Lazarus

why not buy 2 md recorders and use one for a stereo ambient and one for a
stereo deskfeed and mix them

or take it further by routing your FOH mix to a submix and take a hifi amp
and eq the submix for hifi sound then add your 2 stereo tracks together
using pc software!

I`m no expert but i do video work and without my own soundman this is the
"basic" approach I take and often its very succesful

DAT recorders are going really cheap on e bay these days i bought a full
size sony with 20 bit SBM for £100 recently.....use this for desk sound and
md for your ambient recording and mix those!!!

"Stu P" wrote in message
I want to get a simple stereo recorder (perhaps a minidisc) to get a basic
recording of the live shows I mix. I was thinking of getting a minidisc

and
running my PZM in on one side and running a mono split of the FOH mix in

the
other and balance them later at home. I figured MD would be a good start
and was wondering if there are features I should look for/avoid like the
plague. Are there alternatives to MD which are as good/better without
spending thousands of dollars? The recordings aren't for commercial
purposes, more for building a catalogue.

Cheers,

Stu.

Arny Krueger

"Stu P" wrote in message

I want to get a simple stereo recorder (perhaps a minidisc) to get a
basic recording of the live shows I mix.

I was thinking of getting a
minidisc and running my PZM in on one side and running a mono split
of the FOH mix in the other and balance them later at home. I
figured MD would be a good start and was wondering if there are
features I should look for/avoid like the plague. Are there
alternatives to MD which are as good/better without spending
thousands of dollars? The recordings aren't for commercial purposes,
more for building a catalogue.

If you've got line level signals to work with, you'll get a far higher
quality recording for a very low cost out of something like a Creative Labs
Nomad Jukebox 3.

Here's a factory refurb - pretty much a known quantity, and with a factory
warranty:

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I want to get a simple stereo recorder (perhaps a minidisc) to get a basic
recording of the live shows I mix. I was thinking of getting a minidisc and
running my PZM in on one side and running a mono split of the FOH mix in the
other and balance them later at home.

There are a couple of problems with that. First, there will be a time
difference between the pickup from the mic back at the console (about
0.9 msec for every foot of distance) and the PA mix where the mics are
just inches away from the sources. Presumably you'll be mixing the two
channels to mono, and you can get them lined up with a DAW, though it
might be kind of tedious.

The other possible problem is in finding a recorder that will allow you
to use one channel of the mic input and the other channel of the line
input. You may not be able to do that. If you have an outboard mic
preamp with line level output, you could use that to bring the mic up
to line level to match the console output, or you could attenuate the
output of the console to get it down to mic level.

You might have better luck if you set up an ambient mic near the front
of the stage to pick up what isn't going through the PA system,
connect this to the console (assuming you have a spare channel) and
add it to your recording mix without sending it to the PA system. You
could use an auxilary send bus for recording, and with some headphones
(and some experience after getting it wrong a few times) get a
workable balance between the PA mix and the live mic.

By the way, I'm a Nomad Jukebox 3 fan, too, as long as you don't try
to use what it jokingly (with a firmware upgrade) calls the mic input.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
anybody-but-bush

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
: "Stu P" wrote in message
:
: If you've got line level signals to work with, you'll get a far higher
: quality recording for a very low cost out of something like a Creative Labs
: Nomad Jukebox 3.
:
: Here's a factory refurb - pretty much a known quantity, and with a factory
: warranty:
:
: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7480 380&rd=1
:
Hey Arny:

I am looking for one of those type recorders but with built in mic. I go to a lot of live
stuff in bars and such where I jam with the band and I would just like to sit the thing on a
table or similar in front of the stage and hear how well I played. Hi-Fi or stereo is not the
goal, just hearing the instrument and vocal parts, counting the bars and song length,
listening to the words etc. The recording will be used for self criticism and sometimes I
record a band live I want to record in the studio. When I have the rough track from a show I
can set up the project in DAW ahead of time, build a drum synth click track etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Phil Abbate
:

Stu P

"Stu P" wrote in message

[...]

&rd=1

They don't ship to Australia :-(. Thanks for the idea though, will look
into it.

Stu.

Stu P

"Lazarus" wrote in message
why not buy 2 md recorders and use one for a stereo ambient and one for a
stereo deskfeed and mix them

In smaller venues the stereo mixfeed is essentially vox + kick (and not a
lot else). I'm guessing its function will be to add clarity to the vocal
come mixdown time. I've only got the one PZM at the moment, and I want to
see what the potential quality of these recordings will be before I start
splashing out with more mics & recorders.

or take it further by routing your FOH mix to a submix and take a hifi amp
and eq the submix for hifi sound then add your 2 stereo tracks together
using pc software!

I`m no expert but i do video work and without my own soundman this is the
"basic" approach I take and often its very succesful

DAT recorders are going really cheap on e bay these days i bought a full
size sony with 20 bit SBM for £100 recently.....use this for desk sound

and
md for your ambient recording and mix those!!!

Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping someone would have a recommendation on
specific models. I've read that there are variations in the sound quality
due to the different codecs the use. The alt.audio.minidisc group mentioned
the Sharp DR480 as being better than the Sonys, but I thought I'd check with
the pros here as that group tend to have more of a hobbyist approach.

Thanks again,

Stu.