Posted to rec.audio.tubes
MarkS MarkS is offline

Default Brook 10C's

OMG!!

To think I had my mitts on one of these 30+ years ago and let it
go....*sigh*.....and that 10C had a potted IST

Mark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brook-10C-Am...em3a 6b05b511

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
"MarkS" wrote:

OMG!!

To think I had my mitts on one of these 30+ years ago and let it
go....*sigh*.....and that 10C had a potted IST

Mark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brook-10C-Am...t=Vintage_Elec
tronics_R2&hash=item3a6b05b511

At that price you would think they could include the 300B output tubes!

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 10, 2:35*am, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brook-10C-Am...3639313?pt=Vin....
tronics_R2&hash=item3a6b05b511

At that price you would think they could include the 300B output tubes!

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/

The last current bid was $17,800, bidding had ended, and and the
reserve not met.
I'd have given $100 each for such old boatanchor junk, knowing one
would have to gut them entirely and re-build them.

The IST is not a potted tranny, merely a bell ended thinge. OPT and PT
are not potted, and look like Old Hammonds, and a bit rusty.
New PSU caps have been placed badly on the chassis leaving two big
holes where old style electros were used.
Wiring under the chassis is a complete rat's nest, and has probably
been repaired/modified umpteen times.

There are no 2A3 to be seen anywhere.

These are very ordinary old crappy amps. But of course some ppl think
they are worth $18,000, and its a just another reminder of how stupid
the world is. I guess some ppl think a worn out 1955 Ford or 1955
bicycle might be worth the same money.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
MarkS MarkS is offline

"MarkS" wrote:
[...]

I sure would not be the one buying them for $17K either but I wish I kept
the one I had (the one with the potted IST).

FWIW, that amp sounded pretty damn good driving a JBL monitor. The source
being an Ampex 351...now there's a combination you don't see everyday.

Anyway, here is a link to the schematic for those interested in the "sliding
bias" circuit:

http://ampslab.com/vintage_brook10c.htm

Thanks,

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"MarkS"

being an Ampex 351...now there's a combination you don't see everyday.

Anyway, here is a link to the schematic for those interested in the
"sliding bias" circuit:

http://ampslab.com/vintage_brook10c.htm

** The diode in the low voltage supply looks like it is drawn back to front.

Be a positive supply as shown.

Voltages are missing too.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Pogossov Alex Pogossov is offline

"flipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:51:01 -0400, "MarkS"
wrote:

snip

I sure would not be the one buying them for $17K either but I wish I kept
the one I had (the one with the potted IST).

FWIW, that amp sounded pretty damn good driving a JBL monitor. The source
being an Ampex 351...now there's a combination you don't see everyday.

Anyway, here is a link to the schematic for those interested in the
"sliding
bias" circuit:

http://ampslab.com/vintage_brook10c.htm

Thanks,

Mark

Almost everyone seems to call that scheme "sliding bias," perhaps
because of Broskie's description, but unless I misread his article it
may be the one time he totally misunderstands a circuit as it's
purpose is to keep bias constant and not, as the 'conventional wisdom'
seems to claim, 'push it into Class AB'.

The design was patented by Lincoln Walsh and works on an observation
he made that if you sum the two output tube's cathode currents the
minimum seen is twice the idle current.

That observation is trivial in the idle and Class A condition, since a
sine averages to idle, and two tubes make for twice the idle current.
In Class AB the average current increases, which everyone who's built
a cathode bias Class AB amp knows of as cathode bypass cap charge up.
However, if you look at the cathode current waveforms you'll see that
the point where the two tube's cathode current crosses over (from one
tube to the other) the current sum is, again, twice idle and is the
lowest point of the sum.

So the trick is to 'capture' that minimum, which is what the first
half of the 6SN7 does. With it's grid grounded a 'low' cathode voltage
causes it to conduct, pulling down the cap on it's plate. As cathode
voltage rises it cuts off and the cap holds that charge subject to
it's long time constant with the resistor network. But before it can
rise significantly another 'minimum' occurs pulling it back down.

This is an interesting principle of automatically maintaining bias.
Obviously it can be used with pentodes. Of course, today the circuit would
benefit from using semiconductors and op-amps. The best would be to also
balance average DC currents in both tubes. I am trying to think of an
elegant solution. Relatively small current sensing resistors (47R or so) in
the cathodes and a couple of op-amps will probably do the job. Such old
ones like LF356 and even LM301 are capable of working with the common mode
close to positive rail. At the same time they permit 30...36V supply
voltage. This makes possible to make a circuit powered from only one
negative supply of about --30...35V. This range would be sufficient to bias
majority of useful pentodes.

In short, it 'holds' that twice idle current value, albeit with some
ripple. There's also some error due to the short duration time of the
minimum limiting how 'close' the cap get's pulled down but the voltage
is essentially the same, within reason, as would be there during idle
or Class A operation.

The second half of the 6SN7 is simply an inverting 'level shifter' amp
that translates the cap voltage into one appropriate for output tube
grid bias.

Rather than a "siding bias" the purpose was to keep bias fixed, as in
fixed bias, but has the 'feature' of being automatic. Wash, and Brook,
called it "Automatic Bias Control."

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Pogossov Alex Pogossov is offline

"flipper" wrote in message

I have, in fact, toyed with the same idea and run simulations using
both opamp and discrete transistor configurations but was never quite
satisfied with the results. Although, it worked well enough (sim) that
I posted one of the configurations in the 'experimental' section.

http://flipperhome.dyndns.org/Full%2...xed%20Bias.htm

From idle at about -8.53V bias to the MOSFET gate (bias at the tube
grid is about -10.2V) the shift at max power out is to about -9.1V
bias on the MOSFET.

Idle current shift from 'normal' to simulating it with double 6BQ5s on
both sides was from 36.1mA to 37.7mA. Not bad at all considering
that's only 4.4% for what would otherwise be twice the current from
'double tubes'.

As the description says, the 'autobias' was tacked onto the previous
'balance' circuit, here

http://flipperhome.dyndns.org/6gk6%2...ed%20fixed.htm

Btw, balance with that servo is like within 25uA.

If you do try something similar I caution to look out for startup
surge because the bias wants to 'naturally' slam against the positive
limit before the tubes begin conducting and if you have a very long
time constant, which is desirable, the tubes will heavily surge if
they warm up faster than the bias circuit responds. That's made doubly
worse with dual servos because you probably want one of them a 'lot'
slower than the other to keep them from feedbacking into each other.

That makes one think of adding a 'startup timer' to keep bias full
negative till the tubes are warm and then let it slowly rise to
setpoint.

I thought of using voltage limiters which would not allow the DC grid bias
to go higher than some practical figure, say --12V (depending on tubes and
operation point). Thus on power-up the tubes will probably run with some
excessive but not dangerous current, but then the servo will bring it down.

As I said, though, it gets more complicated in practice than the
theory suggests.

Very impressive circuits!

For a start I can see that your balancing differential integrator is
unbalanced in itself. You need another 0.22uF cap from non-inverting input
of the op-amp to GND. Then you will not need to filter ripple, and two caps
C1 and C11 will go. (Then your can combine your four 220K resistors R40,
R28, R29, R39 into two 470K). A pole caused by C1 and C11 will go, which is
good for stability of the balancing servo.

Another flaw is lack of explicit current source or pull-up at C9. It uses
base current of Q9 as pull-up. You would agree that beta can vary greatly
which makes time constant of your peak detector a bit rubbery. Better to use
some fixed definite pull-up (probably about 3.3M) from C9 to +15V, and use a
p-MOSFET (BSS138) instead of Q9.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

*"MarkS" wrote:
[...]

I have no doubts about the ability of 2A3 in PP and driven by 6J5 to
give superlative sound as you claim.

Anyway, here is a link to the schematic for those interested in the "sliding
bias" circuit:

http://ampslab.com/vintage_brook10c.htm

Yes, interesting. The total common bias Ik for either 2A3 of 300B ( or
6550 ) if used is sensed by 15r Rk of RH 1/2 6SN7.
So as output Ek rises, the two stage 6SN7 DC amp generates a negative
going grid signal applied to IST sec and hence to the two grids of 6J5
CF driver buffers which allow Class AB2 operation. Its NOT sliding
bias at all, ( IMHO ) , just bias regulation which allows either 2A3
or 300B to be used.
Sliding bias is where you have a low level of Ia at idle, and as the
signal increases the bias Ia in OP tubes is *increased* to keep the
amp in class A, Such a scheme may be made to work off a rectifier
diode and cap from the signal output. Some limitation to the increase
Ia is needed, and I can't think of aqnyone doing such stuff.
It could be done in high PO SE amps which spend most of their lives
wearing out their tubes and causing el mucho greehouso gasso because
max Pda is at idle, and audiophiles usually listen to PO = 1/30 of the
max PO where that is say 30W.

The Si diode is definately shown wrong way around; it has to make a
negative voltage for the bottom of the 6J5 Rks of 27k, and for biasing
6J5 grids on CF.

Sometimes someone puts a diode in wrong, and it helps everyone stay
awake at least, or run around looking for a fire extinguisher - tube
amps are fun you you should know.

But of course the Brook circuit working relies on fairly equal
character 2A3 and 6J5. The bias grid signal controlled by common Ek in
15r under 1/2 6SN7.
OP tube bias current signal is common, not balanced, and if it was,
then each OP tube gets its own little bias signal to keep it happy
without sharing the same signal with its mate. Balanced bias servo
circuits act to balance the Ia in each 1/2 primary, thus minimising
OPT core saturation where Idc is unbalanced. But when bias Ik control
correction becomes balanced, then you have differential application of
the bias grid voltage and then you have a potentially very unstable
amp at LF, especially in the case of the Brook with 4 tube input/
driver stages including an IST. Its all so very easy to try to build
an amp, but end up with a phase shift oscillator.
The Brook is not my cup of tea, well, not for $17k. Anyone could build
a better tube amp for maybe -20dB less bucks if they DIY it.

Patrick Turner.

Thanks,

Mark- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 12, 5:58*pm, flipper wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:51:01 -0400, "MarkS"
wrote:

snip

[...]

IMHO, the AC cathode signal fed to 15r looks like a normal full wave
rectifier signal and the positive average Vdc at 6SN7 Rk of 15r
increases with increasing class AB signals. The positive going Ek
causes positive going anode signal in 6SN7 and there is a 1uF to 0V
which smooths out the ripple. So a calm +Vdc is applied to other 6SN7
grid, and its anode responds with -Vdc sig to increase the grid bias
applied to 6J5 CF grids.
The whole circuit is DC coupled so it regulates the idle DC condition,
and when AB action happens there is some change to bias Ia, but with
music signals the amp would be found to rarely move out of class A so
in fact the bias is just regged, and it slides nowhere.

In short, it 'holds' that twice idle current value, albeit with some
ripple. There's also some error due to the short duration time of the
minimum limiting how 'close' the cap get's pulled down but the voltage
is essentially the same, within reason, as would be there during idle
or Class A operation.

The second half of the 6SN7 is simply an inverting 'level shifter' amp
that translates the cap voltage into one appropriate for output tube
grid bias.

Rather than a "siding bias" the purpose was to keep bias fixed, as in
fixed bias, but has the 'feature' of being automatic. Wash, and Brook,
called it "Automatic Bias Control."

Other makers like Leak just used a pair of 600 ohms for Rk and bypass
caps of 47uF.

One might use 470uF bypasses these days.

Action is very nice, and the two OP tubes get the balanced regulation
of their Ia, and KT66, KT88, KT90 6L6GC, 5881 all might be used as
they bias up all the same without a servo circuit, IST, and the extra
6SN7 and negative supply etc. DC gain is low, so no risk of LF
instability.

While the PO is always class A, then bias remains very little
unchanged. As RLa-a is reduced, action becomes AB, and the Leak or
Brook will both try to bias their OP tubes to have less Ia, and in so
doing, the amps become like a class B amp with much higher THD. In
guitar amps with severe rock'nroll overdrive, and despite fixed bias,
the OP tubes work in class C for sustained overdrive.
But this never happens in hi-fi amps where genteel audiophiles seldom
want a cello to sound louder than if someone was playing a real one
right in front of them.

Patrick T.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

IMHO, the AC cathode signal fed to 15r looks like a normal full wave
rectifier signal and the positive average Vdc at 6SN7 Rk of 15r
increases with increasing class AB signals.

So far so good.

The positive going Ek
causes positive going anode signal

It can't because of the long time constant of the anode capacitor.

I think you are are wrong because the the ac signal at 6SN7 cathode
has an increasing AVERAGE DC voltage after class AB action has begun.
Its like a choke input PSU where the ac before the choke contains a
whole range of harmonics of the fundemental Fo, plus the average Vdc,
0.63 x Peak AC volts. Similarly, in any diode plus cap input PSU or
radio AM detector, the dc signal contained with AC signal flows
unimpeded while AC IS reduced to low levels. And BTW, there are such
things as 'plate detectors' used in AM radios. The Brook has a version
where the detection works to produce Vdc change but very little AC
change at an anode.
The Brook anode cap is open circuit at 0.0Hz. Sure there is a time
constant. But you will find that even if the cap was 100uF, not the
1uF shown, that the Ea will rise if a Vac signal is applied to the
cathode with an average positive going DC component due to increased
Idc in the two OP tubes.

The tube has low plate resistance when on (low Ek) and discharges the
cap but when Ek goes positive the anode *tries* to go positive but
can't with any speed because of the long RC time constant.

Indeed the anode Ea won't go high quickly with just one short pulse
burst of class AB action. But continual high Vac at top of 15r Rk WILL
have a LASTING Vdc component, so Ea WILL rise, and therefore apply a
more positive Vg to 2nd 6SN7, which produces a more negative Ea, which
makes the applied 2A3 grid bias go more negative. It works much the
same way as having bypassed Rk on OP tubes. The DC CURRENT INCREASE in
OP tubes causes the Rk to develop a higher than idle Ek, and any AC
currents present get bypassed by Ck, and all the better if Ck = 1,000
uF, not the lousy low values used when Brook was building amps like
the 10C.

Because this is a feedback circuit minimum Ek will settle around the
g-k 'threshold' voltage. I.E. the point where the tube conducts and
above which it is theoretically 'off'.

In reality the threshold is not terribly sharp, which limits its
effectiveness, and may be why some people misinterpret the thing as a
'sliding bias'. Same kind of problem as if one used the forward drop
of an LED as a voltage reference instead of something better like a
2.5V zener.

in 6SN7 and there is a 1uF to 0V
which smooths out the ripple.

It certainly smoothes 'ripple' all right.

Indeed.

Using your logic above, though, a simple full wave rectified and cap
filtered power supply would be at the 'average' of the input, instead
of (near) the peak, but it's not and for the same unequal impedance
(and diode steering) reason.

I suggest you study plate detectors for AM,
and examine basic workings of amplifiers a little more fully.

The 'charge' cycle is from the low
impedance winding and 'discharge' is through a comparatively high
impedance circuit load. It quickly charges up and then slowly
discharges so the 'average' is near the AC peak. Same with that 6SN7,
except inverted. The anode cap discharge cycle is from the low
impedance anode and the slow charge cycle is through the high
impedance resistor network. It's going to ripple filter at (near) the
minimums.

That doesn't explain what's happening. Think more simply and
basically.

So a calm +Vdc is applied to other 6SN7
grid, and its anode responds with -Vdc sig to increase the grid bias
applied to 6J5 CF grids.
The whole circuit is DC coupled so it regulates the idle DC condition,
and when AB action happens there is some change to bias Ia, but with
music signals the amp would be found to rarely move out of class A so
in fact the bias is just regged, and it slides nowhere.

The design intent isn't because of the music signals, which certainly
helps, but the circuit 'filtering' at the Ek minimums.

At turn on, the 2A3 have very quick emission start up time due to DH
cathodes, but because 6SN7 is slow to turn on, maximum negative bias
is being applied to 6J5 grids and to 27k Rk for 6J5, so a low Ia
initially exists in 2A3, and low Vdc across 15r. So thus the Ia turn
of the 2A3 is delayed and is slightly slower than the 6SN7 turn on
time. Its an ingenious soft turn on circuit. Once everything warms up,
bias is regged, and the class AB action with high Iac at common Rk of
15r has no effect on biasing, except for the Idc average level which
works through the 6SN7 regardless of whatever the Vac may be across
the 15r.

[...]

Which should be a great big clue they didn't stick a tube in there
just to do the same thing as bypassed Rk's.

Makers of Leak et all employed bean counters, and bean counters
reminded CEOs of profit losses if too much engineer inspired design
went in under any chassis.

After Brook, some designers were able to give good enough reasons to
DUMP the Brook and other ideas favoured by the old *******s of 1950
who liked to stay rooted in the pre WW2 past. Williamson came along to
show you just didn't need a Brook bias circuit, or a damned IST,
especially if you wished to make a fully and unconditionally stable
amp with a useful amount of NFB. Willy made things a lot more
difficult for OPT makers, and so he got laughed off the stage with
rotten eggs thrown by bean counters and CEOs.

**** 'em all, I'll do it my way Flipper.

The Brook bias reg circuit could be implemented using a pair of signal
transistors, with emitter re to keep gain low as the 6SN7; should work
fine, but not really needed.

While the PO is always class A, then bias remains very little
unchanged. As RLa-a is reduced, action becomes AB, and the Leak or
Brook will both try to bias their OP tubes to have less Ia,

No, the Brook won't. That is *the purpose* of the 6SN7, to keep a
'fixed bias'.

Here again you are wrong. The Vdc signal in 15r Rk RISES when class A
action moves to class AB.
So this causes a more negative bias voltage to be applied to 2A3. The
bias is NOT fixed at all.

In a fixed bias amp, Eg remains fixed after a human sets the grid bias
pots. Ia is allowed to rise above the idle value and it has no effect
on Eg applied bias. This gives the least THD in class AB amps,
although if one were to make Eg more positive as Ia anmd Ik rose, then
Pda in OP tubes increases so the class A portion of power increases,
therefore reducing THD. Its sliding bias. Some SS amps used this, even
big fat Marantz amps. All sorts of claims were made about the
betterment of sound with increased idle current when signals went
higher, but usually you'll find that when you listen to music through
an SS amp, and you manually adjust the bias pot to change between
class C with devices biased right off for part of the wave cycle, or
or adjust the pot for high class A bias current which one would not
want to keep doing for long, you hear NO music quality change. This is
because the amp probably has 60dB of applied NFB, and the crossover
distortion and resultant IMD is virtually all reduced below 0.01% no
matter what the bias setting is, and looking at the wave forms
confirms this view. I've done this while repairing amps.

Tube amps don't have the luxury of having more than 20dB NFB at most,
so they need to be linear so class A triodes are used, but where high
PO is to be sustained, its usually not a hi-fi situation any more, but
a PA sit, so if the amp is biased towards class B and THD moves from
0.2% at 10W to 1% at 25W, nobody worries, its still below 1%.

They could, of course, have simply done a plain old pot fixed bias but
that wouldn't be self biasing.

Pots in the hands of owners are dangerous. People don't bother or
forget to adjust bias.

and in so
doing, the amps become like a class B amp with much higher THD.

In their white paper Brook claims the amp will do 30 continuous Class
AB2 watts with less than 2.5% distortion. Care to make a guess what
distortion would be with the Leak under the same conditions?

Well, the Brook would indeed make at least 2.5% at 30W.

Leaks with pair of KT66 in triode might give 12W at 0.1% THD, and in
AB1 with a lower RLa-a, maybe 2.5%,
And more if working in UL mode. One might set up KT66 to work in class
AB2 which would allow the triode power to be nearly as high as the UL
mode. Sure, expect lots of THD.

But while hi-fi music from a pair of 2A3 has an average level far
below the maximum AB2 power at 30W+,
the peaks in music, drum-beats etc, could rise to the 30W+ level with
little THD/IMD increase.

The majority of PP tube amps made now act in class A for 95% of most
listener requirements, but they move to class AB for transients and
during such time the cathode biasing hardly changes. Measure an amp
sometime, and you'll soon get to know what really happens.

http://www.tubecad.com/2007/12/15/Hi...20Amplifier%20...

In
guitar amps with severe rock'nroll overdrive, and despite fixed bias,
the OP tubes work in class C for sustained overdrive.
But this never happens in hi-fi amps

Which is why bringing up guitar amp overdrive was utterly irrelevant.

We should know how ALL amps, even the Brook 10C would respond to being
heavily overdriven.

What happens if an audiophile does not notice one speaker lead is
shorted? The NFB vastly increases the signal drive to OP tubes, and Ia
rises dramatically, so the Brook responds by changing its applied grid
bias to much more negative, maybe saving the tubes until the dopey
audiophile wakes up about what's wrong.

Of course you'd like to prevent me saying stuff, but I just won't ****
off and STFU.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 14, 7:22*pm, flipper wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 19:46:41 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:

snip of typical Turner arrogant babble

http://www.tubecad.com/2007/12/15/Hi...20Amplifier%20....

Read the damn paper, Patrick. That's why I gave you a link to it.

I've had a read, and there's nothing which I need to change about what
I've said in recent posts about how the Brook amp works.

"For best operation, it is desirable that
the instantaneous minimum of the sum of
the plate currents be held substantially
constant at the zero signal value. This abc
*circuit is therefore designed to
utilize this instantaneous minimum of
plate current as the control factor in
setting the grid bias, and is substantially
unaffected by changes in the average
current due to increases in the plate
current which occur during the signal
cycle.
.

As the charge on condenser
C27 has too short an interval to build up
its voltage appreciably, its average
voltage remains substantially at the value
for zero signal and does not change
appreciably when the signal increases
from zero to a very large value."

All very well as stated in 1947. I did make one mistake in seeing the
anode to ground cap for 6SN7 was 1uF, but in fact it was 0.1uF, so
that the ripple reduction or Vac shunting at 6SN7 has a time constant
1/10 of what I thought was there, the 1.0 uF, because a decimal point
went missing in poor scans of old schematics. I thought 1.0uF was a
bit too large a value to do the job, a smaller one would do, because a
1.0uF paper cap rated for 400Vdc would have been a monster, and sent
the bean counters into a rabid frenzy over its cost. But C could be
10.0uF, and the circuit would still respond exactly as I said to
average dc levels at 2A3 cathodes rising with class AB1 or AB2 action,
providing the sine wave signal at the clipping level was maintained.

The 1947 article says only 11 dB global NFB is used, and that they
tried to ensure least dependance on NFB. The Brook designer shows he
had little or no understanding of critical damping and the only
attempt at fiddling with open loop response to make the circuit work
OK with GNFB and presumably a pure resistance load is the use of 4k7 +
0.001uF LPF before the CF drivers to OP tubes. This probably makes the
HF performance worse, and more likely to be unstable at HF. There is
no C across the NFB Rfb, 1,000 ohms. I have no details of how the OPT
was designed, and unless I knew exactly about the quality of such an
important item, I can't agree the old Brook Boatanchor is more better
than an old boatanchor, which can be ought for a lot less than
$17,000. The performance of the IST is another thing I'd like to know.

IMH0, Mr Wiliamson knew rather more than Mr Brook. Mr W knew what to
keep OUT of his amps, and he knew more better about what to put IN,
and why. Bean counters didn't agree of course with just about
anything anyone did, leaving CEOs to vote for profits rather than for
excellence in amplifiers. Such wicked shenanigans has led to so only
very few mass made amps which are good enough to withstand the glare
of public scrutiny. Nowdays, nothing is to be gained by copying a
Brook amp; the USAF is NOT about to begin a production run of old
Hellcats, although the coming generation of drone attack aircraft are
making last year's models look like real dumb turkeys.

If you disagree, then say just how and why.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Pogossov Alex Pogossov is offline

"flipper" wrote in message

wrote:

snip of typical Turner arrogant babble

http://www.tubecad.com/2007/12/15/Hi...20Amplifier%20...

Read the damn paper, Patrick. That's why I gave you a link to it.

I've had a read, and there's nothing which I need to change about what
I've said in recent posts about how the Brook amp works.

Then at least we've established you either can't read or think
"instantaneous minimum" is an average.

And blind as a bat too since he also provides a pretty set of o-scope
like pictures in fig 2. showing individual tube currents, the sum
currents, where the minimums occur, that they're the same as idle, and
the detected bias level being the same, plus ripple, in Class AB as
Class A or idle.

Partick is only partly right. Because of the not very sharp cutoff of 6SL7,
the "trough-detector" 6SN7 it will not be ideally tracking the minima, but
will be to some extent "confused" by the average current.

Surely if you idle that amp for a while, measure negative bias on 2A3s, then
apply a continuous sine-wave for a few seconds and measure the bias again,
it will go down (provided the B+ is stable) -- the servo will try to reduce
idle current of 2A3s. This is not the intention of the designer though. The
intention was to make an ideal trough detector. Today it can be acieved with
semiconductors easily.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Read the damn paper, Patrick. That's why I gave you a link to it.

I've had a read, and there's nothing which I need to change about what
I've said in recent posts about how the Brook amp works.

Then at least we've established you either can't read or think
"instantaneous minimum" is an average.

And blind as a bat too since he also provides a pretty set of o-scope
like pictures in fig 2. showing individual tube currents, the sum
currents, where the minimums occur, that they're the same as idle, and
the detected bias level being the same, plus ripple, in Class AB as
Class A or idle.

I don't get what you mean in this para.

The Brook article more or less confirms what I've seen on my scope.

But while ever the OP tubes remain in class A, the average Vdc at top
of a common Rk will remain about constant. But once you move to class
AB where the positive going peak load currents can be 3 times the idle
current, then the average Vdc at common Rk rises and a dc meter should
confirm this. Put an 8 ohm load onto a Quad-II amp set for 16 ohms and
the RLa-a becomes 2k0 approx, and most PO is then AB1, and Ek rises
across the bypassed 180 ohm Rk. without the bypass cap, there is still
a rise, and if the rise in Ek is amplified by a Vdc amp to increase
the negative grid bias, the amp might begin to work in class C !

But at idle and and while in class A, the Brook 10C effectively
regulates its Idc total anode current so that one may uses 2A3, 300B,
and probably one might use KT88, KT90, 6550, EL34, 6L6, KT66, etc,
etc, and as long as the Pda at idle is kept below say 15 watts at idle
for each OP tube then all is about well enough - for class A
operation. Methinks that high power class Class AB1 or AB2 isn't as
good as having plain old fixed bias.

The only way to fix the auto cathode bias and keep it fixed during
class AB is to shunt excessive load currents as they occur to prevent
Vdc rise at cathodes. See my circuits for Dynamic Bias Stabilisation
at http://www.turneraudio.com.au/300w-5...tabilizer.html

This wasn't really possible in 1947, but had it been, some bright
******* would have invented it and tried to sell amps because they had
it and others didn't.

To stop tubes melting down during faults, I use active fault detection
circuits that were difficult to implement in 1947 because such
circuits needed a couple of tubes and a relay sensitve to low
currents, ie, a delicate high resistance relay coil. But fault
detection circuits are dead easy with a few bjts with SCR and mini R&C
bits and a 12V supply. And you can have LEDs to tellya what's wrong,
and if the Idc balance is set wrong. The Brook is a nice attempt to
sell an amp with yet another you-beaut idea of "automatic bias"
whatever. Just about all amps produced have a LOUD subliminal message
leading to sales. Bose has a "Lifestyle System". But tiny crummy 2"
drivers in matchbox speakers are on ceiling with bass speaker in
corner, and kitchen remote. Shiealas fall for such crap, but not me.
B&O make a range of truly horrid products. I've had to work on their
POSs. Quad amps could have been better. I have bullet holes still
healing up after the last time I said that here. But ESL57 were
exceptionally good, and I'd hazard a guess the Brook 10C with 300B
would be good to drive ESL57 - if you can ever find a pair that work
properly after 40 years and which won't cook an amp as I have seen
them do when arcing occurs in old panels.

My 3.1428 cent's worth,

Patrick Turner.

"For best operation, it is desirable that
the instantaneous minimum of the sum of
the plate currents be held substantially
constant at the zero signal value. This abc
circuit is therefore designed to
utilize this instantaneous minimum of
plate current as the control factor in
setting the grid bias, and is substantially
unaffected by changes in the average
current due to increases in the plate
current which occur during the signal
cycle.
.
As the charge on condenser
C27 has too short an interval to build up
its voltage appreciably, its average
voltage remains substantially at the value
for zero signal and does not change
appreciably when the signal increases
from zero to a very large value."

snip of arm waving- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 15, 7:22*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:33:17 +1100, "Alex Pogossov"

wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I said the same in my description and even speculated that may be why
some are fooled into thinking it's a 'sliding bias'. I even gave a
solid state analogous example of using a forward biased LED to
'regulate' rather than something better like a zener.

Btw, he's using a 6SN7 (7N7).

Surely if you idle that amp for a while, measure negative bias on 2A3s, then
apply a continuous sine-wave for a few seconds and measure the bias again,
it will go down (provided the B+ is stable) -- the servo will try to reduce
idle current of 2A3s. This is not the intention of the designer though. The
intention was to make an ideal trough detector. Today it can be acieved with
semiconductors easily.

I also said 'intended design' because I don't know 'how well' their
implementation worked.

Just for chuckles I stuck a 6SN7 in that solid state circuit as the
detector, cathode where the emitter was and grid grounded. I question
whether a 'real life' tube would work at 7V and a couple of uA but not
only does the simulator let it run but bias was rock solid from 1W to
20W output. A kluge like that doesn't really mean much but it was
still surprising.- Hide quoted text -

Try a real amp with a real tubes, with real meters and a real Mr
O'Scope, that Irish truthist.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 16, 10:07*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 02:56:11 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:
Read the damn paper, Patrick. That's why I gave you a link to it.

I've had a read, and there's nothing which I need to change about what
I've said in recent posts about how the Brook amp works.

Then at least we've established you either can't read or think
"instantaneous minimum" is an average.

And blind as a bat too since he also provides a pretty set of o-scope
like pictures in fig 2. showing individual tube currents, the sum
currents, where the minimums occur, that they're the same as idle, and
the detected bias level being the same, plus ripple, in Class AB as
Class A or idle.

I don't get what you mean in this para.

I mean you can't grasp what's written nor see it put into pretty
pictures and you prove it by again claiming 'it says' what you say. It
does not and your description is simply flat ass wrong.

What the hell do you think they mean by "instantaneous minimum?"

The Brook article more or less confirms what I've seen on my scope.

That's where the blind as a bat comes in. Figure 2 clearly shows the
automatic bias control capturing the voltage minimums and that bias
does NOT 'rise' during Class AB operation.

snip of flat ass wrong

The only way to fix the auto cathode bias and keep it fixed during
class AB is to shunt excessive load currents as they occur to prevent
Vdc rise at cathodes.

Wrong. The Lincoln Walsh "Automatic Bias Control" used by Brook keeps
bias fixed at essentially the same level from idle to Class A to Class
AB.

Here's his patent. Although, if you can't get it from the article I
don't know how you're going to get it from the patent. Fig 2 comes
straight from it.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2361889.pdf

He explicitly states in the patent: "the plate current rises
substantially but the grid bias voltage remains substantially at it's
no load value."

From the patent I've read, I quote, "...as the bias on the grids of
the push-pull amplifier tubes becomes more negative by the the control
line, the plate current of these tubes is reduced to a value at which
the system finds equilibrium.."

So as Vdc average V across 15r increases, the 2A3 grid bias is
adjusted to keep their total Ia constant. I have no argument with Mr
Walsh to this point, and I agree substantially with all his displayed
wave forms. A Vdc voltmeter held across the 15r would show a
considerable rise in Vdc when high power class AB action occurs.
I'm not sure the the claims about time constants somehow stopping the
grid bias change, but the sawtooth wave in the bottom Oscope trace is
labelled "rate of rise determined by C27 and R28", and most ripple is
filtered away, lest Vac be fed to OP tube grids as well as amplified
Vdc bias voltage.

The rate of rise I assume is the sawtooth rise, and not the slow
change to Vdc bias.

But it seems to me that the negative OP tube grid bias DOES INCREASE
to keep the total plate current constant regardless of the OP tube
to the OP tubes can more than double during class AB operation.

The conditions for the increase in negative grid bias depend on how
long the high power class AB effort is sustained.

None of Walsh's wave forms show the variation in applied OP tube bias
over a long period of say thousands of times the time for one wave at
the test signal frequency. If the test signal is at 400Hz, a common F
used for testing amps in 1947, then one might like to know what
happens to grid bias voltage over a sustained 30W power level from AB
2A3 over say a 10 second time, and my guess is the bias applied to 2A3
would indeed go very negative, but the trace shown in the patent used
to display the sawtooth shows only a tiny number of test signal waves,
so you can't see the slow Vdc change.

So I see that this Walsh auto biasing method has the same defect of
all automatic servo biasing or cathode RC network biasing of class AB
tubes if the amp works in class AB, or B, and high levels are
sustained. But while the amp works in class A for most of the time,
servo bias or cathode biasing is OK. The Walsh auto bias would work
better than RC cathode biasing to maintain constant Ia in OP tubes at
the idle conditioni, but for lowest THD in class AB, one needs to
allow unimpeded rise in total tube Ia and NO CHANGE to all electrode
voltages from the condition at idle, which means no fiddling with grid
bias, and also means regulating the anode supply, and in 1947, the
latter meant using a good choke input plate supply.

Why don't ya see the Walsh idea used in many amps?

Its not as good as Walsh makes out.

I rest my case.

If one uses my Dynamic Bias Stabilisation method, no Walsh type of
grid voltage fiddle is attempted. Grid bias is kept constant. Cathode
biasing is used, and Ek kept constant; Ek hardly rises much regardless
of class AB hard work; Ia is allowed to increase as it must to
maintain lowest class AB THD, so it is kept low as true fixed bias. If
I see something worth copying from Mr Walsh, I might be tempted, but I
don't.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 16, 10:10*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 02:59:29 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:22*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:33:17 +1100, "Alex Pogossov"

wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Puffery.

Why don't you try building the circuit since reading how it works
isn't working for you.

I've spent many years building tube amps and repairing them.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 17, 11:59*am, flipper wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:51:57 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:22*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:33:17 +1100, "Alex Pogossov"

wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Irrelevant. You never built the Walsh ABC circuit, clearly can't grasp
his own description of it, and never put your "real meters and a real
Mr O'Scope" to it.- Hide quoted text -

Sure I ain't built a Brook 10C. I doubt I'd learn anything I didn't
know already because I've built so much other stuff.

Have you built a Brook 10C? where are your detailed test results?
Building the amp in a simulator does not count.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

From the patent I've read, I quote, "...as the bias on the grids of
the push-pull amplifier tubes becomes more negative by the the control
line, the plate current of these tubes is reduced to a value at which
the system finds equilibrium.."

Instead of trying to find snippets to supposedly 'prove' what you
already wrongly think try reading to understand it. That entire
section begins with "when the static or no signal plate currents of
the output tubes..."

Yes, it automatically adjusts bias. That's why the title of the patent
is "Automatic Bias Control."

And what causes the negative bias voltage to output tubes to change to
a wanted value?
Its the Vdc across the 15 ohms.

So as Vdc average V across 15r increases, the 2A3 grid bias is
adjusted to keep their total Ia constant. I have no argument with Mr
Walsh to this point,

You don't even know what the conditions are.

No, you don't realise I know all too well what the waveforms tell me.

and I agree substantially with all his displayed
wave forms. A Vdc voltmeter held across the 15r would show a
considerable rise in Vdc when high power class AB action occurs.

There is no "Vdc" in Class AB. It's a friggin 'rectified AC waveform',
as you once described it.

Unfortunately, you cannot recognise where there is a Vdc present as
you are blinded by the Vac shown at the top of the 15 ohms.

The voltage across the 15 ohms is **always** above 0V. It **cannot go
negative**, OK, and the voltage across the 15 ohms pilot sensing
resistance is caused by both the AC current constituent and the DC
current constituent. When the amp works in class AB with a low load to
allow 30W, the positive going Vac peaks at 15 ohms are several times
the Vdc found at idle with no signal.

If you looked at a full wave power rectifier with CT winding feeding
an R load with no C you'd find that there are a procession of half
sine wave cycles rising above 0V at the load R, and the average Vdc
level = 0.63 x peak Vac, and that the main Vac is twice the
fundemental mains F, and that other harmonics are present.

What happens in a class AB or class B amp is very similar to a
rectifier circuit, and in the Brook the Vdc present at the cathode
moves well above the total idle Idc of both tubes x Rk when the amp
works in heavy class AB. The 6SN7 with Rk = 15 ohms is turned on fully
at idle because very little grid bias is present, and Eg1 = close to
0V. Any rise in Ek due to class AB action in the OP tubes begins to
turn off the 6SN7, thus causing a rise in Ea, and this happens with
gusto as the 6SN7 is very much alive, and initially well away from cut
off.

There would be huge Vac changes at the 6SN7 if there was no 0.1uF, but
such Vac changes are miniscule with 0.1uF, just a saw tooth wave, but
the cap has huge impedance at DC, and the 6SN7 anode Vdc change
happens just like in a rectifier.

Doesn't matter what a "VDC voltmeter" would say because the circuit
doesn't behave as a "VDC voltmeter." It's a voltage minimum '-peak and
hold' detector.

You just DON'T GET IT.

Fourier would be laughing his head off at you. There IS A VDC PRESENT
at the cathodes of the 2A3 and its a higher voltage than at idle
during class AB action.

I'm not sure the the claims about time constants somehow stopping the
grid bias change,

You're "not sure" because you refuse to follow the operational
description.

The cap and R time constant does not stop the 2 x 1/2 6SN7 acting as a
Vdc direct coupled amplifier. Its the only damn thing its allowed to
do !!!!!

but the sawtooth wave in the bottom Oscope trace is
labelled "rate of rise determined by C27 and R28",

Right. The plate voltage is RAPIDLY pulled down by the Ek minimum and
then slowly rises, which is why it's a sawtooth. The 'rise' is how
much it will deviate from the idle current voltage before being
rapidly pulled back down to it again.

Forget the Ek minimum for now. Just think first of the idle condition
when 1.2Vdc exists aross the 15r. Its a result of 2 x 40mA bias
currents flowing in 15r.

Now consider the pure class A action of the amp where the Idc flow to
2A3 anodes remains constant. At idle the total tube Pda = say 350V x
80mA = 28W total, and with pure class A PO = say 7W, Pda drops to 21W,
with the other 7W liberated as heat in the load. Idc at cathodes
remains 2 x 40mA = 80mA and Vdc at cathodes also remains constant. Vac
at cathodes is mainly 2H distortion content. But each tube moves close
to cut off, but doesn't cut off. The distortion voltage shows that the
max ON current swing of each tube exceeds the minimum OFF current of
each tube, and because the currents of both tubes with opposite phase
currents are present, you just get mainly 2H at k.

But it all changes when the load goes to a lower value , and one tries
to force the tubes into class AB for 30Watts. Imax is much higher than
Imin for each tube. Imin is zero, cut off. The resultant wave at
common Rk becomes like a rectifier, and the Vdc content of wave
becomes higher than at idle. Ia input from PSU increases bay maybe 2
times with class AB max. Ea x Ia input may be 56W, and if 30W audio PO
is obtained then Pda = 26W. And if you measured the Vdc at Ek, sure
enough, your meter would merely have an RC LPF to shunt the Vac at the
cap to allow the measurement of Vdc, and sure enough you'd find its a
lot higher than at idle.

and most ripple is
filtered away, lest Vac be fed to OP tube grids as well as amplified
Vdc bias voltage.

The rate of rise I assume is the sawtooth rise, and not the slow
change to Vdc bias.

But it seems to me that the negative OP tube grid bias DOES INCREASE

Nope. Look at the bottom of fig 2. It does not increase, except for
the 'rise time' of the 'ripple' you just 'wondered' about.

But the patent says the -Vdc DOES increase, due to action I quoted
" ...as the bias on the grids of the push-pull amplifier tubes becomes
more negative by the control line, the plate current of these tubes is
reduced to a value at which the system finds equilibrium.."

The control line is the Vdc amplifier, the 6SN7.

to keep the total plate current constant

Wrong, as he explicitly states with what I already quoted: "the plate
current rises substantially but the grid bias voltage remains
substantially at it's no load value."

Over a short period of time yes, but not if the input signal is
continuous. The idea is to control the bias at idle with a music
signal. Sine waves up to clipping with a low RLa-a for max class AB
cause significant -Vdc bias change.

regardless of the OP tube
to the OP tubes can more than double during class AB operation.

And it does here too because he's created an 'automatic' FIXED BIAS
scheme.

Sure its fixed. But only under ideal test conditions.

That's the whole POINT of the invention, as he explicitly explains in
the patent: "It is the purpose of the invention to provide an
amplifier which will combine the high performance characteristics of
the FIXED BIAS type of amplifier, with the freedom of criticalness of
the self bias form of amplifier..." (emphasis mine)

yes, yes, all very well, and a waste of a 6SN7 IMHO. And there is
NOTHING to combat any Idc imbalance in an OP stage. With an old Leak,
there were two x 600 ohm Rk each with bypass cap. This worked
magnificently while coupling caps remained good with no leakage, and
tubes didn't age, but when they did age, the differences in Iadc was
minimised in a way that just don't happen with a common Rk, eg, in
Quad-II, and in the original Williamson.

If one wanted even better Idc balance and simple bias reg then one
might use Rk = 1k2, and bias both OP grids at say + 30Vdc, and Ek =
+60V, for Ia in each = 50mA. Today one could use CCS to bias the
cathodes. But the higher the Rk value, the larger the Ek swing due to
rectifier effects when AB action happens.

The conditions for the increase in negative grid bias depend on how
long the high power class AB effort is sustained.

Exactly no, as he says again in what I already quoted: "the grid bias
voltage remains substantially at it's no load value."

Ah well, Mr Walsh has fallen well short of showing informing us fully
it seems. He has, or at least his attorney has got you properly
bambozzled, probably on purpose so that they know what's being said,
but you don't, and they wouldn't want anyone to really know, lest ppl
work it out and copy it with a slight difference. We are discussing
how a patent has been written and not how a scientific paper which
tells all might tell it, too very different exercises.

None of Walsh's wave forms show the variation in applied OP tube bias
over a long period of say thousands of times the time for one wave at
the test signal frequency. If the test signal is at 400Hz, a common F
used for testing amps in 1947, then one might like to know what
happens to grid bias voltage over a sustained 30W power level from AB
2A3 over say a 10 second time,

HE TELLS YOU: "the grid bias voltage remains substantially at it's no
load value."

Repeating the same line like a parrot will not hide your
misunderstanding of how the Brook circuit works.

There is that legal word in there, "substantially", and it allows them
to say almost anything, and get granted the patent. Pity help anyone
building a similar thing or copying it. Then Walshie's lawyers take
anyone doing similar to bits and they all get paid, and such is the
nature of legals in enterprize - endless arguments over how some half
baked amp circuit works, and what sales and money the owner of the
patent is missing out on etc, etc, etc. So to beat Walshie's lawyers,
you needed a bigger better legal team, and you needed to be rich, and
basically out-legal your opposition. Meanwhile, the truth about the
circuit remains obscure to just about everyone.

What is missing is a graph showing the increase of -Vdc bias to OP
grids against the increase in PO to an RLa-a which gives class AB
action and the wave forms already shown. And on the graph the Iadc
input to OPT CT and B+ at CT should also be shown.

I would say I have Walsh's idea sussed, and I ain't in any hurry to
copy it and I know why.

and my guess is the bias applied to 2A3
would indeed go very negative, but the trace shown in the patent used
to display the sawtooth shows only a tiny number of test signal waves,
so you can't see the slow Vdc change.

Because it's irrelevant since "the grid bias voltage remains
substantially at it's no load value."

Parroting makes you look a fool.

So I see that this Walsh auto biasing method has the same defect of
all automatic servo biasing or cathode RC network biasing of class AB
tubes if the amp works in class AB, or B, and high levels are
sustained.

You 'see' it because you do the three monkeys, hear nothing, see
nothing, speak nothing, but what you've already 'concluded'.

And telling me I'm like more than one dumb monkey does nothing to show
how wrong you are.

But while the amp works in class A for most of the time,
servo bias or cathode biasing is OK. The Walsh auto bias would work
better than RC cathode biasing to maintain constant Ia in OP tubes at
the idle conditioni, but for lowest THD in class AB, one needs to
allow unimpeded rise in total tube Ia and NO CHANGE to all electrode
voltages from the condition at idle,

Which is EXACTLY what he describes in what I already quoted: "the grid
bias voltage remains substantially at it's no load value."

which means no fiddling with grid
bias, and also means regulating the anode supply, and in 1947, the
latter meant using a good choke input plate supply.

That's the case with any potentiometer based fixed bias. IF B+ droops
then effective 'idle' will also droop.

No. The fixed bias is derived from a transformer bias winding and the
winding voltage does not drop as much as the B+ might drop when
producing high PO in class AB. The increase in Ia in class AB does not
cause much transformer winding drop. The B+ drop comes from the
effective series resistance of the choke and the rectifier tube and
transformer winding resistance.

Actually, Walsh's ABC control will adjust bias less negative since the
minimums will decrease, reflecting the lower effective 'idle'
condition but there might be a momentary higher than normal bias
condition if B+ recovers faster than the ABC rise time.

BS.

Why don't ya see the Walsh idea used in many amps?

Maybe because everyone thinks it's a 'sliding bias' due to Broskie's
description.

Wrong. Those who could understand the patent circuit, irrespective of
what the lawyers said in print, decided it wasn't worth copying, and
paying royalties, even if there were increased sales.

Walsh was pushing a half baked gimick.

As for 'back then', the vast majority of amplifiers were self bias
because it's simpler and, hence, cheaper. Adding a tube costs money
and, in addition, it was patented so they'd have to pay Walsh to use
it as well.

Exactly, the world sure didn't need the Walsh idea.

I can't read minds but having been in product development myself I can
make an educated guess they decided it wasn't 'worth it'.

Precisely. I know why such a circuit would have brought smiles to
faces of other amp designers, who might have said,

" I shall Brook no opposition "

Its not as good as Walsh makes out.

Says they guy who doesn't know how it works.

Says the parrot, sqawk, squawk, Screeeeaaach,

I rest my case.

And I buried it. R.I.P.

hehe, I'm the Undead Zombie from Hell !!!!!

If one uses my Dynamic Bias Stabilisation method, no Walsh type of
grid voltage fiddle is attempted. Grid bias is kept constant. Cathode
biasing is used, and Ek kept constant; Ek hardly rises much regardless
of class AB hard work; Ia is allowed to increase as it must to
maintain lowest class AB THD, so it is kept low as true fixed bias.

It's certainly better than nothing but you exaggerate. Your "Dynamic
Bias Stabilisation" limits the amount of shift but does not eliminate
it, even if 'tweaked', because the amount of current shunted by the
transistor is not 'matched' to the amount needed to maintain the idle
condition 'average' current, and can't be over all Class AB
conditions. Second, the point at which the transistor begins to
conduct has to be an 'approximation' because it's impossible to know
what the 'actual' idle current will be over tube and B+ variations.

You'd be surprised how well my circuit works. Sure, there is no
attempt to keep Ek **exactly** at the idle bias level when class AB
action gets underway. Consider if Ea = 500V and Ik = 33mA, and Rk =
1k2 ohms. Ek at idle would be +40Vdc. Now without any shunting of Ia
rise above 2 x Ia at idle during AB action, Ek might be +65Vdc at AB
clipping, and grid bias of the tube is -65Vdc, and tube is biased
nearly off, and lots of crossover 3H distortion appears as the wave
swings through 0V at the output. But one could allow the Ek to rise to
say +45Vdc with the same load without causing the huge increase in 3H.
Plus you have not lost 20Vdc Ea headroom needed to get a high PO. I
found that my DBS system can allow Ek to fall a bit in class AB with
increasing Ia, before it rises slightly above the idle condition, so
that the AB action causes the tubes to move towards more class A
before moving on to being similar to class AB with fixed bias. Most
music is heard in hi-fi amps with class A action only, except for
drumbeats and temporary transients. The high current short term class
AB peaks might slightly disturb the Ek and Idc balance in a
conventional cathode bias amp, but this lurching bias effect is
prevented entirely because the current that would have charged up Ck
is immediately shunted by the transistors and their low collector
loads. The low collector loads are not too critical, and are needed to
limit the current which may be shunted through the bjt, or a mosfet if
it is used. A Ck = 1,000uF charged at +40Vdc has enough charge to
demolish an SS power device easily unless you have a limiting R.
100 ohms limits Ic to 0.4Amps max, easy for a BJT designed for 4 amps.

You method does have the advantage of better balance due to the
cathode bias (which is why I tried combining the Walsh ABC with my
current balance servo).

I'm not so sure. Using my DBS, you get adequate Ek reg with multiple
OP tubes each with individual R&C cathode networks. The DBS has ZERO
effect at idle and while the amp is in class A. One could have DBS
fitted, but considerable difference in Iadc at idle. In my 300W amps,
I initially tried having just 2 bjts for DBS to shunt the combined
effect of 6 x 6550 on each side of the PP circuit.

But more recently I thought it better to give each tubes its own TO220
bjt and R network to shunt the individual Ck. With so many OP tubes,
one wants Ia fairly low in all, so that bias drift upwards won't be
into a Pda danger zone. So I like Pda at idle below 1/2 max allowed
Pda. Then if some tubes have Pda high and low even with RC biasing,
usually their distribution won't cause significant Idc im-balance, the
sum of Ia on each side will more or less balance. I found this even
with only 6 OP tubes.

I've also found that with GOSS cores with high max µ when lams are
fully interleaved, there is tendency for core saturation to occur all
too easily with VLF signals and DC imbalances. So a µ = 17,000 like
some GOSS lams is BS, as it is with a toroidal OPT where the lack of a
gap means µ can be 40,000, and Idc balance is critical. The answer to
this bother is to hace max µ no more than about 2,500, quite enough to
always get enough Lp if one follows my OPT design criteria, which most
makers find amusing. To get a µ from 17,000 down to 2,500 means
partial air gapping, and E&I are not interleaved maximally. Then Idc
imbalance causes much less bothers, and the OPT remains an unsaturated
inductance dow to a lower F at high signal levels, which is what
everyone wants, or should be aware that they want. Having a non-
oriented Si steel in the core is not so bad if you have huge enough
cores, as µ rarely is above 3,500 max.

Personally, I think balance is more important but don't think 'bias
stabilization' is necessary for Class AB (as long as there's enough
Class A), so I normally do cathode bias (most commonly with my current
mirror balance).

Class AB2 is another matter and that's what his ABC was designed for.
Note that grid currents are of no consequence because they occur at
the Ia peaks and he's detecting the (sum of both tubes) minimum.

Why is "class AB2 another matter" ?

Well, one might set up a pair of 6L6 to make a pure 12 watts in class
A TRIODE with the RLa-a which allows this. Maybe 10k0. Then if RLa-a
is halved, maybe you get 20W class AB1, 5k0. But if you fit two CF
driver triodes you might get 33Watts in AB2, about the same as beam
tetrode mode for the same tubes. Cathode waves and currents will be
similar. The average Vdc at a common Rk just goes higher the more you
push the tubes with a low RLa-a.

For balance with just two OP tubes I prefer to use a pair of LED and
an adjust pot to indicate bias balance. Owners can see their amp is OK
from across the room, and can just twiddle a slot in a trim-pot at the
amp front with a thumb nail gain bias balance. If they can't swing the
pot far enough to get balance, one of the two tubes is stuffed. See my
5050 circuit for details - goes back to 1998, when I had made only
about 4 amps up to that time, but had repaired so many with biasing
troubles. The penny has been dropped a long while.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Pogossov Alex Pogossov is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

The only way to fix the auto cathode bias and keep it fixed during
class AB is to shunt excessive load currents as they occur to prevent
Vdc rise at cathodes. See my circuits for Dynamic Bias Stabilisation
at http://www.turneraudio.com.au/300w-5...tabilizer.html

This wasn't really possible in 1947, but had it been, some bright
******* would have invented it and tried to sell amps because they had
it and others didn't.

I need to admit, Brook's circuit is much smarter and elegant than yours. The
"trough-detector" is really a smart idea, as opposed to your peak clipper..

Your circuit is bad as it introduces "transistor" distortion. At low signal,
in your circuit, when the cathode current does not exceed 65mA and the
transistors are off, the tube transconductance is effectively degenerated by
your 10R current sensing resistors.

With high-gm tubes as EL34, this degeneration is about 8%. Now, when the
cathode current exceeds 65mA and the NPNs start conducting, voltage across
10R resistors stops to raise further -- 10R differential resistance becomes
close to zero, thus degeneration ceases, and the tube(s) start to work as if
with purely grounded (AC-wise) cathodes -- with full, not degenerated
transconductance.

In other words, as the current rises, you additionally increase tube
transconductance by 8% on top of its natural rise caused by the law of 1.5.

The WORST thing is that the transistors cut in very sharply, making this 8%
transconductance modulation distortion harsh, in a "transistor-like"
fashion. It is like a kink on the Vg-Ia plot. You introduce high-order
distortion killing pretty much the only (debatable) advantage of tube
amps -- low order distortion.

Regards,
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

athttp://www.turneraudio.com.au/300w-5-bias-stabilizer.html

This wasn't really possible in 1947, but had it been, some bright
******* would have invented it and tried to sell amps because they had
it and others didn't.

I need to admit, Brook's circuit is much smarter and elegant than yours. The
"trough-detector" is really a smart idea, as opposed to your peak clipper...

The Brook circuit is NOT a "trough detector". The circuit detects and
amplifies the change in Average Vdc across the current sensing 15r,
and as this increases during class AB action, neg bias to 2A3s is
increased and the Ia feed to 2A3 is reduced, forcing the 2A3 to work
more like a class B amp.
But while in class A or at idle, Vdc at 15r stays fairly constant, and
thus Idc to the pair of 2A3s is held constant, and any other suitable
tubes such as 300B may also be used. If one didn't like the increase
in neg bias with heavy class AB PO, then the voltage rise at 15r could
be limited to say +1.8V by having say 3 x series IN4004 across the
15r.

Your circuit is bad as it introduces "transistor" distortion. At low signal,
in your circuit, when the cathode current does not exceed 65mA and the
transistors are off, the tube transconductance is effectively degenerated by
your 10R current sensing resistors.

You have not tried my circuit, nor measured it, and you have no clue
what your'e talking about. The transistors only begin to conduct Ia
when the amp moves into class AB from class A.

The transistors are completely unoperative during class A operation,
thus don't cause any additional THD to that naturally generated.

The amount of distortion generated by the transistors at highest
levels into the lowest RLa-a at say 300+ watts is MUCH LESS than what
is generated by the circuit without the bjt "current shunters", and NO
MORE or spectrally worse than pure fixed bias and the DBS acts to
enable a PP cathode biased amp to perform just like a fixed bias amp.
So before you tell me my circuit generates a pile of ****ful
distortions, please aquaint yourself with the facts. Did ya think I
was born yesterday? Did ya think I would not have tested the DBS
exhaustively before giving the idea to the world? And for Free.

With high-gm tubes as EL34, this degeneration is about 8%. Now, when the
cathode current exceeds 65mA and the NPNs start conducting, voltage across
10R resistors stops to raise further -- 10R differential resistance becomes
close to zero, thus degeneration ceases, and the tube(s) start to work as if
with purely grounded (AC-wise) cathodes -- with full, not degenerated
transconductance.

The signal across the 10r Ia sensors is clipped by the Ia active
shunting of what is otherwise going to charge up the large value Cks.
There is virtually no effect to increase THD.

Bull****.

The WORST thing is that the transistors cut in very sharply, making this 8%
transconductance modulation distortion harsh, in a "transistor-like"
fashion. It is like a kink on the Vg-Ia plot. You introduce high-order
distortion killing pretty much the only (debatable) advantage of tube
amps -- low order distortion.

You cannot understand something very simple. The bjts merely shunt the
excessive Ia as it tries to charge up the Cks, and thus Ek is held
low. There is virtually no interfering signal across Ck injected into
the signal path. The action of the bjts is buffered by the collector R
and the turn on behaviour of the bjts complements the savage turn-on
and turn-off behaviour of the tubes. When you consider just how
frightfully the Ia change in class AB tub operation is, with say 40%
THD in Ia, the presence of the bjts contributes virtually nothing
extra. So, my circuit measures just as well as a fixed bias class AB
amp, so you need to try the circuit out before telling me as you so
often have that what I do is "bad". Despite the 40% THD in tube
currents in class AB amps, the result gives very much lower THD after
the summing of the currents in the PP circuit, and without any FB at
all anywhere, typical high PO AB1 with fixed bias UL gives 3% THD at
Vo. Lots of harmonics are produced by the switching action of the
tubes, and I could not identify any significant additional harmonics
attributable to the DBS. With cathode biasing without DBS, maybe its
10% at the same PO, because Ek has doubled with a continuous sine wave
test signal. But with DBS, and 20% local CFB, the THD is a heck of a
lot lower.

The BJTs in all my amp circuits act as compliant slaves to tubes -
willing servants who allow the tubes to get on better with their
purpose in life and without interference. The tubes run the ship and
manage the needs of the passengers, the transistors clean the toilets
and shovel the coal.

Have you got a better idea?

I've seen so many BS claims made about bias servo circuits.

Very few work properly.

Patrick Turner.

Regards,
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 18, 1:56*am, flipper wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:43:59 +1100, "Alex Pogossov"

wrote:

[...]

I see your point but think there's a detail missing. Degeneration
changes from 10 ohm not to 0 but 47 ohm (through the transistor). The
essence of your point remains, just maybe not in the same polarity.

I'm not so sure the transistor turn on is quite as 'sharp' as you
imply, though. The Vbe curve seems 'small' by comparison to the tube,
for sure, but the voltage across the 10 ohm is rather small as well.

The BJT turn on behaviour is no worse than a tube's.

Hard to tell exactly what it would look like by just peering at the
circuit because there's negative feedback there. I.E. As the
transistor turns on and sinks current the sense resistor voltage
increase is less than 'normal' because part of the current that would
otherwise flow through it is diverted to the 47 Ohm bypass.

In class AB, What is seen across the Ck is LESS sawtooth charging
signal, as the peak current is shunted.
What is seen across the 10 ohms is a square wave instead of rectifier
type waves with massive % THD.

It's also worth noting there is already a gain change as the plate
load drops when the other tube goes into cutoff and is no longer
driving it's half of the primary

This is normal behaviour in all class AB circuits. Tetrodes and
pentodes in AB have the sharpest switching and generate the worst 3H,
5H and 7H as a result when RLa changes from 1/2 RLa-a in class A to
1/4 RLa in class B above the class A working. UL has less sharp cut
off behvaiour, and Triode the least sharp. With 20% CFB, the tubes are
also working like 20% UL with FB, so THD is much less than plain pure
tetrode or pentode. The DBS does not make things any worse, and in
fact it stops all bias "lurching about" from transients reaching above
the class A -AB threshold.

The more closely you examine class AB operation, the worse it looks,
but in fact there are many excellent sounding class AB amps around,
and the use of DBS does not one bit of harm to the sound at all.

DBS allows me to have 12 output tubes with simple cathode bias, and
avoid having 12 adjust pots for fixed bias. I don't like high bias
currents. 35mA is plenty with 6550 etc. The CFB allows Eg2 lower than
Ea and so Ek is lower than if Eg2 = Ea. So Rk need not be low value
and get hot. And yet I find that Rk may be 1/2 what might be used and
still there is adequate reg of bias, and an additional truly fixed neg
bias may be applied.

I have adequate protection measures against any bias failure of one or
more OP tubes. Of course it isn't perfect, because when the amp shuts
down after one tube spits the dummy, nobody knows which one it is.
I've not had any orders for 300W amps for 5 years, and the pair I have
are still a work in progress, and I may indeed include a circuit which
tells me which tube of the 12 has spat its dummy. It means yet another
little circuit board and 12 LEDs and SCRs to control each one so that
when amp shut down occurs because a faulty tube conducting too much
Ia, an LED lights up for that tube and that one only. It then allows
an owner to pull that tube out, plug a new one in, and the amp should
then work fine without a tech being needed, or sending amps to be
serviced, which is a huge expense when the amps weigh 100Kg in 4
chassis.

I like user friendly tube amps which don't cost much to keep on the
road. Many other brands like ARC and Manley Labs and most Chinese
mades are all ****ing attrocious in regard to active protection and
biasing methods.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

There is no "Vdc" in Class AB. It's a friggin 'rectified AC waveform',
as you once described it.

Unfortunately, you cannot recognise where there is a Vdc present as
you are blinded by the Vac shown at the top of the 15 ohms.

"The Vac shown at the top of the 15 ohm" is not a "Vdc." That's why
you were forced to call it Vac in your babble.

The voltage across the 15 ohms is **always** above 0V. It **cannot go
negative**, OK,

Yes, 'ok', and you can calculate an average but the waveform is not
'DC'.

There is a Vdc component of the signal across the 15r.

You fail to understand this simple concept.

The DC amp following the 15r reacts as though there is a change in Vdc
across the 15r.

and the voltage across the 15 ohms pilot sensing
resistance is caused by both the AC current constituent and the DC
current constituent.

A convenient mathematical construct which does not alter the fact the
waveform is a waveform and is not a DC signal.

I'm not going to let you call me a parrot if I repeat myself. You
either get it, or you don't, and if you don't, then fine, I'll let you
stay with what I think you don't get.

When the amp works in class AB with a low load to
allow 30W, the positive going Vac peaks at 15 ohms are several times
the Vdc found at idle with no signal.

Yep.

Conveniently, the minimums of the waveform are 2x idle so if we detect
those we can capture and hold the same value as would be there when at
idle (when it actually is DC).

"If" is just a word. To properly detect the troughs in the waves at
15r, one needs to have a diode cathode connected to 15r, with its
anode to a cap and an R taken up to a + rail. The Vdc across the C to
0V will be equal to diode voltage drop plus the bias Idc x 15r. Vdc
across C to 0V is a positive Vdc, and is then governed by the bias and
negative going peaks of any Vac at 15r. So such a recovered voltage
could be used to work a a Vdc amp to adjust bias. The best rectifier
diode to use would be a silicon one with very low but very predictable
and small Vdc forward voltage drop.

The Walsh patent is entirely bamboozling, and probably meant to be
that way. Many possible test results are completely missing. Pity help
anyone who made something similar but didn't realise they were copying
it. But never mind that, just a side issue about USA business
practices, often very tricky when it comes to patents. Look how long
Deforest and Armstrong argued in the ****ing courts.

I still don't think you understand this Brook circuit you are trying
to discuss, and only by building it and testing is will you get it,
IMHO.

I've read the rest of your reply, but see no point in continuing to
argue.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

[...]

The 47R resistors in the collectors do not do anything because the
transistors are not going into saturation. I do not know why these 47R
resistirs are there.

But I overlooked 1K resistors in series with the bases. These indeed soften
the transistor opening. Assuming typical beta=100, these 1Ks translate into
virtual 10R in series with the emitters. That means that from 10R
degeneration under 65mA it goes to about 5R degeneration above 65mA. Only 4%
net transconduction variation.

Yet it is crazy to mix distortion current, created by the exponential curve
of the transistor, into the cathodes of the "smooth" tubes.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

The 47R resistors in the collectors do not do anything because the
transistors are not going into saturation. I do not know why these 47R
resistirs are there.

Transistors need to be protected from themselves and unless collector
resistors are added to my circuit,
along with series base resistors, they can run away with enthusiasm
and short circuit themselves to death in less time you can say
beejaytee. Too be SURE the collector current is never more than Ek /
47 ohms, the 47 ohms are used. Its not a critical value.

But I overlooked 1K resistors in series with the bases. These indeed soften
the transistor opening.

Yes, indeed.....The angel or the devil is always in the detail.....

Assuming typical beta=100, these 1Ks translate into
virtual 10R in series with the emitters.

What makes you think beta = 100? most power transistors might be less.
But it ain't critical, because the local NFB around the bjt circuit
means that while ever Ik peak remains high enough to turn on the bjts,
they conduct, and they cease conduction when they don't have to.....,
or more if they do have to, until the job is done.

That means that from 10R
degeneration under 65mA it goes to about 5R degeneration above 65mA. Only 4%
net transconduction variation.

Yet it is crazy to mix distortion current, created by the exponential curve
of the transistor, into the cathodes of *the "smooth" tubes.-

Nah, you are always seeing craziness in other blokes' attitudes when
in fact they might be a whole lot more sensible than you are. The tube
**current** in AB amps has HUGE THD, but the bjts hardly make any
difference whatsoever. I suggest you spend 30 minutes converting an
amp you have laying around so that it works like mine, you'll be very
happy, and wonder why you were so negative.

I've used DBS in a recently re-engineered pair of Quad-II amps and I'm
getting 32 Watts of very clean power with a continuous sine wave and
THD is far less than without DBS. The owner finds his Quads beat the
pants off all the other amps he's got.

The only critical part of the circuit is the current sensing R value,
and what ya want is Ek to stay level. If Rsensor is too large, Ek
reduces as PO is raised above 0V and this indicates bjts are turning
on too early, and if Rsensor is too small, Ek rises too much and isn't
reduced enough at clipping with low RLa-a.
When its just right, Ek stays level for all class A, then rises no
more than 10% at clipping with a low RLa-a.

I am presently completely re-wiring a pair of Quad-II-Forty because
dear old Andy Grove and the Chinese wannabe amp makers didn't quite
get things right. If one connects 4 ohms across the highest output
labelled for 8 ohms, and runs the amps to clipping with a continuous
sine wave, Ek moves from +40Vdc to +58Vdc with Rk at 470 ohms, a more
sensible value than the original 390 ohms. This could nearly all be
stopped with dBS, but this time there isn't any real need. The Quad-
II-40 have 4 ohm outlets, and use of 4 ohms gives 37Watts and music at
average values of 4 watts won't cause Ek to move very much. Original
Quad-II don't have a proper 4 ohm strapping, although the original
OPTs **can be removed from pots** and secs re-strapped to give the
extra terminal setting so that RLa-a = 4k0 when 4 ohms is used, not
****ing 2k0 when ppl connect 4 ohms to the Quad-II when strapped for 8
ohms, as many ppl do.

And while we are on the subject of Brook 10C, Our Dear Flipper
maintains that there is no Vdc change across the 15r common Rk for a
pair of 2A3, when they have to power a low RLa-a to make 30W with a
continuous sine wave.
But when I tested the second of the 2 Quad-II 40 amps I've been
reforming, I found that I get about 0.16Vdc across the winding
resistance of the 1/2 cathode feeback winding at idle. With class AB
and a low RLa-a, I found Vdc aross the windings to rise to 0.221Vdc
quite easily. The change in Vdc = 0.6Vdc approx, and if applied to am
inverting VDC amp with gain of 200 x like a cascaded 6SN7, a la Brook,
then the change in bias could be -120Vdc. Flipper says no such thing
could occur, and I say it could, but hey, I'll go my way, he can go
his, in peace, and The Whirled can decide who is correct.

I'm not here to win arguments, I'm here to explain what I do and
invite others to try, but they sure don't have to. Maybe they have
better ways of doing stuff. I can't know everything.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 19, 2:48*pm, flipper wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 22:01:43 +1100, "Alex Pogossov"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I missed the saturation point.

But I overlooked 1K resistors in series with the bases. These indeed soften
the transistor opening. Assuming typical beta=100, these 1Ks translate into
virtual 10R in series with the emitters. That means that from 10R
degeneration under 65mA it goes to about 5R degeneration above 65mA. Only 4%
net transconduction variation.

Sounds about right.

Yet it is crazy to mix distortion current, created by the exponential curve
of the transistor, into the cathodes of *the "smooth" tubes.

Well, I would imagine the logic is it's better than going into Class C
but I think that is better dealt with by taking advantage of nominal
program level being significantly lower than peak and designing in
sufficient Class A.

Amps with DBS can still be pushed well into class C. All the DBS does
is stop the Ek rising during class AB1 as it does, well before grid
current begins to flow to charge up the coupling caps. I don't bother
building class AB2 amps; I see no reason, and if ppl want higher PO
than 2 tubes provide in AB1, I humbly fukkin suggest they use more OP
tubes, and desist from whipping the 2 horses to make them pull ever
heavier loads. The DBS makes the amp act like a fixed bias amp, and in
a hi-fi situation, its doubtful more PO is wanted than AB1 can provide
because AB1 RLa-a is fairly high, and usually higher than RLa-a for a
PA amp where high PO is needed to wow ppl in a rock'n'roll venue.

Patrick Turner.

That. btw, was part of the transistor amp 'spec wars' back in the day
since, with the traditional complimentary pair, they could claim 'RMS'
power to the rails but a typical Class AB (cathode bias) tube amp
can't. The transistor amp 'specs' better but it's of little
consequence in practice.

Then the Japanese invented "PPMO" and lord only knows how that's
calculated. Something like how much power the supply caps can deliver
over 1mS, or some such nonsense.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[...]

Alex:
I just see illogical to add transistor distortion to valve amps. If you used
say 1R current sensing resistors instead of 10R and x10 op-amp gain stage
before the base of the shunting transistor, I would consider it a "better"
solution.

Have you done the following experiment. While your amp is idling or playing,
intermittently short one of your 10R sensing resistors to ground. Will you
hear some crackling, even soft, not loud? If yes, then it is the amount of
"transistor-like" distortion which your circuit mixes in. (You can argue
that inherent THD is much greater, and/or masked by the loud musical
material, etc., but then why build tube amps at all?) Or perhaps you will
not hear any crackling from that experiment -- maybe your NFB absorbs it.
Then -- congratulations -- you "won" the argument.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Yellow Pinky Yellow Pinky is offline

wrote:

Bose has a "Lifestyle System". But tiny crummy 2"
drivers in matchbox speakers are on ceiling with bass speaker in
corner, and kitchen remote. Shiealas fall for such crap, but not me.

I remember selling the 901's in hi-fi stores, all 8 4.sumthing" spkrs
that sound "..best.." if placed into a corner. I sold alot of them
got a good spiff off it. Sound sucxd. Then Bose packaged the
whole thing AGAIN (with a rack mount 'eq' box) for P.A. work.

They sold a **** load of them, that sort of did the job. They made
a great rack mount power amp (1800?) at the time. Remember,
the Bose 'mountain' is a mountain of piled garbage the city almost
gave to Bose to build the 1st buildings. Sort of fits, huh?

Although, I have to say the new'ish Bose poles do the job in
the right room, for a small 3p band. A friend did promo for
Bose over the guitar version..ok for acoustic..nothing more.

B&O make a range of truly horrid products. I've had to work on their
POSs. Quad amps could have been better. I have bullet holes still
healing up after the last time I said that here.

In the MI world, Sound City, Vox, and 80% of the other Icon amp
companies also made pure bull**** crap. Hiwatt has made '****'.

Wanna talk Marshall blunders.. WOAH.. 2 shy 2 spy.. (pun)

Really. But yeah, ya always get some one who has to defend
their fave rave name. Also, sometimes the fact that they are
(in this case) 'UK' designed/built makes some of them neat..

SS Thomas Organ Vox is great for what it is. ALL product
could of been better. I happen to like Quad. :

... But ESL57 were
exceptionally good, and I'd hazard a guess the Brook 10C with 300B
would be good to drive ESL57 - if you can ever find a pair that work
properly after 40 years and which won't cook an amp as I have seen
them do when arcing occurs in old panels.

"..If I ruled the world..everyday would be the 1st day of spring.."

JJTj

"..As I leaned over to correct her spelling of the
words: "..Boogie-Woogie..", I realized I loved her.."

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Yellow Pinky Yellow Pinky is offline

Shiealas fall for such crap, but not me.

The Bose 'eq' system made the buyer desire the spkr. The
"..high tech.." of the spkr sold it to the snobs that could, and
were, sold anything some other idiot told them was neat & swifty.

Here in MA, the Havard Sq area was all around tons of students
who wanted to believe anything they were told. The desire for
Hi-Fi was deafening. Tech Hi-Fi, Atlantis Sound (where I worked)
and other stores were everywhere. One was a McIntosh *ONLY*
store that lasted a long long time. But anyway..dig this:

At the Atlantis Sound store I was at, we had a box on the push
button spkr selector that was a 'suck' control. ANY spkr for sale
could be made to sound worse then the one 'ON' sale. And we had
a 'shooter' that could sound better then ANYTHING even with the
'suck' control on. $800 a pair, Pioneer 4 way 'studio' thing with
weird LP guts, foam woofer & more. Wish I had a pair.

We once offered a 24 hr special. Bring in anything and we will
give 200% of the price off the '..list.." price of your system. We
had people bring in beer, pizza, weed, guitars, and more, and
sold a ****load of Hi-Fi for MORE $ because the list prices were
so high, and kept all the beer, etc, and gave the pizza to charity.

We also sold Crown reel 2 reel. Some weird brands, and we were
paid well. AH, the Atlantis stories.. Only one regret...

I still have a B&Blue mark on my ass from this. As employee, I was
allowed to use anything that was in inventory at home. SHEI-T,
I had (by then numbers) $14k of gear at home. When the Worc
store closed, I was one of only 2 who returned the stuff. 2 Days
later, I learn there was never a paper trail, no one cared, Duh?

-----

Anyone else remember the phono cartridge boogie? Atlantis had major
$$ involved in ADC. They sold it by the buckets. If we could get the
rube to 'upgrade' to a diff color needle, we got 40-70% more spiff.

All the needles were the same, just diff color holders..

Bose spiffe'd me $10 every 901 sold. CVega $1-5. Other then
that, the Wiz paid me. Ken, da Wiz, would show up every now
and then, and play price god. We'd have a rube with cash in hand
about to hand US said cash, all happy, and Ken would tap the rube
with his wand (he carried it,wore bent hat, cloak, etc) and 'poof',
lowered the price $100. And it came out of MY spiff..not his.

...yup..bored, online, and Bose Bashing...

JJTj

You know those Kix just keep getting harder to find..
....and Frosted Flakes ain't giving you peace of mind..
You better chow down more Bran cakes, now..
...and get yer ass straight...
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 21, 2:53*pm, flipper wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 01:02:54 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:

snip

And while we are on the subject of Brook 10C, Our Dear Flipper
maintains that there is no Vdc change across the 15r common Rk for a
pair of 2A3, when they have to power a low RLa-a to make 30W with a
continuous sine wave.

I never said any such thing.

Not exactly, but indirectly, because you seem to be insisting that a
change in Vdc at the DC amp output remains unchanged because of that
stuff about time constants, and trough detection going on, and the Vac
across the 15r,

But my knowledge tells me that where you measure a Vdc rise in 15r
regardless of the Vac there, that Vdc rise will have dramatic effects
on the bias applied to 2A3 when it is amplified about 200 times. I
could be wrong though, and I'll just have to build & measure something
myself. Until then, you'll just have to tolerate me having an opposite
opinion, and I'm sure your world won't fall to bits as a result.

In fact YOU do because you claim the DC amp will change bias to KEEP
Ek 'Vdc' constant, and never mind that the inventor explicitly says
bias does NOT change because you've arbitrarily pulled from thin air
they're all 'lying'.

I thought I quoted where Walsh he says the negative bias does increase
and a state of equilibrium was reached. Maybe you missed that in the
patent. Anyway, I tire quickly of arguments these days.

If you'd ever read the patent trying to see how it's intended to work
rather than looking for snippets to 'support' your preconceived
notions you'd see he specifies how the 'detector' tube should be
biased, namely the Rk and plate loading should be selected so that, at
idle, plate voltage rests at mu times Ek.

Unfortunately my tube models are not accurate at very low plate
voltages (something I've run into before) but adjusting things to meet
his criteria I have successfully modeled the 6SN7 'detector' so that
it holds plate voltage within .4V of 80mA idle with peak currents
through Rk corresponding to what you call 'Vdc' equivalent to a 190mA
average. If, however, I put a 190mA idle, creating an *actual DC*
"Vdc" of 2.87V (vs the 1.2V 80mA idle) plate shifts 8.8V, which is
close to 20 times the shift when it's 'AC'.

I don't use modelling. It proves nothing to me; ya gotta build
something and measure it.

I also managed to model it using a 6DJ8.

In short, it works if you properly bias the tube

Well, something might work, do something or other, not 100% sure what,
and is see very little difference between the Brook 10C bias amp and
using a cap across the 15r, so that if all the Vdc change is nearly
captured at that point, then you have a Vdc amp to sample what Vdc you
want, so that 2A3 bias can be much increased to reduce the Idc input
during heavy class AB working. I'm saying that reducing Idc to the OPT
CT by biasing grids more negative puts the tubes into class B
conditions and there's a huge THD rise.

One might only need 1 x MJE 350 with Re to give the same gain as the
cascaded 6SN7, and the wanted and the wanted Vdc inversion to make
bias more negative for OP tubes.

But I won't be employing any such circuit any time soon. Nobody else
seems to want to use the Brook idea either.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

I still don't think you understand this Brook circuit you are trying
to discuss, and only by building it and testing is will you get it,
IMHO.

So build one so you can understand it.

I've read the rest of your reply, but see no point in continuing to
argue.

Wise choice since I have a filed and approved patent plus a
manufactured and sold device based on the same principle to back up my
position.

That you take the word of somebody or anybody who patented an ampifier
gimick shows you lack the ability to have doubts, and to ever think
that you could ever be wrong. All things claimed by a train full of
people still need validation on your workbench. Words in patents and
your modelling are NOT reality.
Many ppl can be wrong about an idea, even though it seems so right.
When Challenger fell from the sky, had not a huge certainty been
established about the integrity of the Shuttle? But the fukkin thing
still went wrong, and engineers had to re-assess.

So when you jump up an down in triumph because you have concluded I'm
wrong, the world will just think your'e a dumb jerk.

You have to work a lot harder at proving you are right. I've got so
much paid work I don't have time to build Brook's idea, so I don't
much care if I lose this argument.

I don't like Brook's idea. Having a cascaded 6SN7 to control bias
could lead to smoke; if the tube ever fails, or the negative supply
fails, watch out. I can't think of very many ppl who have included Vdc
amps in their tube amp schematics; most bean counters always said no
anyway.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

[...]

Actually Patrick, you are wrong. They were the best amplifiers of
their day, their appearance aside.

A great deal of care was taken in the winding of their transformers.
They were wildly bettter than anything else in their day for low
insertion loss and perfect AC and DC symmetry, and were capable of
distortion performance unmatched until the latest generation of tube
amps, and with much less feedback.

The driver circuitry is well worth studying on all Brook amps.

Brook failed for several reasons, but one was the pedestrian
appearance of their sets, as opposed to the chrome and black of
McIntosh and the Marantz brown. Another was their low power output as
compared to the competition.

It's worth noting, that until the very late 1950s or early 60s, no
commercial manufacturer COULD use WE 300x (A,B are actually identical
except for a pin on the base which no one ever used!) tubes for
consumer sale. The WE tubes were not LICENSED for that use.

There was a huge pool of patents the tube manufacturers shared. WE
was part of that pool and the agreement was that the others were
licensed for consumer use and not for telecom and WE were licensed
vice versa. As far as retail sales of the tubes were concerned it made
no difference, but a manufacturer who bought WE tubes and put them in
a consumer radio or product would have been a license violator. Brook,
if memory serves, got 'round this by making an amp that could use
either 2A3 or 300B tubes with a little rewiring. It came with 2A3s and
could be easily retrofitted.

There were many homebrews-all push pull, however-with 300B tubes in
the late forties and early fifties. The real triode crazies preferred
other tubes, even before the mentally disturbed Bob Fulton came on the
scene.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

Another thing, only a small percentage of Brooks sold used the
sliding bias circuit.

Most preferred those without it.

Lincoln Walsh did a stupendous manufacturing job, going through a lot
of winding experiments with those ordinary LOOKING transformers. Even
Peerless-the real Peerless-couldn't match them. But they did look
pretty plain, because they were assumed to be going in a cabinet of
some type in those days.

Yes, I have heard the Brook amplifiers, and yes, they really are all
that and a bag of chips, within their designed operating range.

Brook went tits up because of low sales, because of plebian
appearance and lack of specsmanship, and also because Lincoln Walsh
was apparently quite troubled, although I don't know in what manner.
He was an old man when he did the Brook amps, and eventually went on
to invent the Ohm speaker driver, dying before the first one was sold.
He was really a PIONEER of hi-fi, building serious amps and speakers
before WWII.

If someone were able to duplicate the transformers, particularly the
driver chokes (the ALtec 1570B uses an extension of this idea) it
would be a fine DIY project.
I suspect the thing that phagott Kevin Deal-he sounds queerer on the
phone than Magnequeef Mike-is selling as the "Adaptive Auto Bias" is
more or less a solid state update of the Brook idea.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"flipper" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 01:02:54 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner
wrote:

snip
Unfortunately my tube models are not accurate at very low plate
voltages (something I've run into before) but adjusting things to meet
his criteria I have successfully modeled the 6SN7 'detector' so that
it holds plate voltage within .4V of 80mA idle with peak currents
through Rk corresponding to what you call 'Vdc' equivalent to a 190mA
average. If, however, I put a 190mA idle, creating an *actual DC*
"Vdc" of 2.87V (vs the 1.2V 80mA idle) plate shifts 8.8V, which is
close to 20 times the shift when it's 'AC'.

I also managed to model it using a 6DJ8.

In short, it works if you properly bias the tube

Correct!

The 6SN7 trough detector is not just a common grid amplifier stage as
Partick is trying (in vain) to convince us. It is a detector close to
cutoff. For example, if the quiescent current through 15R is meant to be
80mA, then the cathode of 6SN7 would be at Vk=+1.2V. To keep the trough
detector close to cut-off, its plate voltage should be about Vk * mu. For
6SN7 mu=20, so plate voltage should be around 24V or even less (given
thermal emission potential and the fact that mu is smaller at low currents).
Plate current would be small, probably 50...150uA.

High gm sharp cut-off tubes like 6DJ8 will make a better trough detector,
but a transistor would be even better. Could be a n-JFET -- just select a
specimen (e.g., BFT46) with 1.2V cutoff voltage (or adjust 15R).

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 21, 6:28*pm, flipper wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:36:47 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:
On Oct 21, 2:53*pm, flipper wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 01:02:54 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:

snip

And while we are on the subject of Brook 10C, Our Dear Flipper
maintains that there is no Vdc change across the 15r common Rk for a
pair of 2A3, when they have to power a low RLa-a to make 30W with a
continuous sine wave.

I never said any such thing.

Not exactly, but indirectly, because you seem to be insisting that a
change in Vdc at the DC amp output remains unchanged because of that
stuff about time constants, and trough detection going on, and the Vac
across the 15r,

You wrongly insisting that if plate voltage is constant then Ek 'must
be constant' is YOUR 'conclusion' and it's disingenuous to then claim
*I* said it.

But my knowledge tells me

Your knowledge doesn't include constructing a Walsh Automatic Bias
Control.

Nor does your knowledge.

You have not built the Brook 10C bias control circuit, so you don't
know what you are talking about.
So there is no need for me to reply to you.

You are a really dumb stupid **** for thinking you are right when you
do not have any evidence to support your opinion, except your
interpretation of the Walsh patent.

If you are to have any credibility, you MUST BUILD AND MEASURE THE
Brook 10C, although it can be any existing PP amp with fixed bias; you
don't need to have 2A3, trioded 6L6 will do. When you have posted
several pages on the subject, and done the work, only then can anyone
with a brain suspect you might really know what ya talkin about.

To achieve credidility you have to adhere to basic scientic methods.

So stop prattling on like a stupid child about what ya dunno about.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Dear readers of r.a.t, below we have the MOST PREVALENT EXAMPLE OF A
STUPID IDIOT, i.e, one Mr Flipper, who dare not use his real name, and
he thinks he so right about something he has not constructed or
observed, tested, and graphed, and he insists that every word in a
patent is the whole truth and nothing but the truth, rather like
someone who believes in the absolute truth of the Bible.

Its pointless to discuss anything with Flipper because he just cannot
accept that his **** stinks. I know mine does, He always thinks he's
right, and that his opinion is the only one worth considering, but
this makes him an ARROGANT ****, someone to always despise, and
someone to always mistrust.

No need for me to reply to the crap below, because Flipper continues
to give ZERO information based on facts to support his opinions about
the Brook 10C amp.

Patrick Turner.

On Oct 21, 6:51*pm, flipper wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:54:00 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:
I still don't think you understand this Brook circuit you are trying
to discuss, and only by building it and testing is will you get it,
IMHO.

So build one so you can understand it.

I've read the rest of your reply, but see no point in continuing to
argue.

Wise choice since I have a filed and approved patent plus a
manufactured and sold device based on the same principle to back up my
position.

That you take the word of somebody or anybody who patented an ampifier
gimick shows you lack the ability to have doubts, and to ever think
that you could ever be wrong.

Utter nonsense. As proof one has only to see how I 'doubt' you.

I do not, however, just presume everyone else are liars, as you've
done with the Walsh patent.

It's a hell of a lot closer than you simply ****ing about it.

Many ppl can be wrong about an idea, even though it seems so right.
When Challenger fell from the sky, had not a huge certainty been
established about the integrity of the Shuttle? But the fukkin thing
still went wrong, and engineers had to re-assess.

Irrelevant babble.

So when you jump up an down in triumph because you have concluded I'm
wrong, the world will just think your'e a dumb jerk.

I conclude you can't, or won't, read because I see what you quote and
how you 'interpret' plain English to say something other than what it
plainly says.

And then, given the choice between a patent and a manufactured product
vs your 'opinion', I concluded you're wrong because you refuse to even
properly read how the circuit is intended to work.

And I'd come to the exact same conclusion with an auto mechanic who
couldn't grasp a fuel injection patent because the odds of him being
'right' about whether it works or not, when he can't even get the
description down right, would be nothing but a wild stroke of luck.

You have to work a lot harder at proving you are right. I've got so
much paid work I don't have time to build Brook's idea, so I don't
much care if I lose this argument.

I don't like Brook's idea.

"Not invented here" syndrome.

Having a cascaded 6SN7 to control bias
could lead to smoke; if the tube ever fails, or the negative supply
fails, watch out.

Failure modes are an entirely different matter but you have a point
with failure of the second DC amp.

As for failure of the negative rail, any fixed bias amp will go insane
if grid bias is lost;

I can't think of very many ppl who have included Vdc
amps in their tube amp schematics; most bean counters always said no
anyway.

Your favorite mythical boogie man, the 'bean counter'. You've never
met one and never designed anything in a company environment but, by
golly, that doesn't stop your fantasies.

Patrick Turner.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Edward Morris Edward Morris is offline

You're quite the pratter yourself, Patrick. You've got a very prominent
problem with the Bible. I read this newsgroup to glean information and your
****ing on the Bible is getting tiresome. It has nothing to do with the
topic at hand or the topic of this newsgroup. Get ****ed with something
else.

Eddie

wrote:
[...]

John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Are you the same Ed Morris that once worked for R&S?

Cheers, John
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Oct 25, 2:46*am, "Edward Morris" wrote:
You're quite the pratter yourself, Patrick. *You've got a very prominent
problem with the Bible. *I read this newsgroup to glean information and your
****ing on the Bible is getting tiresome. *It has nothing to do with the
topic at hand or the topic of this newsgroup. *Get ****ed with something
else.

Eddie

I guess the word pratter must be american slang for arogant **** or
dick head or something else negative, and I don't mind what you call
me, because that won't stop those wanting to know the truth about a
Brook 10C.

Then you've mentioned I have a problem with the Bible, and I'm
assuming you mean the Old Testament, and presumably the New Testament
written many years after Christ's death. There is much wisdom in such
old books which tell us how to get to Heaven, but as someone very
famous said in about 1500, the Bible does not tell us how the heavens
go, and I recall Rome was vastly browned off by this upstart no-good
arsole and the church treated him very poorly. Trouble was, the bloke
was right, and Rome was wrong, about the Earth going around the Sun,
rather than agreeing with Rome's idea the Sun went around the Earth.
Turns out that space is so infinitely large, that anyone's ideas about
who or what God is MUST be all bull****, because infinite info about
infinite sized universes and infinite details can't fit into little
dumb Homo Sapien brains which are only marginally brighter than a
monkey's, from which they evolved rather slowly.
Then there are all these stories about God the Father, God the Son,
and God the Holy Ghost, and the story of the Virgin Mary, who got
pregnant with Christ without anyone sticking a dick up her. Just where
does one begin to make a list of Bull**** Items in the Bible? All too
difficult for me to find the time, and instead I concentrate on being
a useful solderer making connections to favour music, and to serve up
a bitta heaven right here on Earth, and I figure I don't have to be a
God Botherer while I'm serving Humanity, and Hu-womanity, should they
need a fix for a problem, whatever.
Perhaps by "Bible" you mean RDH4, in which case there is nothing about
getting to heaven, but everything about how the heavens go, ie,
stories about the workings of physics in relation to vacuum tubes, and
thingemejigs with L, C and R within. So I don't have too much to
disagree with in RDH4; it leaves out any mention of God, thank
Goodness.

For many people, the Old Testamant is the only one True Book, and
everything which was before or after it is basically bull**** not
worth reading. That's OK, I don't mind, but I'll still remain me, ever
questioning all I see and hear, and open to absorbing good info
wherever I find it, and its years since I studied the Bible, and if I
did, I doubt I'd be a better person, but probably would be a mal-
contented person because such grand old books cannot tell me what I
like to consider in the universe, without myths and fantasies.

So what have you got to say about the Brook 10C?

Last time I posted I was just fed up with ppl NOT supporting their
claims about the bias control circuit in the Brook 10C, but they were
so sure they were correct.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 2, 10:07*pm, Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Mr Morris has replied to me in private with subject matter that is
entirely off the topic of the Brook 10C, ie, he has rambled on and on
and that's OK, but he has not done anything positive to determine
whether or not the Brook 10C bias control is any good or not. I
present his private email here because he should have addressed the
group, not just me.

"""You like to ramble don't you Patrick? You type and type and ramble
about
things you're guessing about. I have nothing to say about the Brook
10C.
You are the one who rambled about the Bible in the Brook 10C thread.
didn't.
Edward Morris""""

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Edward Morris Edward Morris is offline

Mr. Turner you can't be that daft? I could give a flip about the Brook 10C.
I don't own one nor do I care to own one. Try to understand this, ok?? In
a number of messages you send to this group, you put down the Bible, even
thought it has nothing to do with the topic of the message. I believe in
the Bible but you don't see me here message after message with my pro-Bible
stance. You have your biases against the Bible but I don't understand why
you continue to interject your biases in messages that have nothing to do
with the Bible???? Keep you biases to yourself.

Edward Morris