Barry Mann

Default MP3 ripper program comparisons

I've been mostly ignoring MP3, but now I must build an MP3 library. The
library will be stored on a home music server.

Is there much of a sonic difference between programs?

I'd also like to be able to edit the metadata, but not necessarily
using the main ripper program.

Looking back, do you regret having normalized your files (or not)?

Please, no MP3 flames.

Thanks

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Dan

On 3/25/2005 9:14 AM, Barry Mann wrote:
I've been mostly ignoring MP3, but now I must build an MP3 library. The
library will be stored on a home music server.

Is there much of a sonic difference between programs?

I'd also like to be able to edit the metadata, but not necessarily
using the main ripper program.

Looking back, do you regret having normalized your files (or not)?

Please, no MP3 flames.

Thanks

After doing some research I decided to use Cdex. It has worked
flawlessly for me. But I decided to use OGG instead of MP3 after
comparing the sound quality on my stereo.
Barry Mann

In , on 03/25/05
at 09:38 AM, Dan said:

After doing some research I decided to use Cdex. It has worked
flawlessly for me. But I decided to use OGG instead of MP3 after
comparing the sound quality on my stereo.

Thanks. A the moment OGG is not an option fo me.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Mark D. Zacharias

Have you tried FLAC lossless encoding? There are updates for Winamp and Cool
Edit to use it, and FLAC can function as an external encoder for
Audiograbber, querying Freedb and generating playlists automatically. FLAC
files are around 40-50% the size of WAV's.

Mark Z.

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
om...
In , on 03/25/05
at 09:38 AM, Dan said:

After doing some research I decided to use Cdex. It has worked
flawlessly for me. But I decided to use OGG instead of MP3 after
comparing the sound quality on my stereo.

Thanks. A the moment OGG is not an option fo me.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

On 3/26/2005 12:50 AM, Barry Mann wrote:
In , on 03/25/05
at 09:38 AM, Dan said:

After doing some research I decided to use Cdex. It has worked
flawlessly for me. But I decided to use OGG instead of MP3 after
comparing the sound quality on my stereo.

Thanks. A the moment OGG is not an option fo me.

CDex will rip MP3! It uses the LAME encoder.
Barry Mann

In , on 03/26/05
at 04:40 AM, "Mark D. Zacharias" said:

Have you tried FLAC lossless encoding? There are updates for Winamp
and Cool Edit to use it, and FLAC can function as an external encoder
for Audiograbber, querying Freedb and generating playlists
automatically. FLAC files are around 40-50% the size of WAV's.

No, but the player I'm supporting will not deal with FLAC.