p.o.l.

Default European friend sends aiff file that won't open

I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able to
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

Kurt Albershardt

p.o.l. wrote:
I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able to
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

This set of symptoms can be produced by a mis-labeled file type.
Perhaps a compressed format that QuickTime plays which has been named
with a .aiff extension for Windows? You can produce the same result by
renaming an MP3 file to .wav and then opening it with Windows Media
Player (where it will play) and again with something like Foobar2000
(which will barf on it.)

Chevdo

In article , nope says...

I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

change filename to .raw then open in soundforge. You might need to then trim a
bit of noise which is the header before saving as .wav

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able to
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

vas

p.o.l. wrote:
I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able to
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

probably an mp4 aac (also known as m4a) file; google "mp4 to wav" or
"m4a to wav"

Raw PCM data (such as that found in properly labeled .wav, .aif and
..sd2 files) is _roughly_ 11MB/minute in stereo @ 44.1KHz/16bit;
otherwise you can calculate your own: word length (in bits) * sample
rate (in Hz) * running time (in seconds) * no. of channels (2 for
stereo) = approx. file size in bits (divide over 8 to get bytes). Ask
your friend what the file properties are supposed to be, then apply the
math. If the actual file size is not really close to that, your friend
messed up somewhere in the exporting/conversion process.

--vas

p.o.l.

"Chevdo" wrote in message

change filename to .raw then open in soundforge. You might need to then
trim a
bit of noise which is the header before saving as .wav

Thanks, but that didn't work.

p.o.l.

"vas" wrote in message
oups.com...

p.o.l. wrote:
[...]

Can't find a free mp4 to wav program. And I still don't understand why I
can't open an aiff file that should be supported in sound forge and plays
fine in itunes.

Arny Krueger

"p.o.l." nope wrote in message

Can't find a free mp4 to wav program.

ITunes.

And I still don't
understand why I can't open an aiff file that should be
supported in sound forge and plays fine in itunes.

This just means that iTunse and SF have a different list of
file formats that they support.

If it plays in iTunes why can't you just export it from
iTunes?

p.o.l.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"p.o.l." nope wrote in message

Can't find a free mp4 to wav program.

ITunes.

And I still don't
understand why I can't open an aiff file that should be
supported in sound forge and plays fine in itunes.

This just means that iTunse and SF have a different list of file formats
that they support.

If it plays in iTunes why can't you just export it from iTunes?

I have itunes, but they want $30 for the "pro" version to allow you to save
to other formats.

Scott Dorsey

In article , p.o.l. nope wrote:
I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able to
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

Dump the headers. I bet they aren't 16-bit PCM, but the headers will
tell you.
Arny Krueger

"p.o.l." nope wrote in message

Can't find a free mp4 to wav program.

ITunes.

And I still don't
understand why I can't open an aiff file that should be
supported in sound forge and plays fine in itunes.

This just means that iTunse and SF have a different list
of file formats that they support.

If it plays in iTunes why can't you just export it from
iTunes?

I have itunes, but they want $30 for the "pro" version to
allow you to save to other formats.

Hmm, this must be a change. The last version I tried saved
other formats for free.

vas

Ok, just this once.

http://www.xilisoft.com/downloads/x-audio-converter.exe

converts 5 files before it requires registration. Make sure you get
the settings right so you don't waste your free conversions.

The reason SF or Nuendo won't open the "aif" file is because it's not
really an .aif file in the traditional sense (containing PCM data) but
a file containing 'mp4 aac' data, a LOSSY codec. I don't know why
consumer software makers decided to do this and confuse people even
more, but I guess there was someone somewhere in the chain of command
that though it was a good idea to start encapsulating things other than
PCM in files commonly associated with PCM data. Your friend must have
exported through quicktime or iTunes and didn't check the settings. If
you're doing _mastering_, of all things, you should be contacting your
friend and getting the uncompressed files, not worrying about
converting the ones you have, unless you just want to check the music
out. Your transfer times are likely to be roughly 5 times longer, if
the files are, in fact, AAC.

Good luck.

--vas

p.o.l.

"vas" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I see what you are saying. Thanks for the explanation. I tried one free
trial conversion program already and the resulting wav files behaved just
like the aiff files. I'll try your link when I get home.

p.o.l.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article , p.o.l. nope wrote:
I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The
files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able to
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

Dump the headers. I bet they aren't 16-bit PCM, but the headers will
tell you.

How do I dump the headers? Would I have to look at the aiff as code to do
that?

Ty Ford

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:19:02 -0500, p.o.l. wrote
(in article ):

I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able to
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

Are they of a higher sample or bit rate than Soundforge or Windows can
handle?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Scott Dorsey

In article , p.o.l. nope wrote:
I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The
files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able to
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

Dump the headers. I bet they aren't 16-bit PCM, but the headers will
tell you.

How do I dump the headers? Would I have to look at the aiff as code to do
that?

There is probably a tool that will do it for you automatically, but
you can do it by hand. Anything that will give you a numeric dump of
the file (on unix boxes we have od, and this will work on an OSX Mac now
also) will do the job.

Everything you ever wanted to know about what you see inside the file is
in http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/aboutiff.htm and it may seem a little
complex at first, but dump a file you know is good and try to figure out
the header data.

p.o.l.

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:19:02 -0500, p.o.l. wrote
(in article ):

I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The
files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered
free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

Are they of a higher sample or bit rate than Soundforge or Windows can
handle?

Ty Ford

This ran across my mind as well, but no... itunes says they are 44.1/16-bit.

p.o.l.

In article , p.o.l. nope wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice Scott. I'll have a look.

Ben Bradley

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:10:01 GMT, "p.o.l." wrote:

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:19:02 -0500, p.o.l. wrote
(in article ):

I have never encountered this problem, maybe one of you have.

My Swedish friend uploads 3 aiff files that he wants me to master. The
files
won't open in sound forge or windows media player, and opens but does not
play properly in nuendo. Playing the files with itunes works wonderfully.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs on the net that offered
free
trials with no success. The wav files they produced were still not able
be opened in sound forge or nuendo.

any ideas?

Are they of a higher sample or bit rate than Soundforge or Windows can
handle?

Ty Ford

This ran across my mind as well, but no... itunes says they are 44.1/16-bit.

What are the file sizes, and what are their playing times under
itunes? If one is, say, 30 megs and about 3 minutes, then it's pretty
clearly 44.1/16 bit. (If it's only 3 megs, then it's obviously a
compressed format) I presume the other programs' "read raw" format
lets you specify high byte or low byte first (as well as stereo/mono,
etc., as does Cool Edit/Audition)? Try it both ways.

vas

One last bit - if it doesn't work with the .aif extension, try changing
your source files' extensions to .m4a.

--vas

p.o.l.

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
[...]

There are 3 aiff files and they are all 30-40MB with times in the 3 minute
range. So they are definitely 44.1/16-bit.
I'll try the "read raw"... I'm not sure if Sound Forge 6.0 has this feature.

Kurt Albershardt

http://foobar2000.org/ will do that and more.

I still don't understand why I can't open an aiff file that should be
supported in sound forge and plays fine in itunes.

Most likely because (despite its filename extension) it's not really an
AIFF file.

Kurt Albershardt

p.o.l. wrote:
"Ben Bradley" wrote in message

This ran across my mind as well, but no... itunes says they are
44.1/16-bit.

What are the file sizes, and what are their playing times under
itunes? If one is, say, 30 megs and about 3 minutes, then it's pretty
clearly 44.1/16 bit. (If it's only 3 megs, then it's obviously a
compressed format) I presume the other programs' "read raw" format
lets you specify high byte or low byte first (as well as stereo/mono,
etc., as does Cool Edit/Audition)? Try it both ways.

There are 3 aiff files and they are all 30-40MB with times in the 3 minute
range. So they are definitely 44.1/16-bit.
I'll try the "read raw"... I'm not sure if Sound Forge 6.0 has this feature.

If that doesn't work, you can play them in iTunes and route them through
something like TotalRecorder, which will snag the WAV stream en route to
your soundcard.

p.o.l.

Well, I finally found a solution. Audacity
(http://www.download.com/Audacity/300...ml?tag=lst-3-2)
ended up being able to convert the aiff files into wav, something sound
forge couldn't handle apparently. I have to say I am amazed SF couldn't do
what this free download accomplished.

I tried a few aiff to wav conversion programs

Not needed. I'd just play the file in iTunes or whatever and capture the
bitstream when it's sent to the soundcard dac. There's your wav file.

Use Total Recorder or one of it's knockoffs.
david correia

"p.o.l." nope wrote in message

Can't find a free mp4 to wav program.

ITunes.

And I still don't
understand why I can't open an aiff file that should be
supported in sound forge and plays fine in itunes.

This just means that iTunse and SF have a different list of file formats
that they support.

If it plays in iTunes why can't you just export it from iTunes?

I have itunes, but they want $30 for the "pro" version to allow you to save
to other formats.

You mean Quicktime Pro. (There's no pro version of iTunes.)

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

p.o.l.

You mean Quicktime Pro. (There's no pro version of iTunes.)

Ah, yes. I see that you are correct. I must have received QuickTime bundled
with my itunes download. Itunes doesn't export at all, and now QuickTime
only does it with the "pro" version.

John Adair

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:51:19 +0000, p.o.l. wrote
(in article ):

Itunes doesn't export at all

Yes it does. Or at least, the Mac version does.

In Preferences Advanced Importing set "Import Using" to WAV. (IIRC, you
were trying to convert an AIFF to a WAV, right?) Then go back to the Library,
select the file you want to convert and select Convert Selection to WAV from
the Advanced menu.

John

--

yorkio65 at yahoo dot co dot uk