Sam

Default Left channel tweeter buzz

Boston Acoustic A40 speakers left channel tweeter buzz when full
orchestra is playing. Right channel seems to be fine. The buzz can be
heard even when volumn is low. The buzz was not notised until
yesterday when I installed the new replacement woofers from Boston
Acoustic. If it is playing less demanding music than full orchestra
then no buzz can be heard. I tried to switch the left and right
speakers. I did not hear the buzz from either channel at once, but I
just got a feeling that buzz will come back and again will be from the
left channel. The other units a Onkyo C220 CD changer and Marantz
2220 Receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you
in advance!

Sam

Gene Poon

Sam wrote:
Boston Acoustic A40 speakers left channel tweeter buzz when full
orchestra is playing. Right channel seems to be fine. The buzz can be
heard even when volumn is low. The buzz was not notised until
yesterday when I installed the new replacement woofers from Boston
Acoustic. If it is playing less demanding music than full orchestra
then no buzz can be heard. I tried to switch the left and right
speakers. I did not hear the buzz from either channel at once, but I
just got a feeling that buzz will come back and again will be from the
left channel. The other units a Onkyo C220 CD changer and Marantz
2220 Receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you
in advance!

===========================

Let us know if it comes back in the same channel or the same
loudspeaker. Then and only then, you can start narrowing it down.

The Marantz 2220 is plenty old and a lot of things could have happened
to it over the decades. Perhaps it needs a tweak to the output stage
idle current to restore proper operation. Perhaps a soldered or plug-in
connection is bad someplace. Perhaps it actually needs repair due to
parts that have gone off-value (some resistors inside that unit tend to
run very warm and can go off with time).

Perhaps you have a dirty connection at an RCA jack. Perhaps a corroded
or poor connection internally on the plug of an interconnect. Perhaps
the A40 has a loose winding on the voice coil of the tweeter.

-GP