Posted to rec.audio.pro
tiglath

Default Smaller Mixer Question

I want to connect a metronome to a mono mixer track and hear the
metronome on the headphones but not the main mix.

Is there a way to accomplish that using one of the smaller mixers that
do not have solo buttons?

On my desk I only have next to my computer for one of the smaller
mixers with USB but none of the ones I've seen have solo buttons.

Many thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
tiglath

Richard Crowley wrote:
"tiglath" wrote ...
I want to connect a metronome to a mono mixer track and hear the
metronome on the headphones but not the main mix.

Is there a way to accomplish that using one of the smaller mixers that
do not have solo buttons?

On my desk I only have next to my computer for one of the smaller
mixers with USB but none of the ones I've seen have solo buttons.

You could use one of the "sub-mix" busses assuming your
(unidentified) mixer has one?

Thank you for your reply.

I know the Behinger UB1202FX can't do it because the FX control is post
fader.

I see the Alesis Multimix 8USB has two AUX controls on pre-fader which
might be a way to do it. I am not sure. By turning off the channel
output to the main bus, hopefully the pre-fader AUX goes to the
headphones/ctrl-room.

The Peavey PV8 has a MON Send control that is pre-fader. This must go
to headphones.

I am not quite sure but it looks possible...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

tiglath wrote:

I want to connect a metronome to a mono mixer track and hear the
metronome on the headphones but not the main mix.

I know the Behinger UB1202FX can't do it because the FX control is post
fader.

I see the Alesis Multimix 8USB has two AUX controls on pre-fader which
might be a way to do it. I am not sure. By turning off the channel
output to the main bus, hopefully the pre-fader AUX goes to the
headphones/ctrl-room.

I think you'd have to use an auxiliary send and an outboard headphone
amplifier for this. Just about all small mixers only send the main
outputs to the built-in headphone jack. While this seems like a simple
request, it's just not implemented on bottom-feeder mixers. You can
spend more money on a mixer with more flexible routing or you can spend
more money on a headphone amp that you can feed from the aux send.

If you have an old home stereor receiver, you can use that as a
headphone amp. Pick one up at a yard sale or thrift store for $10 if
you don't want to spend $100 or more for a real studio product.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
tiglath

Mike Rivers wrote:
tiglath wrote:

[...]

I think I found a "bottom-feeder mixer" that will do that. The Yamaha
MW10 lets you group channels to monitor apart from the main. I
think...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMW10