Computer Prog

Default Number of drivers, power, and db output

Lets say we have a subwoofer driven off a 500W amp and it can output
120db at a specific distance.

Lets now assume that we have the same sub driven off a 250W amp and it
now produces 117db at the same distance. (120db – 3db for half the
power).

Finally lets add another identical sub driven off another identical
250W amp and it also produces 117db.

What will produce more output, the single 120db sub driven off the
500W amp or the two 117db subs driven off the two 250W amps?
Dan Mills

Computer Prog wrote:

Lets say we have a subwoofer driven off a 500W amp and it can output
120db at a specific distance.

Lets now assume that we have the same sub driven off a 250W amp and it
now produces 117db at the same distance. (120db – 3db for half the
power).

Finally lets add another identical sub driven off another identical
250W amp and it also produces 117db.

What will produce more output, the single 120db sub driven off the
500W amp or the two 117db subs driven off the two 250W amps?

In theory the output will be the same, in practice you may be able to get
better loading with the pair, in particular if you are using horn loaded
boxes then the increase in effective mouth area can be a big win.

Also voice coil heating may be less of an issue with the pair of 250W units.

I would be careful of comb filtering issues if I was using a pair of subs
which were less then 10 feet apart but were too far apart to couple.

Regards, Dan.
Arny Krueger

"Computer Prog" wrote in message
om
Lets say we have a subwoofer driven off a 500W amp and it can output
120db at a specific distance.

Lets now assume that we have the same sub driven off a 250W amp and it
now produces 117db at the same distance. (120db - 3db for half the
power).

Finally lets add another identical sub driven off another identical
250W amp and it also produces 117db.

What will produce more output, the single 120db sub driven off the
500W amp or the two 117db subs driven off the two 250W amps?

Presuming that the subs are linear, the amount of energy transferred into
the environment is the same due to conservation of energy.

However, two identical subs will not have the same radiation pattern as
either sub. Two subs radiate their energy over a slightly smaller region,
because the larger effective diaphragm will be more directional. If the
measurement position is some distance from the subs, the SPL at the
measurement mic will be higher for the two identical subs, presuming
conventional side-by-side mounting and otherwise normal use.

dangling entity

Yes, I was thinking somewhere along the line, doubling up on woofers
actually gives you +6 dB, instead of +3 dB. I haven't used it in a
while, so I'm pretty rusty.

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

"dangling entity" wrote in message
om...
Yes, I was thinking somewhere along the line, doubling up on woofers
actually gives you +6 dB, instead of +3 dB. I haven't used it in a
while, so I'm pretty rusty.

It's true that two woofers at 50% drive power produce more output than one
at 100% drive; this is because of 'mutual coupling'. For this to work, the
drivers must be in a cabinet configuration that benefits from mutual
coupling.
I can attest from personal speaker building experience that it gives more
bang for the buck to have two drivers instead of one, AND you improve
reliability by lightening the burden on either driver.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

Detector195

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" wrote in message link.net...

It's true that two woofers at 50% drive power produce more output than one
at 100% drive; this is because of 'mutual coupling'. For this to work, the
drivers must be in a cabinet configuration that benefits from mutual
coupling.

There is no magic involved. Any competent dual-driver design minimizes
the coupling between the drivers. For instance, this is achieved
simply by putting two identical drivers in a single box and feeding
them with equal amplitude and phase.
Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:30:17 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Computer Prog" wrote in message
. com
Lets say we have a subwoofer driven off a 500W amp and it can output
120db at a specific distance.

Lets now assume that we have the same sub driven off a 250W amp and it
now produces 117db at the same distance. (120db - 3db for half the
power).

Finally lets add another identical sub driven off another identical
250W amp and it also produces 117db.

What will produce more output, the single 120db sub driven off the
500W amp or the two 117db subs driven off the two 250W amps?

I think we have been here before. . .

Presuming that the subs are linear, the amount of energy transferred into
the environment is the same due to conservation of energy.

Well yes, 500 watts of power in, 500 watts of heat out. The room
warms up just the same.

Number of drivers vs DB computer Tech 4 March 27th 04 07:25 AM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 4/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 06:54 AM
simple Power Supply design help needed Dave Platt Tech 16 February 7th 04 07:23 PM
AC Power Conditioner (Cont.) Martin Glasband High End Audio 0 December 24th 03 08:11 PM
FS: 3000 watt amp $179!! 900 watt woofers $36!! new- free shipping Nexxon General 1 October 14th 03 02:06 PM