Posted to rec.audio.pro
doki_pen doki_pen is offline

Default Spectrum Analyzer

Do you guys know of any Spectrum Analyzer software for the PC that will
not only analyze whatever is being played through it at the moment, but
will also be able to record say a 5 second sample, and then let you
move to any point along that sample, and see what the analysis was at
that point?

Thanks!

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.pro
dave dave is offline

Hi Jon,

For what purpose ?

Transcribe! sort of does that....
It's intended to show what musical notes the section contains, not for
scientific analysis.

http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html

Also, you wouldn't find anything that works quite the way you described,
as a 'point' on the sample doesn't contain any frequency information.
You would need to select a small range to analyze, and the larger the
range, the better the resolution of the spectrum obtained.

Dave.

doki_pen wrote:
Do you guys know of any Spectrum Analyzer software for the PC that will
not only analyze whatever is being played through it at the moment, but
will also be able to record say a 5 second sample, and then let you
move to any point along that sample, and see what the analysis was at
that point?

Thanks!

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

Do you guys know of any Spectrum Analyzer software for the PC that
will
not only analyze whatever is being played through it at the moment, but

will also be able to record say a 5 second sample, and then let you
move to any point along that sample, and see what the analysis was at
that point?

If you have a DAW which can run Waves plugins, the PAZ Spectrum plug
will do what you want.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"doki_pen" wrote in message
ups.com...

Do you guys know of any Spectrum Analyzer software for the PC that will
not only analyze whatever is being played through it at the moment, but
will also be able to record say a 5 second sample, and then let you
move to any point along that sample, and see what the analysis was at
that point?

I've done that with both Spectra Lab and CoolEdit/Audition.
CoolEdit/Audition is cheaper and easier to use this way, but Spectra has the
more flexible analysis features.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
doki_pen doki_pen is offline

I can see Audition has a couple of different Spectral displays, but I
can't seem to find a Spectrum Analyzer.

Spectra Lab ALMOST does what I want it to, but it doesn't display the
wave as a wave form, it just shows you a slider that says time, but you
have no visual representation of where in the recording you are.

Am I missing something?

Jon

Arny Krueger wrote:
"doki_pen" wrote in message
ups.com...

Do you guys know of any Spectrum Analyzer software for the PC that will
not only analyze whatever is being played through it at the moment, but
will also be able to record say a 5 second sample, and then let you
move to any point along that sample, and see what the analysis was at
that point?

I've done that with both Spectra Lab and CoolEdit/Audition.
CoolEdit/Audition is cheaper and easier to use this way, but Spectra has the
more flexible analysis features.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Edi Zubovic Edi Zubovic is offline

On 16 Sep 2006 19:52:03 -0700, "doki_pen" wrote:

I can see Audition has a couple of different Spectral displays, but I
can't seem to find a Spectrum Analyzer.

Spectra Lab ALMOST does what I want it to, but it doesn't display the
wave as a wave form, it just shows you a slider that says time, but you
have no visual representation of where in the recording you are.

Am I missing something?

------------------8-------------------------
-- I think that I know what are you looking for. It probably is a
spectral display. It can be as a waterfall display (Spectralab has it)
or a frequency/time plot. Cool Edit/Audition has such an option.
Wavelab 6 should have it too. It's great for "spectral editing".

Algorithmix has a very useful tool, at a price though, which is called
"Renovator" and which will display all the piece you are currently
working on (not too long one though, since Revovator is a memory hog
written I thing in Visual Basic 2 or alike) -- and you can zoom in to
any isolated event to remove it by various interpolation procedures,
lowering gain etc. I think that Wavelab 6 has a derivative of
Renovator built-in but I don't know exactly.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"doki_pen" wrote in message
oups.com...

I can see Audition has a couple of different Spectral displays, but I
can't seem to find a Spectrum Analyzer.

The spectrum analyzer is a function of Edit View. See Analyze, Frequency
Analysis

To analyze a specific portion of a wave, click and drag to select it with
the cursor, hit Alt-Z or click the commands, and then press the scan button.

Spectra Lab ALMOST does what I want it to, but it doesn't display the
wave as a wave form, it just shows you a slider that says time, but you
have no visual representation of where in the recording you are.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you can enlarge the time and amplitude scales so that you can see
desired details.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Skler Skler is offline

"doki_pen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you guys know of any Spectrum Analyzer software for the PC that will
not only analyze whatever is being played through it at the moment, but
will also be able to record say a 5 second sample, and then let you
move to any point along that sample, and see what the analysis was at
that point?

Acoustic Tools will do that but the smallest time window you can select is
pretty BIG, so it will be integrated over that period of time, which may or
may not be desirable depending on the application. The other guys on here
might have a better one you could try.

Skler

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 1@2.3 is offline

Here is another type of
option:http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tid=GLSPPR3854

On 16 Sep 2006 00:17:13 -0700, "doki_pen" wrote:

Do you guys know of any Spectrum Analyzer software for the PC that will
not only analyze whatever is being played through it at the moment, but
will also be able to record say a 5 second sample, and then let you
move to any point along that sample, and see what the analysis was at
that point?

Thanks!

Jon

It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 07:33 AM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 09:45 AM
FA: AUDIOSOURCE RTA-ONE HANDHELD REAL TIME SPECTRUM ANALYZER MarkSG Pro Audio 0 July 22nd 05 06:18 PM
Head unit with spectrum analyzer exist? Tyrone Powertohn Car Audio 5 October 8th 04 02:03 AM
Realtime Audio Spectrum Analyzer...Any good? Dan Kuechle Tech 32 March 27th 04 06:41 PM