Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Edward R. Morris Edward R. Morris is offline

Default Bias and Balance pots

Hello,
I have a Scott 272 and I would like to replace the bias and balance pots
with more reliable pots. Does anybody here have any suggestion on what kind
of pots I need and what wattage I should be looking for. I looked at
mouser.com and I know the ohm rating for the pots but it's like looking for
a needle in a haystack especially when you don't know what type you need.

Thanks everyone,
Eddie

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Edward R. Morris wrote:

Pots come in several designations. In no particular order:

Audio Taper (Logarithmic)
Linear Taper
Tapped
Untapped

And of several materials:

Carbon
Carbon composition
Wire-Wound

Some are multiple turn
Some are center-null and some are center-open, most are continuous.

Then the ratings (in watts) they can carry reliably.

Typically (and understand that I have no knowledge of the Scott
specifics) bias and balance pots are linear and untapped. Bias and
balance pots are usually continuous. Neither take much load.

These should do it, if the values are appropriate:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/552.pdf

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Edward R. Morris" wrote in message

Hello,
I have a Scott 272 and I would like to replace the
bias and balance pots with more reliable pots. Does
anybody here have any suggestion on what kind of pots I
need and what wattage I should be looking for. I looked
at mouser.com and I know the ohm rating for the pots but
it's like looking for a needle in a haystack especially
when you don't know what type you need.

I can't find online schematics for the 272.

Here is the best archive of scott schematics I can find:

http://hhscott.com/database/vhhs_00011.html

My faint recollection is that the LK72 was very similar to the 272, and this
page has a schematic for the LK72.

If you have the space for them, the reasonable-overkill replacement pot of
choice would be a RV4NAY-type 2 watt potentiometer of the appropriate
resistance value and with a linear taper, such as the ones listed he

https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Produc...dDS/241568.pdf