Posted to rec.audio.car
kms kms is offline

Default Premier DEH-P880PRS VS ????

Hi everyone,

I've been auditioning Head units, and so far it's either the DEH-P780MP
or DEH-P880PRS based on the 24 bit Burr-Brown DAC, their built in
cross-over and equalization (I've actually only been able to audition
the 880). I understand that the 780 does not have auto time alignment.
Also, I love the fact that they have front AUX inputs, and the ease of
MP3 folder navigation.

I have also auditioned a few Kenwoods, and a whole slew of Alpines. I
found SQ lacking on both, and really didn't like the GUI's of the Alpines.

I can't seem to find anything else out there (or at least in New
Hampshire/Vermont) that's hooked up to a sound board, but I'd love some
opinions on other options. Eclipse, Denon, MacIntosh, Nak, high-end
Sony (if this still exists), or whatever...

OK, The rest of the system that's going in:

If I go big:
ESX Quantum 120^2 going to Morel mid-bass
ESX Q60^4 to Morel tweets, and a/d/s/ rear 6.5's
ESX Q475^1 going to Sub - TBD, but I'd love to run an Adire Audio
Brahma 12...

OR

Keepin it simple:
a/d/s/ PH15 to front stage, and the ESX Q1202 going to a couple of 2
ohm 10's - rear stage run off HU... I just haven't quite decided yet.

Here's what I'm looking for:

MP3/WMA capability of course
Front AUX input, absolutely 1/4" headphone jack, but open to rear Aux
in's too
Good equalization - and sub control too
at least front and sub pre-outs
Well laid out faceplate
~$200-300 price range

I check my email more than the NG, so if you feel like it, CC me at
conversionfactor at hotmail dot com

Thanks,
Keith

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Jackson wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:43:55 -0400, kms wrote:

[...]

880 can be found unauthorized online for your price range if you
search around.I don't really understand why you would want take a step
backward with a lower model headunit. Sure 880 has no color screen but
tuneablility of the units crossover points, slopes, and eq bands out
shines the 780.

BTW where are you getting those Quantum series amps from? I was under
the impression that ESX amps are out of production?!

I'm lookin'!! I would rather have the 880 not only for the reasons you
mention above, but also for the asthetics... My question was more along
the line of what other companies are putting out HU's with comparable
features in the same price point. I've auditioned Alpine, Kenwood, JVC
and Sony and none of those seem to stand up. The problem is that's all
there is on the sound boards in my area.

Oh, those ESX... I got them from Kirk back in the day - when he first
got his hands on 'em. Even before the whole Ampman debacle. I used
them in a couple of installs in the beginning, but since then they've
spent way more time sitting in my attic than anything else. I just love
them for the SQL factor and flexibility.

Talk to you soon,
KeithS

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

The Premier 880PRS is a fantastic HU. It has just about all the features (a
list as long as your arm) you could possibly ask for, with a few exceptions
that kind of bug me. But overall it is an extremely elegant looking HU, has
fantastic SQ, and is wonderfully devoid of the current trend to kaleidoscope
displays. As to the exceptions I mentioned ... it does not have an
attenuation or a pause button, both of which I find useful in a HU. It does
have a pause feature but it is nested 3 deep in the menu so is not too
handy. But these ommissions pale in comparison to the overall quality
inherent in the unit. The 780 does not come close and IMO also looks tacky
in comparison. But that is just a personal preference. One thing about the
880 though that should be mentioned ... it does have a front AUX input but
it requires a 2.5mm mini jack. Ipods and such use 3.5mm. Strange, to say the
least. It's almost like they don't want you using it. But you can use a $10
adaptor which plugs into the IP bus and gives you a rear AUX input.

- RG

Pioneer "Premier" line jeffc Car Audio 4 November 17th 04 03:11 PM
FA: Rare! PREMIER AUDIO RACK R-CC Cable Channel Kit - 2 AUCTIONS! - Brand New NR! Item number: 4331013583 cabeau Marketplace 0 October 20th 04 07:42 AM
clarus 1200+2-12's pioneer premier dvc's = good combo? t_dog_lxi Car Audio 0 May 15th 04 10:38 PM
FA: TONEARM CABLE PREMIER SME DIN w/Gold RCA's No Reserve! Item number: 3091351343 cabeau Marketplace 0 April 12th 04 08:54 AM