Posted to rec.audio.tech
ShadowTek ShadowTek is offline

Default [PC Speakers] Even seen a parallel port used to connect speaker toamp?

This is so damn weird that I just had to ask if anyone else has seen
this before. I was just looking at the user manual for a 5.1 PC speaker
system that I was thinking about bidding on, and I noticed that while 4
of the speakers connect to the amp with typical audio plugs, the
right-front speaker connects to the amp with a damn parallel plug!

http://insigniaproducts.com/cms/docu...20EN_SP_FR.pdf
(page 8)

Why the hell would anyone ever do such a thing?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias[_3_] Mark Zacharias[_3_] is offline

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
n...
This is so damn weird that I just had to ask if anyone else has seen
this before. I was just looking at the user manual for a 5.1 PC speaker
system that I was thinking about bidding on, and I noticed that while 4
of the speakers connect to the amp with typical audio plugs, the
right-front speaker connects to the amp with a damn parallel plug!

http://insigniaproducts.com/cms/docu...20EN_SP_FR.pdf
(page 8)

Why the hell would anyone ever do such a thing?

If you look closer at the manual, you will see that the right front speaker
has the controls for fader, master volume, and on-off.

Still, my standard advice Insignia brand: avoid if possible.

The worst sort of Chinese junk.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2010-08-28, Mark Zacharias wrote:

If you look closer at the manual, you will see that the right front speaker
has the controls for fader, master volume, and on-off.

Ah, I missed that.

Still, my standard advice Insignia brand: avoid if possible.

The worst sort of Chinese junk.

I've never owned an Insignia product before. The speakers did look a bit puny,
but I was mainly interested in the 5.1 amp.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
This is so damn weird that I just had to ask if anyone
else has seen this before. I was just looking at the user
manual for a 5.1 PC speaker system that I was thinking
about bidding on, and I noticed that while 4 of the
speakers connect to the amp with typical audio plugs, the
right-front speaker connects to the amp with a damn
parallel plug!

http://insigniaproducts.com/cms/docu...20EN_SP_FR.pdf
(page 8)

Why the hell would anyone ever do such a thing?

That's not a parallel plug (DB 25), it is a 9 pin plug (AKA DB-9) of a
standard variety that has been used for any number of different things over
the past several decades. The basic design dates back at least as far as
the Korean war if memory serves. It used to be used on only highly
expensive, highest tech equipment but it has long been commoditized so it is
now used on even very inexpensive, low tech equipment.

In the realm of PCs, historical applications for exactly this plug (DB-9)
have included serial communcations ports and EGA monitor ports.

The tooling for making and installing this plug has been bought and paid off
for a long time so it is inexpensive to tool and produce. The patents ran
out decades ago. There are probably one or more production facilities for
installing it in production quantities in most major cities in the world
because it is so widely accepted.

The DB family of connectors has a good reputation for durability when used
with reasonable care. It is designed for, and well known to be effective at
handling a wide range of voltage and power levels that includes this
specific application.

Why do such a thing? Why not?

If a designer has a 9 wire analog interface, why not use a well-known,
widely available realtively inexpensive connector that has a reasonably good
reputation for reliability?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2010-08-29, Arny Krueger wrote:

Why do such a thing? Why not?

It makes replacing that speaker inconvenient.

If a designer has a 9 wire analog interface, why not use a well-known,
widely available realtively inexpensive connector that has a reasonably good
reputation for reliability?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2010-08-30, Dick Pierce wrote:
ShadowTek wrote:

It makes replacing that speaker inconvenient.

No, the connector doesn't make replacing the speaker
inconvenient, rather the multiple unique functions
that speaker provides (controls for fader, master
volume, and on-off) makes replacing that speaker
impossible, except from the manufacturer.

Yeah, impossible; it's not like I could actually cut a hole in the
speaker box, run the speaker wires to another speaker, and effectively
"replace" the old speaker, while still using it's build in controls.

Like I said, inconvenient.

The
connector is irrelevant other than the fact that it
makes connecting the necessarily unique replacement
easier.

So a serial cable with 2 screws is "easier"? Easier than what? The other
speaker plugs that simply push in?

You're sounding a bit trollish, dude.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

n...
On 2010-08-30, Dick Pierce wrote:
It makes replacing that speaker inconvenient.

No, the connector doesn't make replacing the speaker
inconvenient, rather the multiple unique functions
that speaker provides (controls for fader, master
volume, and on-off) makes replacing that speaker
impossible, except from the manufacturer.

Yeah, impossible; it's not like I could actually cut a hole in the
speaker box, run the speaker wires to another speaker, and effectively
"replace" the old speaker, while still using it's build in controls.

Like I said, inconvenient.

The
connector is irrelevant other than the fact that it
makes connecting the necessarily unique replacement
easier.

So a serial cable with 2 screws is "easier"? Easier than what? The other
speaker plugs that simply push in?

You're sounding a bit trollish, dude.

Those regulars who actually know of Dick will find that comment as amusing
as I do I'm sure :-)
As Dick correctly states, the connector is the least of your worries,
although his use of the term "impossible" is obviously not true. Since these
speakers are likely to be total crap, simply replacing any drive unit with
anything that fits, and leaving all the unique features alone, will probably
not degrade their performance at all, and should be easy enough for anyone
who can use a screwdriver and soldering iron. And the use of a common DB9
connector will be of NO concern for anyone who can!

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2010-08-30, Dick Pierce wrote:

ShadowTek wrote:

It makes replacing that speaker inconvenient.

No, the connector doesn't make replacing the speaker
inconvenient, rather the multiple unique functions
that speaker provides (controls for fader, master
volume, and on-off) makes replacing that speaker
impossible, except from the manufacturer.

Yeah, impossible; it's not like I could actually cut a hole in the
speaker box, run the speaker wires to another speaker, and effectively
"replace" the old speaker, while still using it's build in controls.

Like I said, inconvenient.

Let's all remember what this guy considers 'inconvenient'.

The
connector is irrelevant other than the fact that it
makes connecting the necessarily unique replacement
easier.

So a serial cable with 2 screws is "easier"? Easier
than what? The other speaker plugs that simply push in?

So, let's make sure we all got this right.

You're saying that when it comes time to replace this speaker,
it's easier to unscrew two screws, unplug a cable, and, as you
say,

"cut a hole in the speaker box, run the speaker wires to
another speaker,"

presumably cutting and stripping wires, soldering on connectors,
to, as you say:

"effectively 'replace' the old speaker"

than it is to plug a new connector in and tighten two screws?

No, replacing the old "puny" speaker (as I have previously referenced it) with
the same puny speaker is not an option. Therefore, the options are to
replace the speaker, or to not replace the speaker.

You're sounding a bit trollish, dude.

Thank you for your relevant, well reasoned technically
informed comment. Clearly, people such as yourself have
made enigneering and technical contributions if such
significance as to advance the Internet to where it is
today.

Let me guess: what do we all think the chances are that
this guy actually went out and bought these unmitigated
pieces crap, and now wants the rest of the world to
make him feel good and forget the fact that he screwed
up?

I did not buy them, nor did I ever place a bid on them,
since I read the manual first, and realized that
this was a product that I did not want.

Or what about the possibility that he might actually
realize that a DB9 is NOT a "damn parallel plug" as
he first claimed and that, in fact, it's not at all
uncommon for even high-end audio interfaces to use
DB9s for multiple analog channel interfacing?

I looked like a serial plug from the picture, but I specifically
referred to it as a "parallel" since that's exactly what the manual
calls it.

As for how common it's use is, that *was* the very nature of my OP.

Condisering how needlessly hateful you're being, you're obviously a troll,
so I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your hollow post.

*plonk*
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
n...
No, replacing the old "puny" speaker (as I have previously referenced it)

with
the same puny speaker is not an option. Therefore, the options are to
replace the speaker, or to not replace the speaker.

So where's the problem? Just replace the crappy amp as well, and you're
done!
Or don't replace anything.

I did not buy them, nor did I ever place a bid on them,
since I read the manual first, and realized that
this was a product that I did not want.

So *you're* post was pointless then, perhaps even a troll?

so I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your hollow post.
*plonk*

Dick will be sooo heartbroken! :-) :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2010-08-31, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

So where's the problem? Just replace the crappy amp as well, and you're
done!
Or don't replace anything.

I had no reason the believe that the amp was crappy.
My original idea was to simply get the amp and use it with my existing
speakers, as my current amp only has a 4 channel output, and the 5
channels of the Insignia amp would have been nice if I could have
grabbed it for cheap.

I did not buy them, nor did I ever place a bid on them,
since I read the manual first, and realized that
this was a product that I did not want.

So *you're* post was pointless then, perhaps even a troll?

The point of my original post was to ask a question.