Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Fai C Fai C is offline

Default Circlotron

I want to build this circlotron amplifier because this is much easier
for me to handle, especially I read enough posts about this amplifier
from other discussion forum.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/Hybrid2011/index3.html

Since this amplifier original approach is making an integrated
amplifier and I want to build it as standalone amplifier because I
have a preamp with 1V in 4V out.

D3a has a plate resistance of 1.9K and gain of 70 (triode wired), and
I am thinking about putting 300B instead for its low plate resistance
700 ohm, but the gain is sacrifice for only 3.85. As with the 300B,
can I have less step down ratio through interstage transformer.

Also, I consider put a step up input transformer to compensate the
gain by using 300B.

Any suggestion??

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:33:40 -0800 (PST), Fai C
wrote:

I want to build this circlotron amplifier because this is much easier
for me to handle, especially I read enough posts about this amplifier
from other discussion forum.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/Hybrid2011/index3.html

Since this amplifier original approach is making an integrated
amplifier and I want to build it as standalone amplifier because I
have a preamp with 1V in 4V out.

D3a has a plate resistance of 1.9K and gain of 70 (triode wired), and
I am thinking about putting 300B instead for its low plate resistance
700 ohm, but the gain is sacrifice for only 3.85. As with the 300B,
can I have less step down ratio through interstage transformer.

Also, I consider put a step up input transformer to compensate the
gain by using 300B.

Any suggestion??

Thanks!

That seems like an awful lot of time, effort and danger to achieve
what has to be one of the poorest amplifiers ever. What is the
reasoning here?

John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai C View Post
I want to build this circlotron amplifier because this is much easier
for me to handle, especially I read enough posts about this amplifier
from other discussion forum.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/Hybrid2011/index3.html

Since this amplifier original approach is making an integrated
amplifier and I want to build it as standalone amplifier because I
have a preamp with 1V in 4V out.

D3a has a plate resistance of 1.9K and gain of 70 (triode wired), and
I am thinking about putting 300B instead for its low plate resistance
700 ohm, but the gain is sacrifice for only 3.85. As with the 300B,
can I have less step down ratio through interstage transformer.

Also, I consider put a step up input transformer to compensate the
gain by using 300B.

Any suggestion??

Thanks!
The circuit you reference appears to be an infinite money sink. At a parts cost of 1300 € the perfomance vs cost ratio is quite poor.

My zwei pfennig anyway, John
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Fai C Fai C is offline

On Dec 16, 8:33*am, Fai C wrote:
I want to build this circlotron amplifier because this is much easier
for me to handle, especially I read enough posts about this amplifier
from other discussion forum.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/Hybrid2011/index3.html

Since this amplifier original approach is making an integrated
amplifier and I want to build it as standalone amplifier because I
have a preamp with 1V in 4V out.

D3a has a plate resistance of 1.9K and gain of 70 (triode wired), and
I am thinking about putting 300B instead for its low plate resistance
700 ohm, but the gain is sacrifice for only 3.85. As with the 300B,
can I have less step down ratio through interstage transformer.

Also, I consider put a step up input transformer to compensate the
gain by using 300B.

Any suggestion??

Thanks!

Since the ciercuit has D3a there and wire in triode, it has plate
resistance of 1.9K. Can I have less step down ratio interstage
transformer if replacing tube with 1.265K? Let's say 3:1+1 or

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

There is nothing easy about the Circlotron, it's actually a
challenging project. It was mostly a workaround of the Unity Coupled
Mcintosh patents. Since hese are long expired....