Stefania Castelli

Default Recording Level Through Sound Board Line In...

Hello,
I read the FAQ but I wasn't able to find a similar issue.
I've got a lot of rare vinyl records.
For a long and happy period of time I used my Technics sl 1200 plus an
Ortophone Cartridge to perfectly record this analogic signal to my hard disk
and then clean it with some tools.
I never experienced recording level troubleshooting.
Lately I upgraded my old Pentium II to a new OS (Win XP Pro sp1) and bought
a new more powered PC with the same OS installed.

And recording became a nightmare.

I tried 5 different cheap sound board experiencing different results.
But I didn't find one really useful.
Some boards (and their drivers) has a too much high sensitivity and the
windows mixer isn't able to reduce the high recording input (even if the
slide is set to zero).
Some others are the perfect contrary.
They behave like the signal is too low and even if I set to maximum the line
in slide, the recording volume isn't enough to get a good product.

I would't like to alter the original RIAA output signal from my Amplifier
with some other analog equipments.

And I think is unuseful to buy a more expansive board (I don't need
particular game effects or digital processing hardware).
I do need a line in with a normal trimming software working.

Sorry for this long and bad expressed post.
But in a world of games and movies with Dolby 5+1 digital sound, it seems a
crazy situation to be unable to record a normal stereophonic vinyl source...

And I'm a 40 years old girl grew up with wires, records, tapes and
electronic stuff....

Thank you

Stefania
Padova