Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default what is the minimum size of a listening room (stereo music)?

Hi,

"What size room is best (for a listening room)?

To this question rec.audio FAQ answers: "For smoothest bass response, a
listening room should be as large as possible".
The FAQ also provides with ideal proportions of the room, speakers
position, etc, but it does not tell about the *minimum* requirements
for the size of a room that can still be accepted for decent listening
of hi-fi stereo...

I am living abroad at the moment and I have to rent a room. The one
that I have now is pretty small. I would like to buy a stereo (cd
player+amp+2 speakers) for about $1500 and I am considering if it makes
any sense to buy hi-fi if the room is so small - about 3m x 4m. Maybe I
could rent a bigger room, but not too big because of terribly high room
prices in London...(I prefer to spend on hi-fi than on rent, but on the
other side I need the room of the right (?mx?m) size)

Two questions:
1. What are the minimum room size requirements that can still be
accepted for a listening room?
2. Does it make any sense to buy a hi-fi for a temporary room when in
the future this hi-fi will be used in different room?

Thank you for your help!

Andrew