Posted to rec.audio.pro
Morvak Morvak is offline

Default Some help with creating music ?

I have propellerhead and have no problem sitting down when inspired
and using my mouse to put down the "notes" to a 30 secondish melody.

i've never taken a music class in my life, i'm not looking to create a
masterpiece, but i would like to create a 3 minute song for just once.

i don't really go at it with the melody in my head. i usually pick
Strings or Flute or something like that and just start playing with
the notes and melodies to get something that sounds good from how i'm
feeling (happy, sad, angry)

and i also do the typical "build up".. where i do 1 instrument.. then
build in the drum hi hat... then build into the steady drum pattern
then build in the next instrument...

it's like i have this built in way of doing things i can't break out
of.

then i'm listening to the melody over and over and over and over and i
like it but i just cant get past that 10-20-30 second loop. it's like
i'm only able to create short bits like this.

how do i get out of this so i can finish a song?

and then while i'm creating this song, i'll hear another idea in my
head and go work on ANOTHER song. it's like i have all these
unfinished projects. i hate it.

any advice ? thanks in advance!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Rutman Neil Rutman is offline

try and find 2 or 3 of your melody ideas that will work together, than you
have the makings of a full song. You might have to change the key of some of
the lines to make them work.

Neil R

"Scott Smith" wrote in message
. ..
You might also try posting this in rec.music.makers.songwriting.

"Morvak" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
YourHomeStudioDotCom YourHomeStudioDotCom is offline

What you are doing is writing in musical phrases. A typical 3 minute
song will consist of 3 musical verses and at least 2 musical choruses.
If you take a 3 minute song and divide it by 5 (3 verses/2choruses),
you get sections of 35 to 40 seconds. Most often verses and choruses
consist of 4 phrases with the 1st and 3rd and the 2nd and 4th being
the same which brings the length of the phrase down to about 10
seconds or so (fits nicely doesn't it). So the idea of taking your
short ideas and stringing them together should work and the more you
do of it, the better you'll be at it. I hope this makes sense to you.

Good Luck,

Thomas
www.yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

"Morvak" wrote:

i've never taken a music class in my life, i'm not looking to create a
masterpiece, but i would like to create a 3 minute song for just once.

Nothing beats some formal training. Sit down with a beginning
guitar teacher and learn the basics of song structure.

how do i get out of this so i can finish a song?

any advice ? thanks in advance!

In the mean time you might try fitting the pieces you have
together into a 'model' of an existing successful song.
Take a classic Beatles song and put your parts into a similar
arrangement.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"RD Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Morvak" wrote:

i've never taken a music class in my life, i'm not looking to create a
masterpiece, but i would like to create a 3 minute song for just once.

Nothing beats some formal training. Sit down with a beginning
guitar teacher and learn the basics of song structure.

Better yet, get a songwriting teacher (or book) - I've been teaching
songwriting for almost 15 years. A guitarist won't necessarily know how to
teach song structure. Apples and oranges.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku