Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default FA: Sherwood s 8000 Tube Receiver - Awesome Condition

On Aug 30, 1:05*am, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,
*Patrick Turner wrote:

That is an impressive tubed stereo receiver. If it is a 1960 model
then does it not predate the addoption of the Zenith-GE multiplexing
for stereo info using a 38kHz sub-carrier?
I searched for a free online available schematic for the S-8000 which
this receiever seems to be. Probably it is after 1961 and with the
addopted standard MPX stereo decoding circuits of the time. Anyone
bidding for this would be able to check this out because you have a
picture of the front cover of the owner manual.
I could not find a free schematic although someone was able to sell a
service manual for just about all Sherwoods from those ancient times.

The top of chassis view clearly shows the presence of a post June 1961
Pilot Tone Stereo decoder.

These old sets usually develop a number of faults over the years. It
happens also with Scotts and Fishers et all. But they do respond to
having all dud tubes and R&C parts replaced along with some upgrade to
electrolytic cap values, and some possible revisions to output tube
biasing methods.

What revisions do you recommend to the output tube biasing methods? *
Most of these old receivers originally used a "fixed bias" scheme.

I cannot see the full schematic of the receiver in question.

But many such things were seriously compromised by very poor bean
counter inspired biasing of OP tubes.

It was common practice to use the heater filaments of the phono
stages for the common cathode resistance for all 4 output tubes so
that you could have Ek at every OP tube at +25V at a total Ia = 300mA,
if there were 4 x 12AX7. Trouble occurs when OP tubes drift and don't
all bias the same with Ia variations of +/- 70% as I have seen in bad
cases.

Almost none of the well known brands used separate individual RC
cathode biasing for each OP tube which was the most user friendly
method. None I know of ever had separate trim-pots to set the fixed
bias which most owners got wrong causing smoke and burned out parts.

As I have so often said, much of the design methods used in 1960
receivers was bloody crook ****e, and they always used a minimum cost
design method which meant poor lowest common denominator performance.

Patrick Turner.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
MarkS MarkS is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

One integrated amp, the Fisher KX 200, had a nice arrangement for setting
the fixed bias. A bias and balance pot for each pair of output tubes. It
also had a little meter and a rotary switch so that each pair could be
biased and balanced fairly easily. The KX 200 was a kit, the kit instruction
manual has some tough in cheek humor to it which is a little entertaining.
Pretty cool. My LK72B Scott also has the bias and balance pots but no meter.
Probably the exceptions rather than the rule I would imagine.

MarkS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
JC JC is offline

The older S8000's used 12AX7 tubes in the low level stages, and the newer
ones use the 6EU7. The schematics are somewhat different.

I have the older model, bought from a HI-FI store in Austin, Texas back in
1977 for $15.00 as-is not working. Since then I have gone through it twice,
although some of the original tubes remain. I put in a new set of Sylvania
7868's in 1981, and they remain there to this day. The Sherwood logs about
10 hours a week minimum use since it is connected to the home entertainment
system whick includes the Nintendo Wii where we stream Netflix almost daily.

Back in 2002 it finally crapped out after limping for a while. All the
wiring to the power transformer started falling off. I almost junked it.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/Sh...0/Transformer/

After redoing that wiring, along with the output transformers as well
(primary only), I got a wild hair to re-cap, and then start a crazy crusade
to play with SS FET regulators:

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/Sh...8000_Mods2.htm

All those regulators fit on a 2" x 2" perf board with a small processor
heatsink with a tiny fan. Been working fine for the last 7 years, other than
losing a receiver IF tube filament. The sound is awsome with really enhanced
bass due to the stiffer plate and screen supplies to the output tubes.

I don't necessarily reccomend anyone do these mods unless you have a well
equipped bench, and a lot of understanding of how things work. It is tough
to make solid state requlators short circuit proof. I tried, but was too
chicken to test! :-)

Jim in Texas