Brendt Montgomery

Default Custom A/V with Laptop

I read that you got a cheap stup from your laptop. I'm thinking of buying a
DVD player/LCD screen form my car because my deck just blew. Should I just buy
a laptop instead? I already have a good amp (xtant 603x) powering two sets of
components and two JLw3 subs. What would you suggest I do?

Thanks,
Brendt
Mark Zarella

Now you've captured my interest. How do you propose to do this?

(also, there are winamp plugins that allow you to interface buttons to

one
or both serial ports if you're up for the soldering)

Well in theory I just need an extra long cable on the
headphone/microphone which will be connected to the laptop of course.
I simply have to train it to my voice and I tell it to "go to program
name." I'll have to relearn the commands. I have an old version of
ViaVoice that should work just fine.

I'm more interested in knowing about the software itself. Does it work
well? And how would you integrate it to your mp3, etc?

My laptop doesn't have any serial ports only USB.

Thereare usb remotes as well, and usb-serial converters.

Mark Zarella

I read that you got a cheap stup from your laptop. I'm thinking of buying
DVD player/LCD screen form my car because my deck just blew. Should I

just buy
a laptop instead? I already have a good amp (xtant 603x) powering two

sets of
components and two JLw3 subs. What would you suggest I do?

A laptop or an itx pc with a 12v supply. I think the itx is the better
option.

lightiv

I'm way ahead of myself at the moment and I have to head back to work the
next 3 days so I want have time to do much. Integrating voice with mp3 will
take some time. My next step is the order the Legacy LM71 monitor for the
Fiero. The Fiero is a rear engine car and it has trunk space in the rear
but more importantly it has storage space in the front of the car which is
where the laptop will go. I'll keep the group updated on my progress.

Paul

"Mark Zarella" seesigfile wrote in message
Now you've captured my interest. How do you propose to do this?

(also, there are winamp plugins that allow you to interface buttons to

one
or both serial ports if you're up for the soldering)

Well in theory I just need an extra long cable on the
headphone/microphone which will be connected to the laptop of course.
I simply have to train it to my voice and I tell it to "go to program
name." I'll have to relearn the commands. I have an old version of
ViaVoice that should work just fine.

I'm more interested in knowing about the software itself. Does it work
well? And how would you integrate it to your mp3, etc?

My laptop doesn't have any serial ports only USB.

Thereare usb remotes as well, and usb-serial converters.

lightiv

Hi all, I got my XM Radio PCR for my laptop today. Works great so I took
it out to the car and place the antenna in the front compartment of my Fiero
and still received a good signal. Sounded great coming from my laptop.
Next for the XM is to get a car radio with RCA inputs. FYI the antenna wire
is really long.

Paul

"lightiv" wrote in message
om...
Here is my game plan and I would like your suggestion.

I'm planning on buying a Legacy LM71 monitor and a quality car radio
by Pioneer or Alpine. The core of the system will be my Toshiba
Laptop. The laptop will run the XM Radio PCR, Dolorme EarthMate/TOPO
4.0 GPS and of course Mp3s/DVDs. I plan on using RCA to get the sound
from the laptop to the car radio but I'm not exactly sure on how I'm
going to get the video to the LM71. I'm assuming it only has RCA
inputs so my first thought is to get a VGA to RCA cable.

Well heck, my laptop has an Optical output and I just checked the box
to find an Optical to RCA cable. I've had this laptop for a year now.
Well I guess the only issue now is cable length since I would idealy
like to hide the laptop outside of the passanger compartment. Space
is a premium in a Pontiac Fiero.

This ultimately will bring me all of the features of a computer. Now
if there was cheap cellular/satellite internet. Well I'm kidding
about the internet but having complete audio/video/GPS Navigation from
the laptop is a clever solution at a fraction of the cost to buy car
specific parts.

Once again I would like to hear your thoughts on this solution.

Thoughts and concepts are intellectual property of the poster.
Copyright 2003

WI: 2.0/2.1 speakers for laptop Pranav Kothari General 0 January 22nd 04 11:33 PM
Custom molded in ear monitors General 0 October 18th 03 03:37 PM
Repost: Reason 2.0 on a Celeron 2GHz laptop. Scott Elliott Birch General 17 July 7th 03 11:20 PM
Reason 2.0 on a Celeron 2GHz laptop. Thine Deville General 3 July 6th 03 08:54 PM