Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Peter Peter is offline

Default Stabilant 22A vs. DeoxIT Gold?

I wonder if anyone might have had an opportunity to evaluate the usage of
Stabilant 22A vs. DeoxIT Gold for maintaining good contact in connections?

Both manufacturers claim that their product is ideal for this purpose, but
the DeoxIT Gold is supplied in a much more user-friendly package, i.e. in a
bottle, premixed with a brush in the cap.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

These are two different products. ProGold is sold as a cleaner, whereas
Stabilant is sold as a quantum-mechanical "enhancer".

Both are overpriced. I have both, but use ProGold. If the connection is
separated after a time, and rubbed with a clean cloth, there is usually some
transfer of "schmutz" suggesting (but not proving) that ProGold lifts
contaminants.

When applied to exposed gold-plated contacts, ProGold does seem to clean them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Peter reply to newsgroup only wrote:
I wonder if anyone might have had an opportunity to evaluate the usage of
Stabilant 22A vs. DeoxIT Gold for maintaining good contact in connections?

They are totally different products for different things.

DeOxit Gold is a thing for cleaning schmutz off of gold connectors. The
regular DeOxit is a thing for cleaning schmutz off all kinds of connectors.

Stabilant 22A is a thing that is conductive over a very short path but
rapidly drops in conductivity with distance. It's a conductive polymer
with some wierd properties. It is a good thing for connectors that are
becoming intermittent due to vibration, because it forms a conductive
film over the gaps. If contacts are dirty, stabilant-22 will make them
worse. You have to start with clean connections.

Stabilant-22 is sort of okay for dealing with worn-out connectors where
the plating has rubbed through and the base metal is making contact. It
is a good temporary fix when you cannot replace the connectors.

Both manufacturers claim that their product is ideal for this purpose, but
the DeoxIT Gold is supplied in a much more user-friendly package, i.e. in a
bottle, premixed with a brush in the cap.

They are totally unrelated products for totally different purposes, but
they are both very good products for their intended use.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
gregz gregz is offline

"Peter" reply to newsgroup only wrote:
I wonder if anyone might have had an opportunity to evaluate the usage of
Stabilant 22A vs. DeoxIT Gold for maintaining good contact in connections?

Both manufacturers claim that their product is ideal for this purpose, but
the DeoxIT Gold is supplied in a much more user-friendly package, i.e. in a
bottle, premixed with a brush in the cap.

I don't have long term results. Since stabilant is mostly alcohol, it
cleans pretty well.

I don't think there is any rule saying you can't use both.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
polymod polymod is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Peter reply to newsgroup only wrote:
I wonder if anyone might have had an opportunity to evaluate the usage of
Stabilant 22A vs. DeoxIT Gold for maintaining good contact in connections?

They are totally different products for different things.

DeOxit Gold is a thing for cleaning schmutz off of gold connectors. The
regular DeOxit is a thing for cleaning schmutz off all kinds of
connectors.

Sorry to off topic, but it's ironic that I recently took this picture.

http://www.sonicmusic.net/Schmutz.jpg

carry on....

Poly