Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Default Impedence matching problem

I am new to this group, so I apologize for asking a question than may have
been asked and answered many times before. I am a trumpet player, and I
would like to mike my horn and add a chorus effect to the output of the
mike, which I will then send to my 45 watt Beherenger keyboard amp and
speaker unit. I am using an Audio Technica PRO 35 R condenser mike which has
a low impedance output, since it requires a phantom power unit, and when I
put this signal into any of several chorus units, the result is very
distorted, since all these units are made for electric guitars, and they all
have high impedance inputs, as far as I know. What I would like to know is,
does anyone know of a chorus unit that can accept a low impedance input so
it can be driven by a condenser mike without distorting? Or, if not, how can
I change the mike output to a high impedance so it won't seriously overdrive
the chorus effect unit? I love the chorus effect, and it seems to me that
there must be some equipment combination that the pros use so they can sing
into, or play their acoustic instruments into a chorus effect unit without
getting a lot of distortion. Vocalists must use this effect too, and they
would have to drive those units with microphones also.
I am Bill Graham, from Salem, Oregon.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 8/22/2010 4:34 PM Bill Graham spake thus:

[...]

Not an answer, but speculation (informed, I hope): since a
high-impedance input won't overload a low-impedance device (as it will
if vice versa), couldn't he just insert a pad (L pad? T pad?) between
mike and input? Seems like this is more of an attenuation problem than
an impedance-mismatch problem. (In other words, the mike is overdriving
the input: too much voltage.)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jens Rodrigo Jens Rodrigo is offline

"Bill Graham" wrote:
[...]

We don't use matching in audio; see:
Interconnection of two audio units - Voltage Bridging or impedance
bridging - Zout Zin
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calcula...gebridging.htm

Cheers Jens

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Jens Rodrigo" wrote in message
"Bill Graham" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jens......The article is interesting and informative.....But, I
still believe in "power amplifiers".....They get power from the wall to
multiply the audio power output of a signal source......I guess it all
depends on your definition of. "amplify".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
Thanks, Jens......The article is interesting and informative.....But, I
still believe in "power amplifiers".....They get power from the wall to
multiply the audio power output of a signal source......I guess it all
depends on your definition of. "amplify".

The definitions are quite clear if you understand them. You can amplify
voltage, current, power, light etc. The key is simply specifying what you
mean.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
Thanks, Jens......The article is interesting and informative.....But, I
still believe in "power amplifiers".....They get power from the wall to
multiply the audio power output of a signal source......I guess it all
depends on your definition of. "amplify".

The definitions are quite clear if you understand them. You can amplify
voltage, current, power, light etc. The key is simply specifying what you
mean.

MrT.

Yes....I bought a TC Helicon Voice-tone harmony G unit from Musicians
Friend.....I'm not sure how it will sound with my flugelhorn, but at under
$150, its worth a try......