Iain M Churches

"Andy Evans" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Mr. Rio, I think it's about time my boy Philip had a real job.
He's been
running a muck since he moved to Sydney..........

That's the funniest thing I've read on this newsgroup since 1837.

Even the young Queen Victoria was amused.
Iain

Sander deWaal

"Iain M Churches" said:

Do you think that Andre Jute's adversary Oinkie would ever help
any of us out like that? Not on your sweet life!!

Well, Stewart helped out both me and another RAT poster with some
money changing matters, free of charge and in a very pleasant way.

Some years ago, Andre shipped me a box full of CDs for my wife.
In a very pleasant way, and free of charge.

I'm probably the only RAT with positive experiences with both Andre
and Stewart ;-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:56:12 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .

BTW, no one uses tubes *seriously* for audio.

That's a pretty malevolent post on a tube audio
group:-(((

Malevolent? You have a weird notion of morality.......

I am just making up a customs carnet for a
concert recording project.

The equipment list includes:
16 pcs Studer D19 mic pre-amps (valve)
8 pcs Neumann type 49 microphones (valve)
4 pcs Neumann type 50 microphone (valve)
6 Altec compressors (valve)
1 Studer J37 1" analogue recorder (valve)
Radford STA100 monitor amp (valve)

I would say that was *serious* use of tubes for
audio.

You just don't get it, do you? This is all part of the *performance*,
obtaining the best possible sound *on the master tape*. Once you have
obtained that sound, you then want it to be *reproduced* in an
absolutely neutral manner up to the loudspeaker terminals. For that,
SS is more reliable.

Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:02:57 +0200, Sander deWaal
wrote:

I'm probably the only RAT with positive experiences with both Andre
and Stewart ;-)

Well, not the *only* one. The world is unknowably big; many
contradictory opinions can be simultaneously true; religious
absolutes just aren't appropriate here.

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42 April 29
Ruud Broens

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:56:12 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
: wrote:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
:
: BTW, no one uses tubes *seriously* for audio.
: I would say that was *serious* use of tubes for
: audio.
:
: You just don't get it, do you? This is all part of the *performance*,
: obtaining the best possible sound *on the master tape*. Once you have
: obtained that sound, you then want it to be *reproduced* in an
: absolutely neutral manner up to ~~ the loudspeaker terminals. For that,
: SS is more reliable.
: --
:
~~ only up to the loudspeaker terminals ? Why would you want that, Stewart ??
Are you serious ???;-)
Rudy

: Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

Iain M Churches

: wrote:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
:
: BTW, no one uses tubes *seriously* for audio.
: I would say that was *serious* use of tubes for
: audio.
:
: You just don't get it, do you? This is all part of the *performance*,
: obtaining the best possible sound *on the master tape*. Once you have
: obtained that sound, you then want it to be *reproduced* in an
: absolutely neutral manner up to ~~ the loudspeaker terminals. For that,
: SS is more reliable.
: --
:
~~ only up to the loudspeaker terminals ? Why would you want that,
Stewart ??
Are you serious ???;-)
Rudy

I think the point is, Rudy, that some people do not have a high level of
aural
perception, so they use measured performance instead of what their ears and
their
heart tell them is good. Music is also about emotion.

This is something we have to accept. Such people are entitled to their
preferences.
I have been listening to a Carver Professional SS amp on and off for about a
month.
It has an even more impressive spec than the Krell, but it does not produce
music
well.

My cellist friend compares his SS amp to his McIntosh valve amp as
"the difference between looking at a sharp focus black and white photograph
and an oil on canvas painting of the same subject"

Cordially,

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

: wrote:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
:
: BTW, no one uses tubes *seriously* for audio.
: I would say that was *serious* use of tubes for
: audio.
:
: You just don't get it, do you? This is all part of the *performance*,
: obtaining the best possible sound *on the master tape*. Once you have
: obtained that sound, you then want it to be *reproduced* in an
: absolutely neutral manner up to ~~ the loudspeaker terminals. For that,
: SS is more reliable.
: --
:
~~ only up to the loudspeaker terminals ? Why would you want that, Stewart ??

Because the one part of the system which is *guaranteed* to be
non-neutral is the speaker system. There is no way to give generalised
opinions on loudspeakers, since you don't know what kind of room
they're going into, nor do you know the particular preferences of the
listener. Since no loudspeaker is truly neutral, personal preference
matters here.

Are you serious ???;-)

Always.

Patrick Turner

: wrote:
:
[...]

The opinion of a cellist could be entirely arty-farty,
and so let's just hope his/her ability is of a
listenable standard.

What sort of painting?
Modern, impressionist, religious renaissance,
romantic, exactly what?

Photographs are terrible liars; you look at the photo
of some dude and you think he's such a nice guy.
But then you find out he done 20 years for murdering
a school bus full of children.......

Last night I attended a concert at an art gallery at the
ANU school of art. David Perera, cellist, performed and conducted a local string

ensemble of about 12 young souls, and with a visiting pianist of excellent
talent.
Its been a long time since I heard real music played and heard just as
the palace and court of nobles would have heard it on their sunday afternoons
in 1792.
Works by List and Haydn and a few others were played, quite a variety.....

I was reminded what SS amp systems are not able to
reproduce all that well compared to the best tube amps.

If one never goes to live concerts without PA reinforcements,
and only listens through a silicon lens, then indeed
one's view becomes jaded.

Tomorrow I have another concert for an hour with an
ensemble of harpists, which will teach me not to sin,
lest I be kept out of heaven, where they play a lot of harp music.

Patrick Turner.

Cordially,

Iain

Iain M Churches

: wrote:
:
[...]

I think you would approve of this one, Patrick. he is a Russian
ex pat, and the man who introduced me to SET not too long ago.
He plays the Shostokovich 'cello concerto as only a fellow countryman
can.

ensemble of about 12 young souls, and with a visiting pianist of

excellent
talent.
Its been a long time since I heard real music played and heard just as
the palace and court of nobles would have heard it on their sunday
afternoons
in 1792.
Works by List and Haydn and a few others were played, quite a variety.....

I too am pleased to see the talent of young players. On a recent trip to
Prague, I noticed that every second young person was carrying a violin
case. Surely they did not all containThompson sub machine guns?

I also have quite a lot to do with youth orchestras, and college
jazz ensembles. The standard of playing, and the enthusiasm
of the players is quite remarkable.

Tomorrow I have another concert for an hour with an
ensemble of harpists, which will teach me not to sin,
lest I be kept out of heaven, where they play a lot of harp music.

Enjoy. It may be the closest to the celestial kingdom that you
(or any of us) will get:-)

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:58:33 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Last night I attended a concert at an art gallery at the
ANU school of art. David Perera, cellist, performed and conducted a local string
ensemble of about 12 young souls, and with a visiting pianist of excellent talent.
Its been a long time since I heard real music played and heard just as
the palace and court of nobles would have heard it on their sunday afternoons
in 1792.
Works by List and Haydn and a few others were played, quite a variety.....

Nice, isn't it? We regularly attend musical 'soirees' at a large
country house a couple of miles from our place, as the owner sponsors
musicians from the local University. The chamber music they produce is
often of excellent quality, and the experience reminds one how rare it
is to hear anything approaching 'the original sound' at home.

One does of course require a CD front end and silicon amplification to
have any real hope................... :-)

I was reminded what SS amp systems are not able to
reproduce all that well compared to the best tube amps.

Which is what, exactly?

If one never goes to live concerts without PA reinforcements,
and only listens through a silicon lens, then indeed
one's view becomes jaded.

Interesting point. Of course, since I *do* regularly attend
unamplified concerts (and very few amplified ones), and since my view
is directly opposed to yours, I guess we'll just have to agree to
differ.

Patrick Turner

: wrote:
:
[...]

The concert turned out to be well worth attending.

About 2/3 was devoted to a female soloist who played a variety of works by CP
Bach,
and several modern composers.
She than moved on to use an electro accoustic harp hooked up to a
digital tape loop and effects box operated by foot switches, a couple of
Bose PA speakers with those funny ports on them.
The EA harp seemed to have what seemed to be a lot of pedals.
No tubes to be seen anywhere, but the sound of the acoustic
response from the harp through the pick up from each string wasn't harsh.
Then she pedalled and plucked he way through 20 minutes of the most
unique type of music I have ever heard, at one point adjusting her "set"
and placing a bow through the harp to play a very LF "tune" with
utter control and dexterity.
She made most other pop musicans seem like complete morons,
which they are, and will remain, until they gain their credentials and my
respect
only after several years at music school.

The last segment of the concert was devoted to works by 5 female harpists
playing 6 normal concert harps together.

It could be said that a man can do a lot.

But a woman can do a heck of a lot more....

The lady friend with whom I went to friday's concert
never showed up for this one when she said she'd definately be there.
Probably something forthright about art and where imagination comes from
I said scared her off, or ****ed her off.
Women can do so much, but don't ever think
you can ever possibly understand them. They don't even let us know when we have
upset them. Time I gave up on this uncomunicative woman.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:16:52 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Women can do so much, but don't ever think
you can ever possibly understand them. They don't even let us know when we have
upset them. Time I gave up on this uncomunicative woman.

Ouch. Sorry, guy. Cold world sometimes.

All the best,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42 April 29
Don

Women can do so much, but don't ever think
you can ever possibly understand them. They don't even let us know when we

have
upset them. Time I gave up on this uncomunicative woman.

Patrick Turner.

A man finds a genie and the genie says "I can only give you one wish for now."
So the man thinks a little bit, and says "Well I've always wanted to go to
Hawaii but I'm afraid of flying and I get sea sick. So I'd like to have a
bridge put in between Hawaii and California. The genie thinks about it for an
hour and says "It would take a lot of work even for a genie to put in a bridge
that will work. I'll think about it some more, but do you have any other
idea's?" So the man says "I've always wanted to understand women, how they
think, what they want, what makes them tick." The genie thinks about this for
a few minutes and says "Do you want two or four lanes on that bridge?"

Patrick Turner

wrote:

Women can do so much, but don't ever think
you can ever possibly understand them. They don't even let us know when we have
upset them. Time I gave up on this uncomunicative woman.

Ouch. Sorry, guy. Cold world sometimes.

All the best,

There are plenty of women around, and currently single,
all winging they have such sorry lives for want of one good man.
There are about 300 women over 48 yr old listed at a dating agency, RSVP.com,
and all are local ladies in my small regional city of 300,000 souls..
I contacted 80 but drew a blank, and none under 65 have emailed me.
When a decent guy does turn up they turn their noses up, he's not good enough.
Or damn it, he wants sex, or he's not rich enough.
Its been like this as long as i can remember, and as one ages
one finds women get worse and worse, and only 1 in 10 is fully
emotionally functional with men.
So unlike when one is 25, when finding a good lady is still a chore,
success at finding a wife, partner and friend is much more possible if one applies
oneself.
But at 57, the possiblities have dwindled to almost zero and one finds
that almost none of them have any real desires, just the embers of
old desires still glowing, but no fresh pile of firewood.
Their brains go quite muddled because they think like they did at 25,
ie, dream about wedding bells and being looked after by a fella,
but they have never matured the menu of what they will offer.
They don't go out and are frightened too easily.
At 50, many are still quite attractive looking, but usually very stung
by life and its dissapointments, and downright angst, not to mention
the roll off in functionality after a menopause, and all the petty
corruption of morals and thoughts replaces the natural vibrancy and idealism
and addaptability of youth that they would do better to remember and practice.
I see through all their BS and if they won't **** I leave 'em alone.
I do give them a chance though, and I plan to keep doing that until
I cannot.
They somehow figure we will spend time and money on them and do all these
maintenance favours
on their houses that they can't do without providing any sex, food, or
communication.

I could write an excellent book titled

'Fifty reasons why I never got laid last night'

But I am too busy.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42 April 29

Chris Hornbeck

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:47:38 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

I do give them a chance though, and I plan to keep doing that until
I cannot.

Damnstraight.

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42 April 29

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

[...]

Bluddy hell, that miserable whinge explains a lot about you. Ever
considered what those 80 women are likely to write about a
mean-minded, dried up old grouch like you?

Personally, I think women are great - everyone should own two or three
of 'em..........

Chris Hornbeck

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 05:46:29 +0000 (UTC), Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

Personally, I think women are great - everyone should own two or three
of 'em..........

Arf. My personal curse is to not be terribly interested in
women who could be owned. Reminds me of a Groucho Marx line
.... but it's too late. Nite all,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42 April 29
RdM

Patrick Turner investigates:

: It could be said that a man can do a lot.
:
: But a woman can do a heck of a lot more....

http://kahl.net/kcclick/graphics/Man-and-Woman.jpg
Patrick Turner

wrote:

[...]

A prick like yourself who pours **** all day on tubes has no idea does he.

Its the women who have dried up, not I, and I carefully give this message.
Its a fact of life that the shielas run out of sexual steam before men.
Once they've had their kids, had their menopause, got fed up with their husbands and
had a divorce, they have changed from the cheery gals of 25 we knew once,
and become dried up old hags, desperate to prove they are still women,
but its all terribly hard....
But if you urge them on and ask " how about it dear?"
they react all queer, but at 25 they whisk you into bed and
can't get enough pokin and pokin.

300 local women advertising on the net for a guy represent a small %
of all women, and statistics show maybe 1/2 of women are still married at 50
and able to make it work.

A complete ****wit like you has no idea of socialogical facts and figures.

Maybe you have been reading too many women's magazines,
where the issues are quite distorted.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

Personally, I think women are great - everyone should own two or three
of 'em..........

Arf. My personal curse is to not be terribly interested in
women who could be owned. Reminds me of a Groucho Marx line
... but it's too late. Nite all,

Oinkerton would have trouble with one let alone 2 or 3.

I also maintain that the ladies were put here on the planet
to make us happy and survive better, and we were put here to enable the
same thing
for them.

But then everyone starts selling themselves, vice takes a victory over
virtue,
people start demanding the impossible from each other
and the divorce rate is 60% in the uk, and so who is happy?

But whatever the world offers me I cannot change, so I
can only draw what water is in her well, and if that is a trifle muddy
I must wait for it to clear, or be sooner less thirsty by drinking the
unclean.
I prefer to wait.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42 April 29

Patrick Turner

RdM wrote:

Patrick Turner investigates:

: It could be said that a man can do a lot.
:
: But a woman can do a heck of a lot more....

http://kahl.net/kcclick/graphics/Man-and-Woman.jpg

Yeah, that about sums it up, but if you take off the back cover there
are all thse trimpots on the woman circuit as well.
Only fixed resistors in the man circuit.

And yet women think men have reactive impudence characteristics.....

Patrick Turner.

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

Personally, I think women are great - everyone should own two or three
of 'em..........

Arf. My personal curse is to not be terribly interested in
women who could be owned. Reminds me of a Groucho Marx line
... but it's too late. Nite all,

Oinkerton would have trouble with one let alone 2 or 3.

Very true, the one I have is more than enough trouble. Never could
understand bigamists, they must be nuts!

But whatever the world offers me I cannot change,

Oh, bugger! Say it isn't so!.............. :-)

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:31:36 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

RdM wrote:

Patrick Turner investigates:

: It could be said that a man can do a lot.
:
: But a woman can do a heck of a lot more....

http://kahl.net/kcclick/graphics/Man-and-Woman.jpg

Yeah, that about sums it up, but if you take off the back cover there
are all thse trimpots on the woman circuit as well.
Only fixed resistors in the man circuit.

Actually, there's a good chance that if you open the back covers,
there'll be nothing attached to all those external controls, it'll
just be a hollow shell.......................

The man of course keeps his complexity on the inside! :-)

And yet women think men have reactive impudence characteristics.....

Yup, my first schoolteacher was certainly of that opinion. Or wasn't
that quite what you meant to say?..... :-)

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:33:59 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:47:38 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

snip reams of whinging ozzy self-pity

I could write an excellent book titled

'Fifty reasons why I never got laid last night'

But I am too busy.

Bluddy hell, that miserable whinge explains a lot about you. Ever
considered what those 80 women are likely to write about a
mean-minded, dried up old grouch like you?

Personally, I think women are great - everyone should own two or three
of 'em..........

A prick like yourself who pours **** all day on tubes has no idea does he.

Y'see, it's all this repressed anger that's screwing you up. As well
as having no idea how to make a decent amp...............

Its the women who have dried up, not I, and I carefully give this message.

Yeah, riiiight.................

Its a fact of life that the shielas run out of sexual steam before men.

Yeah, riiiight.................

Not in our village, chummy. You have to beat them off with a stick at
party time! :-)

Once they've had their kids, had their menopause, got fed up with their husbands and
had a divorce, they have changed from the cheery gals of 25 we knew once,
and become dried up old hags, desperate to prove they are still women,
but its all terribly hard....

Only if they have to talk to miserable old pricks like you. No wonder
your woman dumped you.

But if you urge them on and ask " how about it dear?"
they react all queer, but at 25 they whisk you into bed and
can't get enough pokin and pokin.

Same at 55, if you do it right...............

300 local women advertising on the net for a guy represent a small %
of all women, and statistics show maybe 1/2 of women are still married at 50
and able to make it work.

Which leaves the other half. And you *still* can't get laid in sunny
barbieland? That doesn't tell me anything about the women in your part
of the world (Newcastle?), but it tells me lots about you.

A complete ****wit like you has no idea of socialogical facts and figures.

I can at least *spell* sociological. Also, I'm happily married and
have a great social life, unlike certain miserable dried-up Aussies I
could mention.

Maybe you have been reading too many women's magazines,
where the issues are quite distorted.

And how exactly do *you* know this? Sheesh, whatta maroon!

Patrick Turner

You continue to have zero to offer this group.

Patrick Turner.

Sander deWaal

Patrick Turner said:

You continue to have zero to offer this group.

Well, maybe we can ask Stewart to design a tube (valve) amp which he
thinks is adequate for the job?

How about it Stewart?
What properties do you think a good tube (valve) amplifier should
have?
And do you think you could design an amp according to those lines?
Finally, are you willing to take up on this challenge?

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Iain M Churches

wrote:

Personally, I think women are great - everyone should own two or three
of 'em..........

Arf. My personal curse is to not be terribly interested in
women who could be owned. Reminds me of a Groucho Marx line
... but it's too late. Nite all,

Oinkerton would have trouble with one let alone 2 or 3.

Why would he want 2 or 3? It's quality not quantity that is the deciding
factor he-) And besides, would he like to have a woman who had two
or three other men. Yuck!! Probably not!!

One woman is enough. But it just has to be the right one. The chances
of finding her are pretty slim, particularly as people mature and change
as they grow older. So couples grow apart.

I found a Scandinavian au-pair, ten years younger than myself: statuesque,
with long blonde hair down to her waist. I left the UK in a big hurry:-)
We are still together and very happily married.

Iain

Iain M Churches

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
Patrick Turner said:

You continue to have zero to offer this group.

Well, maybe we can ask Stewart to design a tube (valve) amp which he
thinks is adequate for the job?

How about it Stewart?
What properties do you think a good tube (valve) amplifier should
have?
And do you think you could design an amp according to those lines?
Finally, are you willing to take up on this challenge?

He may not have time.
By this time next week he might be Pope Angus the First.

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:46:38 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

I found a Scandinavian au-pair, ten years younger than myself: statuesque,
with long blonde hair down to her waist. I left the UK in a big hurry:-)

Why am I not surprised by such shallowness?

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:27:37 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

You continue to have zero to offer this group.

Untrue. You OTOH have nothing to offer life.............

Stewart Pinkerton

Patrick Turner said:

You continue to have zero to offer this group.

Well, maybe we can ask Stewart to design a tube (valve) amp which he
thinks is adequate for the job?

How about it Stewart?
What properties do you think a good tube (valve) amplifier should
have?

At least 100 watts output, with 20-20kHz THD and HF IMD of less than
0.1% at 80% of full output, and a *power* bandwidth of 15Hz to 50kHz.

And do you think you could design an amp according to those lines?

Anyone can. The trick is finding a really good output tranny. The
basics of paralleled KT66s in an ultra-linear configuration remain at
the heart of all truly top-class valved amps. This basic design has
been around for at least fifty years.

Finally, are you willing to take up on this challenge?

It's not much of a 'challenge', the design work was all done many
decades ago. Besides, why would anyone go to such trouble and expense
to make something which can only ever be a pale imitation of a decent
SS amp costing a quarter as much?

He may not have time.
By this time next week he might be Pope Angus the First.

You aren't confusing me with Angus Pope, by any chance? :-)

While that particular Italian Job has many perks, there are a couple
of drawbacks for a hedonist such as myself.....

Besides, I understand that a belief in God is a prerequisite for that
particular post - despite appearances.

Finally, and most critically, I usually wear black, so being condemned
to life in a white frock just wouldn't do at all, oh dear me no!

Iain M Churches

wrote:

I found a Scandinavian au-pair, ten years younger than myself: statuesque,
with long blonde hair down to her waist. I left the UK in a big hurry:-)

Why am I not surprised by such shallowness?

I can see nothing shallow in having an interesting career in classical
recording, a happy marriage, and a beautiful wife with a degree.

It beats being a postal operative in rainy Leicester any day:-))))

Cordially,

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

I found a Scandinavian au-pair, ten years younger than myself: statuesque,
with long blonde hair down to her waist. I left the UK in a big hurry:-)

Why am I not surprised by such shallowness?

I can see nothing shallow in having an interesting career in classical
recording, a happy marriage, and a beautiful wife with a degree.

It beats being a postal operative in rainy Leicester any day:-))))

Never annoy a disgruntled postal worker! :-)

Patrick Turner

wrote:

I found a Scandinavian au-pair, ten years younger than myself: statuesque,
with long blonde hair down to her waist. I left the UK in a big hurry:-)

Why am I not surprised by such shallowness?

I can see nothing shallow in having an interesting career in classical
recording, a happy marriage, and a beautiful wife with a degree.

It beats being a postal operative in rainy Leicester any day:-))))

Ah, but he lusts to become the first Poop Oinkerton I,
and in Rome they dunno how to prepare for the smell.

Patrick Turner.

Cordially,

Iain

Sander deWaal

Stewart Pinkerton said:

How about it Stewart?
What properties do you think a good tube (valve) amplifier should
have?

At least 100 watts output, with 20-20kHz THD and HF IMD of less than
0.1% at 80% of full output, and a *power* bandwidth of 15Hz to 50kHz.

OK, I think that could be done.

And do you think you could design an amp according to those lines?

Anyone can. The trick is finding a really good output tranny. The
basics of paralleled KT66s in an ultra-linear configuration remain at
the heart of all truly top-class valved amps. This basic design has
been around for at least fifty years.

Ah, but there's more than just the power stage to worry about.
How about the choice of a phasesplitter, input circuit, choice of NFB
path, choice of components, the power supply..........

I think there's a lot more to be said about a tube amp than just "6
paralleled KT66s in push-pull" ;-)

Finally, are you willing to take up on this challenge?

It's not much of a 'challenge', the design work was all done many
decades ago. Besides, why would anyone go to such trouble and expense
to make something which can only ever be a pale imitation of a decent
SS amp costing a quarter as much?

I'm trying to get you to think about designing a tube amp.
It's a start if you just described what circuitry you would use.

After all, dissing tube amps should be based on actual knowledge of
the subject, shouldn't it? ;-)

He may not have time.
By this time next week he might be Pope Angus the First.

You aren't confusing me with Angus Pope, by any chance? :-)

Just heard they have chosen Ratzinger.
Another dark middle ages ahead.................

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Jon Yaeger

Just heard they have chosen Ratzinger.
Another dark middle ages ahead.................

Ratzinger has been an insider for a long time.

The cardinals have clearly spoken for a return to orthodoxy. IMHO,
Ratzinger is just an interim Pope, but a very strong "company man" indeed.
He paves the way for the next Roman Pontiff.

Patrick Turner

Sander deWaal wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton said:

[...]

I don't give a rat's arse what the Catholic Church does with itself.

It sure **WILL** be a dark age for r.a.t if we insist
that its silliest, rudest and most disrespectful contributor, who hates
vacuum tubes
be compelled to design a tube amp.

I see so purpose in enchoraging a fool.
Stewpid Oinkerton is better left well alone imho.

Patrick Turner.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:40:09 -0400, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

Just heard they have chosen Ratzinger.
Another dark middle ages ahead.................

Ratzinger has been an insider for a long time.

The cardinals have clearly spoken for a return to orthodoxy. IMHO,
Ratzinger is just an interim Pope, but a very strong "company man" indeed.
He paves the way for the next Roman Pontiff.

Those of us living in America, the Land of the Free and the
Home of the Brave, have already had our Taste of Orthodoxy. A little
goes a long way. And then some.

Things are tough in the modern world; fight it; fight it; fight it.
It's your grandchildren's world. Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight. Till
we're dead. Fight.

Chris Hornbeck
"Hum is more than just not knowing the words." -ha
Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:48:19 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

More bitter whining from one of life's losers.............

Ah, but he lusts to become the first Poop Oinkerton I,
and in Rome they dunno how to prepare for the smell.

It seems that they do, having elected Roland Ratsinger, the Enforcer,
the 'Pope's Rottweiler', to the position. OTOH, what wonderful news
for Protestant evangelists the world over - the converts will be
rolling in now!

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:58:04 +0200, Sander deWaal
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton said:

How about it Stewart?
What properties do you think a good tube (valve) amplifier should
have?

At least 100 watts output, with 20-20kHz THD and HF IMD of less than
0.1% at 80% of full output, and a *power* bandwidth of 15Hz to 50kHz.

OK, I think that could be done.

Yup, there are several on the market.

And do you think you could design an amp according to those lines?

Anyone can. The trick is finding a really good output tranny. The
basics of paralleled KT66s in an ultra-linear configuration remain at
the heart of all truly top-class valved amps. This basic design has
been around for at least fifty years.

Ah, but there's more than just the power stage to worry about.
How about the choice of a phasesplitter, input circuit, choice of NFB
path, choice of components, the power supply..........

Sure, and the best methods are all well established, and have been for
many decades. It is indeed not rocket science!

I think there's a lot more to be said about a tube amp than just "6
paralleled KT66s in push-pull" ;-)

However, it's all *been* said over the past sixty years........

There really is no excuse for not producing an optimised design in the
21st century - even if you do insist on using 19-th century
technology..............

Finally, are you willing to take up on this challenge?

It's not much of a 'challenge', the design work was all done many
decades ago. Besides, why would anyone go to such trouble and expense
to make something which can only ever be a pale imitation of a decent
SS amp costing a quarter as much?

I'm trying to get you to think about designing a tube amp.
It's a start if you just described what circuitry you would use.

I wouldn't *use* tubes if I was designing a *good* amplifier, don't
you get that yet? KISASS was simply an amusing diversion to prove a
point. As with KISS and any other basically single-ended design, it
will never be a *good* amplifier.

After all, dissing tube amps should be based on actual knowledge of
the subject, shouldn't it? ;-)

Actually no, it should be based on experience of what the end products
*sound* like. As I have already noted, I have nothing (except the
unnecessary expense) against tubes per se, and there are several
excellent tube amps on the market. My 'dissing' is primarily directed
at the lunatic fringe SET gang.

He may not have time.
By this time next week he might be Pope Angus the First.

You aren't confusing me with Angus Pope, by any chance? :-)

Just heard they have chosen Ratzinger.
Another dark middle ages ahead.................

Indeed, but great news for Protestant evangelists, as the converts
should start rolling in! :-)

OTOH, I could think of a few excellent candidates for the gentle
inquiries of the Inquisition, when Roland Rat brings them back. Oh,
you weren't expecting that? Remember, *no one* expects the Spanish
Inquisition! :-)