Posted to rec.audio.car
thejackal51 thejackal51 is offline

Default Sony Mex-1GP

i got this stereo, you think it was a good buy?

http://www.buyersedge.com/Product/pr...916&pageView=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I think that's TOO COOL. I have not yet seen this unit and I think the idea
of incorporating a flash drive into the face-plate is brilliant.

One gigabyte is certainly a lot of storage (more than a CD-R full of MP3's).
10-20 gigs, of course, would have been better. Many people are looking for
head-units with built in HD's so they can store their ENTIRE music
collection on their HU (head unit).

If this idea catches on (incorporating a flash drive in the faceplate), I
expect we will see larger and larger storage capability (flash drive cards
get larger and cheaper every day it seems, now they have 4 gig SD cards, I
can't get over how they can squeeze so much memory in such a tiny space!!!).

So I fear the only drawback of such a HU is that by next year, for the same
price, Sony will have a similar unit with 3-4 gig (or more!) capability
(this is what happens when you are an "early adopter").

But having said all this, it is still a truly COOL idea and I expect you
will be very happy with the Mex 1GP.

MOSFET

"thejackal51" wrote in message
oups.com...
i got this stereo, you think it was a good buy?

http://www.buyersedge.com/Product/pr...916&pageView=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

That IS cool. Much slicker than having a USB or CF/SD slot, although not as
flexible (you could carry a good-sized library on multiple flash cards or thumb
drives).

One idea might be if they COMBINED an HDD-based HU with a flash-memory FP, and
the system could then copy the files off the FP onto the internal HDD. A
flip-down faceplate with a full-depth card slot behind it would be cool too (so
the slots are hidden normally, and the card not sticking out when in use).
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

.. A
flip-down faceplate with a full-depth card slot behind it would be cool

too (so
the slots are hidden normally, and the card not sticking out when in use).

I agree Matt. That, to me, is the IDEAL route (a HU that accepts flash
memory cards). Why we don't see more HU's with this feature is a TOTAL
mystery.

But, again, I wonder if there is pressure from Apple, perhaps, to NOT
incorporate these things and in return, Apple will make it's iPod's
compatible with certain manufacturer's HU's (so the iPod controls can be
activated from the HU). Or, I wonder, if there is pressure from the
recording industry on HU manufacturers (I can certainly imagine a day when
tiny cards, like the SD, will replace discs). I know, this all seems rather
"conspiracy theory"-ish, but it's such an INCREDIBLY logical feature I just
CAN'T HELP but wonder if there's something "going on".

As I said in the previous post, the trouble with the Sony Mex-1GP is that
next year they will probably be selling the Mex-3GP for the same price (and
the year after that, the Mex-5GP). With an SD card slot, however, your HU
is "future proof".

It's OBVIOUSLY the future of HU's, yet NONE OF THE BIG MANUFACTURERS ARE
EMBRACING IT!!! What the heck is going on?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

BTW, what I said also goes for why we haven't seen more HU's with built in
HD's which, again, seems like a PERFECT and logical feature for a car's head
unit.

I just can't help thinking dark forces (Apple) are involved. I mean, SO
MANY people buy and use their iPods for their cars (many people ONLY use it
in their cars). Beyond that, Apple (AND other manufacturers) make a bundle
on iPod integration products for the car. Built in HD's and large capacity
(5+ gigs) flash memory ports would render the iPod (and iPod integration
accessories) obsolete (at least in the car), and that would not make Apple
very happy.

It kind of reminds me of when pocket calculators were new (yes, I'm old
enough to remember that). At first they were rather large, and pretty
expensive. But in an INCREDIBLY short amount of time, calculators became
amazingly ubiquitous. They would give them away at bank openings. Things,
all of a sudden, had built in calculators whether it was useful or not.
They got really, really cheap and really, really small. We even had
calculators on our wrist watches, and they were DIRT CHEAP.

My point is I wonder if Apple is trying to hold on to a technological point
in time, like when the calculator was brand new.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Cool indeed, and a 24bit DAC to boot?

I saw this (Insignia NS-C5111) at Best Buy

Text link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1141762608953

USB port AND SD card slot... Another cool idea. Too bad the SQ was sh*t.

Are there any feelings on the Sony's GUI (graphical user interface)?
Is is convienent, and easy to use?

Very interesting developments.

KeithS

thejackal51 wrote:

i got this stereo, you think it was a good buy?

http://www.buyersedge.com/Product/pr...916&pageView=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

There's probably something to that. On the other hand, I've been hitting
the Brick and Mortars auditioning HU's for a few weeks now, and I'm
amazed that it's all come down to Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood (along
with JVC and other assorted crap at the big stores). I asked about
Eclipse in the highest end shop I visited, and the sales guy / installer
said "Huh? never heard of it." Sad...

I can say this, head unit tech has EXPLODED in the last few years. Way
back in 2002, MP3 capability was just gaining wide exposure. Now it's
just a matter of how that content is delivered. The power of apple
aside, it's us, the consumers who will dictate the direction of those
formats. Remember Mini Disks? the wave of the future, until consumers
poo-hoo'd them...

Really, I think that Apple is already ten steps ahead of in-car tech -
and probably not all that concerned with it. iPod owners will own iPods
anyway. It's just a good product. It's more likely the Hu producers
who are jockeying to get in on the iPod direct interface game - at the
expense of other technologies. Notice the differences between the iPod
interfaces of Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood and the like. They all have bugs,
and their own particular pros and cons... Once the big boys get those
systems ironed out (access time, track searching, GUI's, etc.), it'll be
industry standard (like CD changer controls of the '90s), and they'll
move on to the aforementioned technologies.

I'm not saying there's not a conspiracy, it's just probably not the one
you think it is...

KeithS

MOSFET wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

It's more likely the Hu producers
who are jockeying to get in on the iPod direct interface game - at the
expense of other technologies.

I think you are probably right. I mean, built in HD's and flash memory card
ports just seem like a PERFECT FIT for HU's. Why aren't we seeing more of
this?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Limited R&D budgets in the face of declining consumer confidence..... at
least that's my short answer.

KeithS

MOSFET wrote:
It's more likely the Hu producers

who are jockeying to get in on the iPod direct interface game - at the
expense of other technologies.

I think you are probably right. I mean, built in HD's and flash memory card
ports just seem like a PERFECT FIT for HU's. Why aren't we seeing more of
this?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Troy T. Troy T. is offline

The built in HD HU is an AMAZING idea.it would eliminate the need for
cds or ipods which would hurt those industies but yet it would make the
consumer happy.I personly would need more the 1 or 2 GB. I have alot of
music. Another thing that they could do is since more and more HU have
dvd capability they could make it so you can store movies on it as well
and just either have it come with as built in screen or have a plug for
a screen.
I have seen a couplev HU's floating around with alittle space to save
music on them but i listened to them and the SQ was crap.

Another good way to do it is instead of a flash drive in they could put
an input for an external HD. their prices are comming down as well and
you can get massive amounts of storage with them. There are so many
different thing that HU companies can do to improve their products.

also, has you heard any reasons why Alpine took their bass engine pro
out and just put the normal one in. It seems kinda retarded to down
grade their HU's as technology improves.

TroyT.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

also, has you heard any reasons why Alpine took their bass engine pro
out and just put the normal one in. It seems kinda retarded to down
grade their HU's as technology improves.

I have NO DOUBT it was because consumer feedback told Alpine that Bass
Engine Pro was too complicated to use for the average consumer. And in all
fairness, there is some truth to this. I mean, there are people who want
the best (so they go out and buy the 9855), but they then just want to stick
a CD in and enjoy the music. What many people DON'T want to do is wade
through a cumbersome owner's manual, which was TRULY necessary to do just to
operate about anything on a BassEngine Pro equipped deck. I mean, there's
NO BASS AND TREBLE CONTROLS FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! That HAD to have irritated a
lot of people (actually, it led me to buy a dash mounted EQ because I LOVE
to fiddle from song to song).

But I LOVE Bass Engine Pro (I have the 9853). I think Alpine made a HUGE
mistake doing away with it completely. They could have included it on ONE
OR TWO of their higher-end decks. But nooooooooo. They've "dumbed down"
the ENTIRE product line.

Mainly, I love the time alignment feature. The crossover I could do without
as all my amps have built in X-overs anyway. But, and I've said this
before, if Alpine DOES NOT bring back time-alignment, my next HU WILL NOT be
an Alpine (even though my last three HU's have all been Alpine). It is a
feature I just can't live without.

Alpine, if you are listening, you made a HUGE mistake, IMHO.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Troy,

I asked an Alpine rep about this when I first saw the new head units at
an Auto show and his response was "I don't know."

I was looking for a new head to replace my Sony and I had to have Bass
Engine Pro... so I popped for last year's Alpine 9853 rather than one
of the newer ones.

On Nick's Apple conspiracy theory... I don't think it's that simple. I
think it's more about the costs involved in putting the hard drives
into the head units and the failure rate of said units. Figure on an
added $50 for a decently sized drive and flash interface, add the
required mark-ups and you end up with a $450 head unit. There's a
relatively limited market (you and me excepted) for a head unit that
costs more than about $200 these days... and the manufacturers will
have to deal with warranty claims on the hard drives that fail.

In addition, there's not much space in a standard DIN chassis for a
hard drive, so they will have to go with a 1.8" drive (used in the
iPod) which is even *more* unreliable than a standard laptop drive.

All in all, I think it's probably best to let Apple (et al) build the
external units and the head unit manufacturers to build a way to pipe
the audio in.

smiles,
Jamie