's politics unless the change affects them for the good. I
don't know if she was trying to accomplish that but it seems something went
wrong since the hotel management gave her the golden boot as well.

The Irish risked jail death for playing their music in public, and this
repression last hundreds of years(starting in Elizabeth's reign, in spite
of her having an Irish harpist in her entourage). The playing of the
music became a statement of protest and rebellion as much as anything else
for the Irish.

This could be said of gangsta rap and their rebellious lyrics. Can't say
I've heard much airplay as the FCC seems to have clamped down on
inappropriate words with severe fines. Maybe they are on satellite.

It's fine if you don't want to listen to music with a political message,
but there's no way your going to get me to think that the two are mutually
exclusive.

They are exclusive if they are not part of the song. Singing is one thing. A
political rally advertised as a concert is another matter. That was where
Linda went wrong.

B~

B. Peg

The record execs are nervous because technology and people who embrace it
have found a way to circumvent their marketing of schlock and one album
wonders-they are not interested in promoting a group like U2, who become
popular enough(read that as $$ enough) to own their own record company, or
at least get a good deal.

True to a point. Some may jump at the chance to manage U2. I mentioned above
that I bought a CD from a Nashville group who was formerly with the Epic or
Sony label. Just seemed odd sending an $8 check to a home address in
Nashville though. CD showed up quickly though so some bands are doing the
footwork and getting more $$ for doing so. Engineering quality of the CD
was better as well which surprised me and no song clipped when I was
preparing the mp3 playlist. iTunes and the like may steer more money to the
artists in the future and cut the middleman and labels out, or they may
become the new middleman themselves (probable). Cannot blame the artists
for selling off their websites as I see more doing it. Some have really nice
sites. Only problem is finding out who the new groups are without the
current record execs controlling it.

B~

Kurt Albershardt

B. Peg wrote:
You pay to see who you want-that doesn't mean by a long shot that music
shouldn't be used as a form of protest or politicizing. It's a medium
that can be used for entertainment as well as providing awareness of
issues of the time.

Frankly, I'm glad Linda "got political" on stage.

I Googled and found this about the Linda incident:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...517195568.html
I'd have to agree it after reading it that wasn't the time nor place and
could understand how some non-Michael Moore people could find it offensive.
It wasn't the song but the preaching behind it. I go to church to be
preached to. I also go to concerts for entertainment and relaxation. If the
policial message is in the song and I happen to like the song then that's my
entertainment.

Just be aware that the LV Sun is also political entertainment, and coming from a distinct worldview.

jtougas

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:44:21 +1300, "Geoff Wood"
wrote:

"M. MacDonald" wrote in message .

U2 is more of a shill for Apple's ipod. I really don't get their new CD
and it is at the bottom of my CD case.

With their money you think at least they could learn to count properly in
espanol .

My spanish is bit rusty (errr... close to nonexistant) but I think
'cortose' means 'begin'.

Feel free to correct me if your ears and spanish are better than mine.
:-)