Posted to rec.audio.tubes
The EH Man The EH Man is offline

Default Help identify connector

I need to build a footswitch for this tube guitar amp but I'm
unfamiliar with this plug.
I've included a link to a Photobucket album with a picture of the plug
on another amp and a picture of the socket. If anyone could identify
this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help would be
greatly appreciated!

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"The EH Man"
I need to build a footswitch for this tube guitar amp but I'm
unfamiliar with this plug.
I've included a link to a Photobucket album with a picture of the plug
on another amp and a picture of the socket. If anyone could identify
this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help would be
greatly appreciated!

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

** You totally stupid ??

How is anyone supposed to see the ****ing thing in that TINY pic ???

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"The EH Man"
I need to build a footswitch for this tube guitar amp but I'm
unfamiliar with this plug.
I've included a link to a Photobucket album with a picture of the plug
on another amp and a picture of the socket. If anyone could identify
this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help would be
greatly appreciated!

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

** You totally stupid ??

How is anyone supposed to see the ****ing thing in that TINY pic ???

Simply by clicking on it once to enlarge it to 600x400 pixels.
It's a four pin tube socket.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PeterD PeterD is offline

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:03:28 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"The EH Man"
I need to build a footswitch for this tube guitar amp but I'm
unfamiliar with this plug.
I've included a link to a Photobucket album with a picture of the plug
on another amp and a picture of the socket. If anyone could identify
this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help would be
greatly appreciated!

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

** You totally stupid ??

How is anyone supposed to see the ****ing thing in that TINY pic ???

Click on the picture and it gets bigger, just the thing for those
tired, failing eyes Phil.

To the OP: looks semi-custom, I've seen a lot of these on old tube
gear over the years, but not quite the same mounting.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Iain Churches"

** Get ****hed - kiddle fiddler.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"flipper is a IMBECILE "

"Phil Allison"

"The EH Man ****wit "

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

** You totally stupid ??

How is anyone supposed to see the ****ing thing in that TINY pic ???

That's the thumbnail page. Click on it.

** DUUUUUHHHHHH !!!

Did that about 5 times - nothing happened.

The picture is 800x600. If that's not big enough then right click and
download it, then blow it up with your favorite editor.

** The pic is BLURRY as all ****ing hell.

It shows NOTHING !!!!!

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Iain Churches wrote:
"Phil wrote in message

"The EH Man"
I need to build a footswitch for this tube guitar amp but I'm
unfamiliar with this plug.
I've included a link to a Photobucket album with a picture of the plug
on another amp and a picture of the socket. If anyone could identify
this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help would be
greatly appreciated!

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

** You totally stupid ??

How is anyone supposed to see the ****ing thing in that TINY pic ???

Simply by clicking on it once to enlarge it to 600x400 pixels.
It's a four pin tube socket.

Iain

Looks like a 4 pin Bulgin - they used them a lot on battery portable radios.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 29, 7:48*am, Ian Bell wrote:
Iain Churches wrote:
"Phil *wrote in message

"The EH Man"
I need to build a footswitch for this tube guitar amp but I'm
unfamiliar with this plug.
I've included a link to a Photobucket album with a picture of the plug
on another amp and a picture of the socket. *If anyone could identify
this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help would be
greatly appreciated!

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

** You totally stupid ??

How is anyone supposed to see the ****ing thing in that TINY pic ???

Simply by clicking on it once to enlarge it to 600x400 pixels.
It's a four pin tube socket.

Iain

Looks like a 4 pin Bulgin - they used them a lot on battery portable radios.

Cheers

Ian- Hide quoted text -

The picture from the OP could have been better as Phil mentions, but
unlike Phil, my eyes could see the socket is a 4 pinner, maybe with a
central pin, when the click was given to enlarge the pic.

I think the socket has 4 same dia pins with 2 pins closer together
than the other 2 so the plug only inserts one way. Many audio gear
connections were made using these sorts of connectors, which BTW are
not used for any 4 pin tubes afaik. The "EH man" might seek out
someone with a box full of spare old junk in which there may be found
such a connector. if not, then some other more modern plug/socket
might be used.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Barry[_4_] Barry[_4_] is offline

"The EH Man" wrote in message
I need to build a footswitch for this tube guitar amp but I'm
unfamiliar with this plug.
I've included a link to a Photobucket album with a picture of the plug
on another amp and a picture of the socket. If anyone could identify
this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help would be
greatly appreciated!

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

There are two possibilities here, but I cannot tell from the poor
picture. If the outer ring is threaded, it may be a 4-pin microphone
connector as used in CB radios before DIN connectors became popular. Try
Radio Shack for one of these.

The other possibility is that it is an Amphenol audio connector dating
back to the 1960's. The center hole (really a dimple) should have an
Amphenol logo or such molded in it. Look at the connectors here to see
if these match:
http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_ph...or_collage.jpg
and
http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_ph...ctor_web. jpg

They call these connectors "EVEN RARER THAN HENS' TEETH" but when they
were made, they were very common and inexpensive. You may have to alter
the keyway to get one of these connectors to work.

73, Dr. Barry L. Ornitz

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Barry"

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

There are two possibilities here, but I cannot tell from the poor picture.
If the outer ring is threaded, it may be a 4-pin microphone connector as
used in CB radios before DIN connectors became popular.

** CB mic connectors are made only in line female and panel male versions.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Barry[_4_] Barry[_4_] is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Barry"

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

There are two possibilities here, but I cannot tell from the poor
picture. If the outer ring is threaded, it may be a 4-pin microphone
connector as used in CB radios before DIN connectors became popular.

** CB mic connectors are made only in line female and panel male
versions.

..... Phil

As someone who paid much of his way in graduate school repairing CB
radios, I have seen otherwise. Of course that was over 35 years ago, and
before Phil spouts off again, I had a 1st Phone license with Radar
Endorsement.

Barry

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
The EH Man The EH Man is offline

Sorry about the pic quality of the socket. That was taken by the
owner w/ a cell phone camera and emailed to me. The 2nd pic I found
on the 'net.
I'll see if I can get some more info from him.

On Nov 28, 10:23*pm, flipper wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 01:01:10 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"flipper is a IMBECILE *"

"Phil Allison"

I'm not the one who couldn't get the full size picture.

"The EH Man "

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

** You totally stupid ??

How is anyone supposed to see the ****ing thing in that TINY pic ???

That's the thumbnail page. Click on it.

** DUUUUUHHHHHH !!!

*Did that about 5 times *- *nothing happened.

Worked for me.

Maybe you need a new clicker finger.

The picture is 800x600. If that's not big enough then right click and
download it, then blow it up with your favorite editor.

** *The pic is BLURRY as all ****ing hell.

* * *It shows *NOTHING !!!!!

Maybe you need better eyes too.

.... *Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

Barry wrote:

"The EH Man" wrote in message
[...]

It's an Amphenol mike connector.

Many old Shures used this; you could wire it
using three pins for balanced lo-Z, or two for
unbalanced hi-Z. It's not common to see it
used for a footswitch, though. Dudes who
service vintage mikes usually have a few
lying about.

Lord Valve

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
The EH Man The EH Man is offline

Thanks, LV. I've added a couple more pics from another amp owner.
Quality is out of my hands since I have to settle for what they send
me.
Anyone know where I could buy a couple of those plugs?

On Nov 29, 2:24*pm, Lord Valve wrote:
Barry wrote:
"The EH Man" wrote in message
[...]

* *http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_ph..._Amphenol_91-M...
and
* *http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_ph...Pin_Amphenol_V...

They call these connectors "EVEN RARER THAN HENS' TEETH" but when they
were made, they were very common and inexpensive. *You may have to alter
the keyway to get one of these connectors to work.

* * * * 73, Dr. Barry L. Ornitz * *

It's an Amphenol mike connector.

Many old Shures used this; you could wire it
using three pins for balanced lo-Z, or two for
unbalanced hi-Z. *It's not common to see it
used for a footswitch, though. *Dudes who
service vintage mikes usually have a few
lying about.

Lord Valve

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Barry wrote:
"The EH Man" wrote in message
[...]

Might try this dude:

http://www.kenselectronics.com/

You may be able to take some measurements off
the connector you have and e-mail them to this
outfit; worth a shot, anyway.

LV

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
MarkS MarkS is offline

"The EH Man" wrote in message
Thanks, LV. I've added a couple more pics from another amp owner.
Quality is out of my hands since I have to settle for what they send
me.
Anyone know where I could buy a couple of those plugs?

If you continue to have problems finding some, might want to post on
rec.antiques.radio+phono there are guys there that have stuff like this.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
The EH Man The EH Man is offline

Ken had a similar one listed on the site so I gave him a call and got
the correct part number, which was Amphenol 91MPM4L. He didn't have
any in stock but I did find a supplier with a few.

Thanks for all the help!!

Barry wrote:
"The EH Man" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mick mick is offline

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:24:09 -0700, Lord Valve wrote:

Barry wrote:

"The EH Man" wrote in message

I need to build a footswitch for this tube guitar amp but I'm
unfamiliar with this plug.
I've included a link to a Photobucket album with a picture of the
plug on another amp and a picture of the socket. If anyone could
identify this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help
would be greatly appreciated!

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...hman/medalist/

There are two possibilities here, but I cannot tell from the poor
picture. If the outer ring is threaded, it may be a 4-pin microphone
connector as used in CB radios before DIN connectors became popular.
Try Radio Shack for one of these.

The other possibility is that it is an Amphenol audio connector dating
back to the 1960's. The center hole (really a dimple) should have an
Amphenol logo or such molded in it. Look at the connectors here to see
if these match:
http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/microphones/

EV_Amphenol_91-MC4F_Collared_4-Pin-Female_Microphone_connector_collage.jpg
and
http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/microphones/4-

Pin_Amphenol_Vintage_Microphone_Mic_Connector_web. jpg

They call these connectors "EVEN RARER THAN HENS' TEETH" but when they
were made, they were very common and inexpensive. You may have to
alter the keyway to get one of these connectors to work.

73, Dr. Barry L. Ornitz

It's an Amphenol mike connector.

To me it looks like the socket that was used on old 90V+1.5V HT/LT
batteries. The builder of this beauty shows one:

http://www.thestudioeonevalveradio.org.uk/myrbldpg.html

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Barry wrote:

"The EH Man" wrote in message

[...]

"Analogue switchoff?"

Going 100% digital for broadcast radio? Man,
what a *magnificent* opportunity for pirate
operators! Jillions of receivers lying about,
useless for anything but receiving...cool stuff!

LV

JosefMiller JosefMiller is offline
Junior Member

this plug and know where I can purchase one, their help would be.