notreal

Default Door lock actuator ... how do they work?

Thinking of using a universal door lock actuator on my 03 cavalier
when i install a sequrity system.

I havent a clue of how these things work. Anyone care to explain? are
they easy to install? Easy to make them work with a sequrity system
door lock/unlock feature?

Is it a simple ...12 V dc signal to lock wire locks the door, and 12
Vdc signal to unlock wire unlocks the door?

And can you please reccomand a GOOD priced, GOOD qualitity universal
one that will work well with an 03 cavalier.

thanks alot
Scott Gardner

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:39:13 GMT, notreal wrote:

Thinking of using a universal door lock actuator on my 03 cavalier
when i install a sequrity system.

I havent a clue of how these things work. Anyone care to explain? are
they easy to install? Easy to make them work with a sequrity system
door lock/unlock feature?

Is it a simple ...12 V dc signal to lock wire locks the door, and 12
Vdc signal to unlock wire unlocks the door?

And can you please reccomand a GOOD priced, GOOD qualitity universal
one that will work well with an 03 cavalier.

thanks alot

You've basically described it correctly. To a typical universal door
actuator, there are two wires, usually blue and green. When the blue
wire gets +12V and the green wire is grounded, the plunger moves one
way. Reverse the voltages, and the plunger moves the other way. The
plunger actuates the locking rod inside your door via a metal rod that
connects both to the plunger and to your lock rod.

Most alarms don't have the relays built-in to handle door lock
actuators, so you may need an external "door lock module" to go
between the alarm brain and the actuators. It's just a couple of
relays to handle the higher current requirements of the actuators.

The only tricks to installing actuators a

Make sure you pick a location inside the door where the actuator won't
interfere with any motors, your door panels, etcetera.

Position the actuator so that the motion of the plunger is parallel to
the lock rod. It can be off a few degrees, but the plunger can only
apply its greatest force when it's moving parallel to the lock rod.

Make sure the actuator is mounted firmly so it doesn't work itself
loose. The plunger has a good deal of force behind it, so the screws
holding the actuator to the metal door skin need to be secure.

--
Scott Gardner

"Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet air intakes."

Jason McCabe

Funny you should ask -- last night I just finished installing a door lock
kit along with my alarm. I bought this kit along with a Crime Guard 745i3
from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tego ry=94833

That alarm has integrated lock relays so you don't need to buy anything
else.

It was pretty easy to figure out, between the instructions for the alarm and
for the kit. This is a 5-wire door lock system (some others are 3-way).
Basically you just mount the small control module under your dash, give it
power and ground, and run each set of 5 wires to each actuator. My alarm
had six wires for door locks, and for this particular setup I just had to
give two of them +12V, two of them ground, and then connect the lock and
unlock wires to the corresponding wires on the lock module.

The hardest part for me was figuring out where to mount the actuators so
that they wouldn't interfere with anything. The vehicle was a Jeep
Wrangler, which has pretty thin doors, but I found a way to do it.
Everything seems to work great so far.

"notreal" wrote in message

Thinking of using a universal door lock actuator on my 03 cavalier
when i install a sequrity system.

I havent a clue of how these things work. Anyone care to explain? are
they easy to install? Easy to make them work with a sequrity system
door lock/unlock feature?

Is it a simple ...12 V dc signal to lock wire locks the door, and 12
Vdc signal to unlock wire unlocks the door?

And can you please reccomand a GOOD priced, GOOD qualitity universal
one that will work well with an 03 cavalier.

thanks alot

notreal

Wanna be a pal and take some pics of your work???

that would be GREAT!

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:11:40 -0700, "Jason McCabe"
wrote:

[...]

"notreal" wrote in message
.. .

Thinking of using a universal door lock actuator on my 03 cavalier
when i install a sequrity system.

I havent a clue of how these things work. Anyone care to explain? are
they easy to install? Easy to make them work with a sequrity system
door lock/unlock feature?

Is it a simple ...12 V dc signal to lock wire locks the door, and 12
Vdc signal to unlock wire unlocks the door?

And can you please reccomand a GOOD priced, GOOD qualitity universal
one that will work well with an 03 cavalier.

thanks alot

Jason McCabe

Already did. Here ya go:

http://jason.mccabe.home.comcast.net/doorlocks1.jpg

[...]