Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] carkenord@juno.com is offline

Default newbie fundamental speaker question

Hi folks......

I hope you can be patient with a newbie and answer a question or 2.

I have an Alpine CDE-7826P that I am going to install in my truck
camper. Markings on the radio chassis indicate it was made in
September of 1997. It has a decal that says "35 watts max per
channel".

I have experimented with this radio on the bench, with 1 speaker, so I
know that the radio itself is fully operational.

The wiring harness and schematic indicates that it is set up to be used
with 4 speakers.

Since stereo, hard rock, etc. is not my goal here, I want to keep it
simple and just use 1 speaker.

Sooooo.......what "nominal" ohmic value SINGLE speaker should I use?
By "nominal" I guess I mean the ohmic value stamped on the back of the
speaker.

Would I use 4 ohm speaker? 8 ohm? Or what?

What should be the minimum power rating of this speaker?

(This is a budget installation, BTW!)

Thank you so much....... Lee Carkenord

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:
[...]

Any normal 4-ohm speaker will do, just select one channel to connect it to, and
make sure the ends of the other wires are all well-insulated, so none of them
can touch metal in the dash.

I would suggest, though, if you intend to listen to music at all, you consider
at least two speakers for a stereo setup - unless you're listening to all old
old stuff that's recorded only in mono, it WILL sound more pleasant in stereo.
Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] carkenord@juno.com is offline

Any normal 4-ohm speaker will do, just select one channel to connect it to,

Thank you, Matt.

What kind of MINIMUM power rating should this 4 ohm speaker have?

Appreciate it...... Lee Carkenord

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

Could he hook up the hot lead from one channel and the black lead from
another to get a mono signal?
Or both hot leads to the + and both black leads to the minus?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Ericfg wrote:
Could he hook up the hot lead from one channel and the black lead from
another to get a mono signal?

Unless the deck supports bridging (I've only ever seen one that did), no.

Or both hot leads to the + and both black leads to the minus?

Not recommended.

If all he's listening to is the radio, it won't matter anyway - AM is mono (AM
stereo is rare), and FM can be switched to mono.