Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias[_2_] Mark Zacharias[_2_] is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

To the others in the thread , if I wanted to get hints on (apparently
,
oftn
walletctomy) buying specific replacement stuff from e-bay or how to

google
wouldn't be posting repair queries to sci.electronics.repair which
has

the
word repair in the title. Why do you think I deliberately did not

mention
make and model?

Sometimes, my friend, you don't do yourself any favours. With an arsy
attitude like that, you don't deserve to get help with your half baked

bodge
repair projects. I offered you a solution based on the activities of a
friend who is a proper professional at laptop repairs, that would not

have
cost you a lot of money, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it, as he
makes

proper living at it, and I wouldn't have suggested it to you, knowing

your
penchant for fixing everything with some **** dissolved in epoxy, and

some
obscure material not intended for the job. So go ahead, and waste
forty
quidsworth of your time, on a bodged repair that won't last five

minutes.
Sheesh.

Arfa

Oh well said that man -

Ron

If I replaced the whole hinge, I'd have to find out how to take the
laptop
apart to get to the other part of the hinge, C-clip or whatever is buried
inside. Anyone's guess what chance of colateral damage just doing that.
Obtain a part, without being ripped off and having the correct one
supplied.
Whereas all I've to do is find a way of building up the lost few square
mm
of aluminium of the hinge anchor plate and make good some of the broken
away
and missing plastic of the display surround/lid. All nicely exposed and
easy
to work on. Why go to all that bother if a bit of epoxy and some Al mesh/
minimal hardware/drilling is all that's required. The hinge mount failed
in
quite normal use , so direct replacement likely to do the same.

Because, when you are doing work for people who are good enough to entrust
their repairs to you, it's about both appearing to be, and *actually
being* professional about the way you tackle the job. I wonder how you
would feel about a garage that fixed your clutch cable by joining it with
an electrical junction block, rather than replacing it, because the bodge
was cheaper and easier to do ?

Honestly, I don't know how you manage to make a living judging by some of
the threads you post on here. Yes, you are right that the title of this
group includes the word "repair", but I can't believe how literally you
seem to take that. Repairing often involves fitting new genuine
replacement parts, and especially it does when you are doing the work
commercially ...

Arfa

Arfa

Not so much leaving as wanting to hear more from the techs. Haven't had much
luck filtering the spam using Windoze Mail, which along with OE previously,
has all my old postings and others in the various message folders.

I can visually scan the list of messages in a given newsgroup and filter
accordingly, the trouble is there just aren't many relevant posts any more.
Often I'll see fifty spam posts along with one or two legitimate posts which
mostly don't even relate to my areas of interest. So many of our best seem
to have left the room for good.

Once upon a time I might make several posts in any given day which might
have some relevance or actually help someone. I was typing away so much my
wife almost thought I was fooling around! Nowadays it's down to about one or
two posts per week tops.

Mark Z.

Free Laptop Repair Manuals Printer manuals and Support TUFFY Tech 0 February 20th 07 11:46 PM
Bad CD Repair allows to copy files from bad CD or HDD. If your text or mp3 or any other type of file is corrupted then use Bad CD Repair to save it! Restore your data [email protected] General 0 January 31st 07 03:24 PM
laptop [email protected] Pro Audio 1 August 13th 06 08:06 PM
Laptop DAW Mike Rivers Pro Audio 0 January 29th 06 01:26 PM
beogram 8000 turntable repair any shadetree repair techs out there? s [email protected] High End Audio 0 August 24th 03 08:32 PM