D Shadford

Default External RCA leads from Computer to HiFi

Thanks for help used CAT 5 cable which has 4 twisted pairs in it. It seems
to work welll

"Lee Salter" wrote in message
om...
"D Shadford" wrote in message

Hi

I want to conect my PC sound to my HiFi in the lounge unfortunately its
about 50m away and I would have to run the RCA cable outside the house

which
gets a lot of sun.
My local delear sells RCA cable in 100m rolls its cheap black co-ax 75

ohm
cable but very thin about 1.5mm in diameter. (looks like those free RCA
cables that come with a DVD player.)

Will such a cable carry sound 50m?
Will such cable degrage in the sun and rain.

What I thought might be better if I took 2 black RG6 cables instead

although
they made for satellite tv they are 75 ohm.
Any advise?

The distance is a problem with unbalanced cables, you're likely to
pick up noise. It would be best to use a high quality tranformer on
both ends of each line and send the signal "Balanced". The same noise
induced into 2 twisted wires cancels out the noise, Think of it as one
wire being plus and the other being minus, an equal signal on both
(the induced noise) equals zero at the output.

Running any cable outdoors requires a cable with an Ultra Violet
resistant jacket, typically they are black, but a black jacket is not
a guarantee that it is UV resistant.

If you decide to used unbalanced cable such as coax, and I discourage
this, the impedance rating of the cable is only applicable at radio
frequencies, not at audio frequencies. Impedance is dependant on
frequency and the difference between RF and AF is extremely
significant.

Lee Salter