Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Default Getting started in DIY audio.

Hi RATs!

OK, this Usenet group is not the place to start. A couple of us have
gotten lucky with our homebrew ear toys, occasionally, but, mostly, we
are here to exercise our personality disorders.

Not exorcise, we do not seek to get better, just make our enemies feel
a little worse, if possible.

Most of us assume our stupid prejudices make us interesting to read.
Sigh.

We want to be clear where in this snake pit we wish to strut our stupid
rattles.

Some of us may be a bit less ignorant than we appear, but, not much ...

Years ago there were folks here who could give a useful answer to a
simple question, but, they wandered off when so many of us started
puking our scientific cult guts out on the truly important topics in
the Audio arena, like the skin effect of wires and the True Meaning of
ABX tests, as if the only thing anyone had to do to enjoy their system
fully was learn to test it properly.

Real Audio Guys are quick to share that developing a good set of
critical listening tools make all systems sound wretched, not give one
fuller appreciation of the truly good ones, the simple fact is there
are none

No system is ever going to convince a trained ear that it does not
compromise the reproduction in many obvious ways. If you are sure there
is no hope for enjoying Audio, you are wrong.

There simply is no hope for learning how to enjoy Audio from the
******s in this group.

I really enjoy listening. My brains are starved for blood and I am
heavily medicated. This is a good way to enjoy Audio, but, I didn't
learn it here, hear?

I also enjoy trying circuits and parts and stuff like that. It is
simply a fool's errand. Not many of us admit our folly

Many love to preach their insane gospel. I just like to hear stuff in
my room.

So, it is a big Internet. If you want to find out some useful
information, keep looking.

If you just want to dump a load of stupid crap into this vulgar little
swamp, Welcome!

Happy Ears!
Al

PS there are lists which are useful. Just not as fun as this one.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

tubegarden wrote:

OK, this Usenet group is not the place to start. A couple of us have
gotten lucky with our homebrew ear toys, occasionally, but, mostly, we
are here to exercise our personality disorders.

Be careful with this lest you be accused of that most awful of
heresies... the Truth.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Horse****, Al.

Good tech posts were and are ignored and a good fight is much enjoyed,
but that's Usenet.

The fact is that if fidelity is the standard, serious audio is not
trivial,which is what attracts some of us. A lot of the tube people,
in particular, like sloppy seconds sound, which is okay if they are not
going around telling people that this is the way things are supposed to
be.

If making weird noises amuses you go for it. But don't misrepresent it
as high fidelity.

Hi RATs!

High Fidelity is misrepresentaion

It is fun trying, but, pretending we are anywhere close to hearing more
of the noises the musicians make than the noises the recording and
playback systems make is just blowing smoke

Serious Audio is not trivial. It is stupid 8^P

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andy Evans Andy Evans is offline

OK, this Usenet group is not the place to start. A couple of us have
gotten lucky with our homebrew ear toys, occasionally, but, mostly, we
are here to exercise our personality disorders.

Be careful with this lest you be accused of that most awful of
heresies... the Truth.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

This group is just a bunch of superannuated old vultures practicing
Alzheimers on the net as a dry run to getting it in the real world.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:

So Al, it isn't just a matter of ****ing around in amusing ways, and
**** YOU for saying it is, This is people's LIVES, for all the world to
see, at stake. Judy Garland gave her life to sing like that. For all
her faults, that's her life in that recording. **** you, **** you, ****
you for saying that's not to be taken seriously. You ****er.

Hi RATs!

Judy sang. That was her life.

Listening to mechanical echoes is fun. It ain't life.

So, get over it. Find some one to sing to you, in this air, now.

It won't be Judy, but it can be even better

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Raymond Koonce Raymond Koonce is offline

tubegarden wrote:
Bret Ludwig wrote:

snip snip snip

Find some one to sing to you, in this air, now.

It won't be Judy, but it can be even better

Happy Ears!
Al

Let's talk about Music. Check out Ingrid Lucia. She'll sing for you.

Raymond
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Bret Ludwig wrote:

All the above people are either dead, or they can no longer do what
they did years ago. That work is irreplaceable. As with people who
preserve classic film and photographs, the conservation and best
possible playback of these recordings is our only link to who we were
and where we come from. If you choose to **** off, fine. Stay out of
the way of your betters, you freak.

Hi RATs!

I am not in anyone's way. You are simply a road hog. Betters? You sound
more like bitters ... why else dump your grouchy keystrokes on a Usenet
group dedicated to a hobby you can't enjoy? You think hating other
people for their hobbies is healthy? I am the good guy, with a fun
hobby. You are a dysfunctional moron with stupid hatreds. Get a real
life, tin ear. You career as a biting social critic never started. You
are typing to your own shadow. It has no sense of humor, neither.
Mirrors are great lovers ... for really lonely cretins.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"tubegarden" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Well said Al. I'm almost tempted to forward this to Professor Turner. You
caught the essence of what my major complaint about him was. You can judge
how big a man is on how he treats those below him, i.e. waitress, store
clerks, less tube knowledge, etc.
Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Hi RATs!

OK, this Usenet group is not the place to start. A couple of us have
gotten lucky with our homebrew ear toys, occasionally, but, mostly, we
are here to exercise our personality disorders.

Not exorcise, we do not seek to get better, just make our enemies feel
a little worse, if possible.

Ah, the futility of Holy Wars.

I have just finished a large book on the history of Holy Wars,
and the unneccessary generation of pools of blood all around the globe,
and the micro climate of war here on r.a.t isn't much better.....

The vast majority of recent posts are simply a pile of BS....

Seems like its the holiday period where one would expect people to
discuss their
audio craft activities, but none are, and I have little reason to be
here.
Maybe all the dudes who wanted to build their amps before they turned 50
did so, or gave up, and
when they turned 55, they finally caved in to demands of wives, family,
and laziness and BS, which is much the western world position of white
middle class men.

Most of us assume our stupid prejudices make us interesting to read.
Sigh.

But one man;s judgement is another man's prejudice.

One is entitled to use one's rational mind to explore the experience
of music.

We want to be clear where in this snake pit we wish to strut our stupid
rattles.

Some of us may be a bit less ignorant than we appear, but, not much ...

Years ago there were folks here who could give a useful answer to a
simple question, but, they wandered off when so many of us started
puking our scientific cult guts out on the truly important topics in
the Audio arena, like the skin effect of wires and the True Meaning of
ABX tests, as if the only thing anyone had to do to enjoy their system
fully was learn to test it properly.

Well, simple answers are still to be had from this direction at least.

Of course some of what i may say isn't always liked, or what ppl wanted
to hear,
but then I challenge BS when i see it....

Nothing wrong with ABX resting, and building system after system and
comparing
each as one PROCEEDS FORWARD, rather than going in circles or backward
or sideways,
which is what happens when anyone refuses to compare anything.
This does not mean we reject the different sounding item, some items are
just different,
rather than better or worse; all good wines are drinkable, unless your
name is Mohommad.
So some peach juice is then as good as some rasberry juice? perhaps.
Certainly different, and both savourable, although there is no
accounting for taste.

Real Audio Guys are quick to share that developing a good set of
critical listening tools make all systems sound wretched, not give one
fuller appreciation of the truly good ones, the simple fact is there
are none

Who's the "Real Audio Guys"? is that a secret society who meets at
midnight
and has strange handshake routines?

I'm glad I know some critical listeners who force me to remember what
circuit
techniques seem to work and what don't.

No system is ever going to convince a trained ear that it does not
compromise the reproduction in many obvious ways. If you are sure there
is no hope for enjoying Audio, you are wrong.

Translated, any system does compromise reproduction.
Well, that's obvious after attending a live concert with no amplifers or
speakers present.
yet sometimes the recorded programme is MORE enjoyable than the live
performance
at some noisy venue....

There simply is no hope for learning how to enjoy Audio from the
******s in this group.

Ah, but you learn that the audio expereince is your own.
And about what not to do, if you stay long enough.

Over at rec.sexual.rootings, a guy like you is saying that you can't
learn
about how to enjoy sex from the discussions.
At rec.wine.grapes there's another guy who is saying
you can't learn about drinking from the group...

I really enjoy listening. My brains are starved for blood and I am
heavily medicated. This is a good way to enjoy Audio, but, I didn't
learn it here, hear?

Whatever you are on, it seems to do you little harm socially, and a more
social man
than yourself is a rare man indeed, but really this group was, or could
be about
using tubes in electronics, which means its going to be a mainly
technical discussion about audio power amps for audio, since that's the
use for tubes today for 95% of the people who have ever visited the
group.
I never expected any more, although discussions about what amps sound
best/worst are bound to occur, and with very little agreement,
eg, especially about comparisons between a high power SS amp
with 100dB NFB and a low power SET amp with no loop FB.

Men are eternally hopeless at discussions about emotional matters,
and one cannot ever expect the slightest agreements about anything
subjective,
or about anything to do with religion, politics, finances, women, sex,
art, culture et all,
so I don't seek to understand any of these complex subjects
by raving on with what are effectively cheap telegrams posted to a
public
bulletin board where most i read is unsociable escape for deranged
agressive minds.
Boy, I sure can do without soc.men.

Men show enormous capacity to continue to be agressive for the hell of
it,
and to never admit they are incorrect, or could be, or that there is
some validity
in someone else's opinion that appears to be opposite to theirs.
The bloody and drearily terrible history of the Crusades show
what a defective species we are.

Music helps us get around the anxiety of the 1,001 things that give us
the ****s when
we think about them, IMHO.

I also enjoy trying circuits and parts and stuff like that. It is
simply a fool's errand. Not many of us admit our folly

Perhaps we are all fools to continue anything; one could say the world
is doomed anyway...
But that seems too depressing to me to accept.
I'd at least say perhaps not in my remaining lifetime, so I intend to
continue and I don't feel any
more a fool than anyone else who
naturally is capable of the wonderment of our overall situation
and that a day of fine weather where there was not troubles and all went
well
make for a nice life.

Many love to preach their insane gospel. I just like to hear stuff in
my room.

Well are all gospels insane?

Many hate the different and the things which are difficult to
understand.
Insane gospels have been around for a heck of a long time.
Some take a little analysis to work out the BS factor...
So to hear any gospel that for us makes sense we have to listen to
whatever is out there
some of the time at least, and write off what we find is insane for us.

Either you let the stream of worldy BS get to you, or you don't.
I don't have a TV in the house because of the perpetual stream of
"insane gospels" that are brought to me in sight and sound.
I long ago learnt to live without TV so I could focus on what I liked,
so i could DO my life, rather than be focused on all those other folks.

Listening to Motzart, Taichovsky, and a little Stravisnki sprinkled with
some
Debussy and Gershwin does me good when I get around to do it, which
isn't often,
because I am constantly spending time working on other people's
equipment that
requires my time to make it sing, because so many design issues must be
addressed,
and having the fine music playing distracts my brain.
I don't need to have a constant musical escape though;
not having too much to do with the outside world reduces the need
of soothing balm; I probably have more peace within me because I am not
a lot of things others seem to think are important.
I don't have a huge amount of stress.
No real need for "putting on the agony, putting on the style".
This is a result of personal policies; I don't let myself get too
involved
where I come off second best, out of pocket, or otherwise dissapointed.
When I see the crap other blokes seem to be wading through
after making the decisions they made, I count myself lucky.
A successful life is about avoiding a heck of a lot, and leaving
some room to please others, and learning from mistakes.
And I make some, like forgetting how hot a coffee pot is and ruining a
bench top...
Time to brew some more coffee....
I sometimes don't read a resistor value right, and waste an hour
fault finding... oh well, not a worry, because we must accept
that some of the time in our lives will be regretable, but
we mustn't let regret dominate us.

So, it is a big Internet. If you want to find out some useful
information, keep looking.

If you just want to dump a load of stupid crap into this vulgar little
swamp, Welcome!

Hmm, surely there is no need to welcome the dumpers of the crap any more
than
one has to.
A hundred posts go by, and when I take a look at most, its a usually a
one liner
of personal abuse that is nothing whatever to do with the thread header
so there is no point in a reply, or reading the thread.

Fortunately, if the Internet didn't exist I would still exist OK
and I sure don't NEED the internet, although at times it provides
a fascinating source of information that is easier to access than going
to a library.

The Net also allows many to give to others a message worth having, or
worth
enduring, for one reason or another....

I know what I need, and what i want, and the difference between need and
want.

Happy Ears!
Al

PS there are lists which are useful. Just not as fun as this one.

If a greater list develops, the accumulated POS might slip sideways
off the deck and into the briny deep and we'd all be better off.

But after we listen to a lot of Liszt, we can wonder WTF went on in that
man's mind as he penned some of the most difficult to play piano music.

Happy New Year to Everyone.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:

[...]

All I know is that the waitresses at my regular local cafe are mighty
happy to serve me and AFAIK, I have so very few enemies to deal with.
Hmm, the waitresses are mainly 40 years my junior, and
mainly scrumptiously attractive, as are the check out girls at the
supermarket.
Boy, to be 20 again, and be able to say to a waitress "Whatcha doin when
ya knock off work today?"
without being slapped as i might now if I asked that!
Luckily, I realise what those around me could give me, and what they
wouldn't.

Sometimes my ancient old mum says I say too much, but that's because her
mind
at 90 is slowing down and cannot think fast enough of any witty reply
to me. And women are more emotional than logical, let alone rhetorical.
Others at the dinner table seek the small talk rather than the
lofty discussions about the big issues of life without
getting emotionally upset. But I refuse the small talk mostly if I
can....
But when my mum was 60 she was a good match for my father who
seemed to have rather too much to say at table IMHO.
But at least I was brought up in an atmosphere of rational and sometimes
irrational discussions
and issues such as religion politics and sex were NOT forbidden, and
pity
help anyone who said something about history that was untrue;
my sisters would correct me if wrong, if my father or mother didn't
first.
After growing up i learnt not to give speaches without some reasons
for my beliefs.
This practice required constant forgiveness in advance and the idea that
tommorrow was another day.
And when I left home I found there were tragic cases of far worse BS
artistes than
myself, and all I had to do was STFU and let them make an idiot of
themselves.

BTW, I ain't a Professor. Just a bloke.

Please feel free to try out one's ideas on the group to see what they
think about them.

Sometimes one will come away covered in apple pie&cream thrown with a
vengeance,
but that's life.

To minimise the waste of pie, try working out what might be rational to
say
before just guessing.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Patrick,

Good answer, but West ain't worth the effort.

In a recent disagreement, West accuses me of lying about my product. Of
course, he's never seem or actually used it. That's the sort of groundless
ad hominem / slander attack that Jute is infamous for.

Apparently, he's not sharp enough to recognize who he should be learning
from.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

If a greater list develops, the accumulated POS might slip sideways
off the deck and into the briny deep and we'd all be better off.

But after we listen to a lot of Liszt, we can wonder WTF went on in that
man's mind as he penned some of the most difficult to play piano music.

Happy New Year to Everyone.

Patrick Turner.

Hi RATs!

Personally, I find most Piano music impossible to play, so Franz didn't
get any points from me on that score ...

Listening to Music is wonderful. The noises the musicians make, and the
uninvolved noises the venue add all are simply lost as my little mind
gleefully follows a melody line or marvels at strange rhythms and
harmonies, like a kitten and a string in a garden.

Holy Wars, Star Wars, War on Drugs, War on Poverty, War on War, all
these exciting titles and nothing but noisey messes left strewn about
after the Holy Warriors leave for neater pastures to mess up real good.

Yes, implementing Alan Blumlein's 'garter circuit' was fun and
refreshing. But, no pretty young women have attacked me in a rapturous
attempt to get themselves with child by the guy who actually
implemented a good idea ... or any other reason ... I will be 60 next
month. Just seeing them smile is a big enough thrill for this old
sickie

This is already a greater list than some think. We actually share our
silly hostilities and then come back for more.

We are human, and hostile, and having fun insulting a few or all.

It just might not get any better than that

We shall be overcome, but, that doesn't mean I want any of you
opinionated cavemen to come over ... just type your best and we shall
see

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jon Yaeger wrote:

Patrick,

Good answer, but West ain't worth the effort.

In a recent disagreement, West accuses me of lying about my product. Of
course, he's never seem or actually used it. That's the sort of groundless
ad hominem / slander attack that Jute is infamous for.

Apparently, he's not sharp enough to recognize who he should be learning
from.

Jon

I may appear like thw Greeks of Byzantine Constaninople, difficult to
tolerate
if anyone is a thick headed Crusader from the Frankish nations
of 1195.
Why would I worry too much with an aliance with someone warlike when the
Greeks had survived
400 years with the muslims living along side rather peacefully.
In fact until Constaninople was finally sacked and destroyed in holy
wars some centuries after the first
crusade, the West, or the Franks, ie, a conglomeration of French and
Italian and English and Papal State
war mongerers hadn't learnt very much and the present George Bush's
adventure to Iraq
and all western peoples effect on CO2 levels show that US & Co including
the peoples of Oz
and other western nations are attrociously slow learners about world
husbandry, and know little about leaving the world
in a better state than when they came into it.
While alive we run around desiring to own and control, but we can't ever
really own anything for long
or control things because we die.
So while we borrow some world for ourselves, we should seek to persuade,
rather than poke a sword
into guts along the way, and yeah, honesty is a fine thing.

When i compare the petty misdeeds and BS of any group to the large macro
past deeds and problems now facing the world
I am dismayed by what happens here, but not for long, it is of little
real concern, and so keep your cool,
and you may be sure that getting bad press at r.a.t does NOT translate
to poor sales in the real world.
Of course one has to tiresomely point out to thode appearing to lie what
they are lying about, but I for one
missed reading anything about the alleged lies, since I WILL NOT read
each and every post
of the day at r.a.t; I am here for tube craft, sharing ideas, and
expressing a technical opinion
even at the risk of being wrong, which I have been at times.

Perhaps those you disagree with may come around to seeing something more
worthy in you but
one has to remember that ANY discussion between men who don't have to
actually face each other
with mace and sword in an arena will sometimes be like angry dogs
barking at each other through
a wire fence.

But Jute and Allison and others now seem rather mercifully quiet, and
what they say now does not seem to grate
always as much as it used to; in fact Jute makes a lot of good sense if
you can ignore
his statements on being a crooked garage trader, and accept he likes to
entertain and much as inform.

By gorram, you could be a heck of a lot worse than a garage trader; you
could have led
a greater attack on law and order by helping Enron to manage its affairs
so badly.
Don't Worry, Be Happy, isn't that how the song went?
Give credit to those around you who see the major ****erupperers of the
world,
our late Saddam, Georgie, Enron&Co, et all, are the real people to be
worried about;
have faith that when they see who you are, they won't be afraid,
and they'll work out a deal with you.

I have weathered storms of criticisms lasting months in the past and I
doubt it did any damage
to sales. I stayed, while my foes seemed to retire awhile, and I remain
without regret,
except perhaps that i did not explain things more tactfully than I could
have,
but hey, I is a workin' man, and don't have the resources to employ
tact at all times when time is short!

My tip for the week.

Beware old 1960's Conrad Johnson RCA input sockets on the rear of the
preamps of that era.

I had a customer here who like many savvy Internet Cruizers buys off
Ebay, knowing if there
is somethin' wrong, he can haul it here and get a fix for an average of
around
10% of what he pays on Ebay. The CJ pre was a classic example, and it
had been mauled by some do
gooder audiophiles, and much poorly conceived mods had been made.
These were easily undone, and some more wisely considered mods
installed, some that CJ themselves
could have conceived better indeed.
I reckon all had missed the fact the RCA connectors go intermittent
after
several years because the relentless yawing around of stiff modern
interconnects
loosens the outer earth tube of the RCA socket and it no longer remains
crimped tight to the earth lug inside the amp.
So after awhile the phono inputs became especially noisy, and hastened
due to our dry
hot weather here; that may seem implausible, but wire and connector
corrosion
and oxidation is a real bother over time. Even I missed these dreadful
unsoldered connections created by CJ during my first
singing lessons with the CJ some months back.

It seems like the material used for the RCA outer sheaths is 'strange
metal', almost like stainless steel,
perhaps not, but anyway it seemed to solder up to the earth lugs, and
the amp became less noisy.
I gave a squeeze to the RCA pin grippers to tighten them, because thay
all go loose over time
and degrade sound more than audiophiles will realize while worrying
about what seems pointless to worry about.
Good tight clean connections first, cable brands costing $100 per metre
+ second, IMHO.

Finally the CJ seemed to STFU as much as it could considering it has
12AX7 as the phono amp tubes.
I found it was usable even with a an MC cart of 0.4mV sensitivity; a
tiny bit noisy
if close to the speakers, but very good for 12AX7, and totally hum free
in MY system.
For low level LP recordings, a quieter amp with a J-fet input is
required, and an option
for my customer is such a mod, and fairly easy to do in the circuit
board space available.
But will it remain hum-free when in my customer's system?
I'll find out in the days to come. I cannot assume I have succeeded
until I really know I have.

Meanwhile, I have as much work as I can poke a stick at right now, and
finding time to ride a
few miles every other day is a bother, but oh how insignificanr my
troubles become
when I am out pedling between horizons spanned by blue skies, and clean
sunshine, and with wind in my face
with a big hello to the lakes, the trees and rivers, and all the
creatures that our God
of everyone allowed to be here. The more I hear about God, the less I
can know about him.
I do NOT need Him, but He is there, and is Great, and greater than
anyone, and
And he seems rent with stretch marks as everyone tries to own Him,
and they surely misrepresent Him when they say He's on their side in
their warlike endeavours.
I don't believe he can be on everyone's "side" during wars or disputes.

Such a thing as God must exist, but so far nodody has prooved exactly
what he really is.

God is, of course, IMHO, more widely knwon as a creation largely of the
minds of the little big men of Organised Religion,
so I don't take seriously what most Popes, Rabbis, and Mullahs would say
in an effort
to control us, mainly becaue the human application of such limited
knowledge leads to
pools of blood. ( I'm not too fond of politicians' lies either ).
The Inventors of Religion started with a few good ideas which were bred
up to evolve into a mass
of BS.
When humans design a little dog, it somehow ends up being an elephant
during the production process,
and many are squashed. We start with one triode, then soon we have many
many transistors,
and the manual has many pages....is it progress? maybe it is if if the
knowledge helps heart surgery techniques,
or helps villagers in Afghanistan gather the cluster bombs dropped which
continue to maim them.

The universe contains an infinite amount of information because it has
an infinite amount of matter in it,
and the reason/s for its existance are utterly beyond our comprehension
because we are finite beings
with a set number of brain cells and we cannot contain the infinite
amount of knowledge OF the Universe,
not even if the 6 billions of us all were all able to join our brains to
make one big one,
and we were assisted by billions of super-computers lent to us by Bill
Gates.
We have such dim pathways to the knowledge of the Universe.
We have tiny puny little telescopes and we don't have a clue what much
of the Dark Matter is,
and the speed needed to trip around the universe to observe it is
limited severely with present knowledge and resources,
and is so arrogant of anyone to suggest they know all about it, or that
we COULD know all about it.
We scratch the surface of knowledge while self congratulating ourselves,
and we twist the knowledge and lie about it to get control of others.
Its BS to me, but in the midst of this a few are trying to figure it all
out, maybe they'll share the info,
and we should be grateful, and perhaps in 100,000 years we may know just
a tiny bit more,
and perhaps after some utterly inconceivable genetic manipulation of our
species.
I won't be around to worry about such follies..
But maybe it will take an infinite lifetime or infinite number of
generations to
comprehend the Universe with any certainty.

I think the Christians who want Christ without Religion are perhaps on a
rightful track for now.
Keep thinkin' about Christ, and leave out what the Popes have said, and
that's better for the people surely.
Have some time to see what the other inventors may have said as well.
I have more than one book on old fashioned analog electronics on my
shelf.

I want Audio without BS.

Al may never be a world leading audiological scientist, and nor will I,
but its fun being around....

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

If a greater list develops, the accumulated POS might slip sideways
off the deck and into the briny deep and we'd all be better off.

But after we listen to a lot of Liszt, we can wonder WTF went on in that
man's mind as he penned some of the most difficult to play piano music.

Happy New Year to Everyone.

Patrick Turner.

Hi RATs!

Personally, I find most Piano music impossible to play, so Franz didn't
get any points from me on that score ...

I never was drawn to the piano either, but though I cannot play one I
find
much to become carried away by when i hear one being played by
someone capable....
If my mum had kept a piano in her house after she married, I may have
taken to it,
but she married an un-musical man, and gave it up, but I later took up
the lesser instrument of steel stringed guitar, and learnt Woody Guthrie
tunes and styles during the
60's folk revival era.
I wish I had time to learn more....

Listening to Music is wonderful. The noises the musicians make, and the
uninvolved noises the venue add all are simply lost as my little mind
gleefully follows a melody line or marvels at strange rhythms and
harmonies, like a kitten and a string in a garden.

Its musing.......

Holy Wars, Star Wars, War on Drugs, War on Poverty, War on War, all
these exciting titles and nothing but noisey messes left strewn about
after the Holy Warriors leave for neater pastures to mess up real good.

Yep,

Yes, implementing Alan Blumlein's 'garter circuit' was fun and
refreshing. But, no pretty young women have attacked me in a rapturous
attempt to get themselves with child by the guy who actually
implemented a good idea ... or any other reason ... I will be 60 next
month. Just seeing them smile is a big enough thrill for this old
sickie

I liked Mae West's garter tricks better.....

I heard she had a thing for Alan, but thought he was a nerd....

This is already a greater list than some think. We actually share our
silly hostilities and then come back for more.

We are human, and hostile, and having fun insulting a few or all.

It just might not get any better than that

We shall be overcome, but, that doesn't mean I want any of you
opinionated cavemen to come over ... just type your best and we shall
see

Happy Ears!
Al

Hve a nice friday,

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

"tubegarden" wrote in message
ps.com...
Bret Ludwig wrote:

All the above people are either dead, or they can no longer do what
they did years ago. That work is irreplaceable. As with people who
preserve classic film and photographs, the conservation and best
possible playback of these recordings is our only link to who we were
and where we come from. If you choose to **** off, fine. Stay out of
the way of your betters, you freak.

What the hell is this all about?

And what is it's connection with audio tubes?