Posted to rec.audio.car
Charles Summers Charles Summers is offline

Default USB Systems...

Hmm.... these look interesting, but I can't find anything positive or
negative here about them. I'd LOVE to just pop in a flash drive instead of
burning CD's.

What's your take on these?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Charles Summers wrote:
Hmm.... these look interesting, but I can't find anything positive or
negative here about them. I'd LOVE to just pop in a flash drive instead of
burning CD's.

What's your take on these?

Not having used one, I'll speak more generally: I think it's a great idea, and
there should be no quality issues related to the media. You MAY see
sound-quality problems related to the compression format used (MP3, etc.) but
those are the same whether using MP3s on CD, or on a portable player (iPod,
etc.) and not a failing of using flash-memory.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Hmm.... these look interesting, but I can't find anything positive or
negative here about them. I'd LOVE to just pop in a flash drive instead of
burning CD's.

What's your take on these?

Well, wait a second. Matt is talking about flash drives, but your SUBJECT
line reads USB systems, which are different things, right? I have seen HU's
with flash-drive ports (like for SD cards), but a USB port is something
entirely different, right?

I'm not entirely clear what you would use a USB port on a HU for (for
transfering songs from what to what, an internal HD in a HU?). I know
Alpine has USB capability now. Is this so the MP3 data (from an iPod fopr
instance) can be sent to the HU for MP3 decoding? Is there a benefit to
this? I'm honestly not clear on this. Just curious.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Charles Summers Charles Summers is offline

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...

Well, wait a second. Matt is talking about flash drives, but your SUBJECT
line reads USB systems, which are different things, right? I have seen
HU's
with flash-drive ports (like for SD cards), but a USB port is something
entirely different, right?

I'm not entirely clear what you would use a USB port on a HU for (for
transfering songs from what to what, an internal HD in a HU?). I know
Alpine has USB capability now. Is this so the MP3 data (from an iPod fopr
instance) can be sent to the HU for MP3 decoding? Is there a benefit to
this? I'm honestly not clear on this. Just curious.

MOSFET

Here's some examples:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SG6EfF8...00&I=257KDG820
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SG6EfF8...300&I=113MP532

Apparently, you can transfer your songs to a flash drive, insert it into the
USB port and use it as you would on your computer to play mp3's or WMA's.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
Hmm.... these look interesting, but I can't find anything positive or
negative here about them. I'd LOVE to just pop in a flash drive instead of
burning CD's.

What's your take on these?

Well, wait a second. Matt is talking about flash drives, but your SUBJECT
line reads USB systems, which are different things, right? I have seen HU's
with flash-drive ports (like for SD cards), but a USB port is something
entirely different, right?

Different connection, but you're still talking flash memory inside.

I'm not entirely clear what you would use a USB port on a HU for (for
transfering songs from what to what, an internal HD in a HU?). I know
Alpine has USB capability now. Is this so the MP3 data (from an iPod fopr
instance) can be sent to the HU for MP3 decoding? Is there a benefit to
this? I'm honestly not clear on this. Just curious.

The decks I've seen with a USB port are designed to play songs from a "thumb
drive/jump drive/etc." device. Others have SD or CF slots to play off standard
memory cards. Either way, you're just using flash memory as a storage medium,
instead of a CD.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

The decks I've seen with a USB port are designed to play songs from a
"thumb
drive/jump drive/etc." device. Others have SD or CF slots to play off

standard
memory cards. Either way, you're just using flash memory as a storage

medium,
instead of a CD.

YES! Those jump drives. I know what you mean. Thanks Matt.

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
The decks I've seen with a USB port are designed to play songs from a

"thumb

drive/jump drive/etc." device. Others have SD or CF slots to play off

standard

memory cards. Either way, you're just using flash memory as a storage

medium,

instead of a CD.

YES! Those jump drives. I know what you mean. Thanks Matt.

I thought you were blocking me?
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I thought you were blocking me?

Nope, changed my mind.

See ya,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Charles Summers Charles Summers is offline

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
. ..
Hmm.... these look interesting, but I can't find anything positive or
negative here about them. I'd LOVE to just pop in a flash drive instead of
burning CD's.

What's your take on these?

FWIW: I bought the JVC.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SG6EfF8...00&I=257KDG820