Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
panfilero panfilero is offline

Default Simple audio question, speaker amp selection

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on how
to select the right speakers and amplifier for my set up.

Here's what I've got, one room about 16' x 13' ... I have a computer
which has my music on it, mp3s, which I usually play through winamp
and a pair of desktop computer speakers.... besides listening to music
on the computer I'm also starting to do a little bit of audio editing
and recording on the computer, mostly guitars, bass, keyboards, synth
stuff...

I'd like to get some new speakers, something that will give a real
good loud and clear sound.... I was hoping for something I could mount
on the wall but would still be loud (not ridiculously loud) .... it
would also be cool if I could route the signal from a mixer to these
speakers as well... so I could use them for playing instruments, as
well as for playing music from the computer....

I'm assuming I will need to buy 2 things, a set of speakers and then
some kind of amplifier... I go to the store and there's a section for
Home Theatre speakers... then there's a stereo section with
speakers... then there's a computer section with speakers.... What
section should I be looking in? does it matter?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate
it...

I'm looking to stay less than $500.... around $200 would be good....

much thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , panfilero wrote:
[...]

You have to watch playing HiFi speakers with raw instrument power and sounds.
They will destruct. Mounting speakers on the wall will sound different from
table placement or stand placement, as well as anywhere else. Some speakers
are designed for wall placement, and some are designed for stand placement
as to their sound qualities. Take a look into the Behringer stuff . Try internet
shopping, or try a local Guitar Center.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

"panfilero" wrote in message
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on how
to select the right speakers and amplifier for my set up.

snip

I'm assuming I will need to buy 2 things, a set of speakers and then
some kind of amplifier...

snip

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate
it...

I'm looking to stay less than $500.... around $200 would be good....

KRK Rockit 5's. $300 (or less) for a set, just about anywhere. You can get
them at a Best Buy with a musical instrument area (not all of them have it
yet), Guitar Center, or from Musicians Friend online.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...n-2?sku=482825

They're not the best speakers in the world, but they're solid for the money.
I use a set as my B-Mix speakers in the studio. There're a lot of options,
but you'll do well if you start mixing on the KRK's.

These are powered speakers. You don't need to buy an amp... Oh, and get a
different (BETTER) sound card at the same time you buy the speakers. An
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or 192 will do the job (the 192's a better, newer
piece of gear).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...audiophile&st=

(three options at that link)

Good luck, and have fun!
--
Corey Benson

Radio by dogs, for dogs:
http://www.HenryAndBuster.com/

http://www.curbsideproductions.com/

Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Michael R. Kesti[_3_] Michael R. Kesti[_3_] is offline

GregS wrote:
In article , panfilero wrote:
[...]

I agree that hi-fi speakers are to be avoided in the OP's application.

I have used Tannoy PBM-6.5's and PBM-5's in similar applications, driven
by a cheap Sony receiver and by an Alesis RA-100. They worked very well.

I don't think the Tannoys are currently in production but they must
have something similar in their current line. The PBM's do appear
on eBay somewhat frequently, too. Their rear ports contraindicate
wall mounting, though.

| two, one and one make one."
Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Cyberserf Cyberserf is offline

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...Powered-5-Gene...

They're not the best speakers in the world, but they're solid for the money.
I use a set as my B-Mix speakers in the studio. There're a lot of options,
but you'll do well if you start mixing on the KRK's.

These are powered speakers. You don't need to buy an amp... Oh, and get a
different (BETTER) sound card at the same time you buy the speakers. An
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or 192 will do the job (the 192's a better, newer
piece of gear).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...audiophile&st=

(three options at that link)

Good luck, and have fun!
--
Corey Benson

Radio by dogs, for dogs:http://www.HenryAndBuster.com/

http://www.curbsideproductions.com/

I second the RP5's...for that size room, anything bigger would be
overkill, and for the price KRK is hard to beat. So long as you
properly reference them (with known mixes) they should be solid
monitors (I've supplemented mine with a 10 'cuz I tend to mix bass
heavy and this keeps me in line)...my room is 10 by 14 with lots of
gear providing tons of deflection.

HTH, CS

Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

"panfilero" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the feedback, those KRK RP5 monitors have really good
reviews everywhere I look, I think I will go with those. Does anyone
know if these can be mounted on a wall? Or will stands be better?

"Oh, and get a
different (BETTER) sound card at the same time you buy the speakers. An
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or 192 will do the job (the 192's a better, newer
piece of gear). "

I hadn't thought of soundcard... I've got an old pentium 4 dell
computer with whatever it came with from the factory... are the
external firewire modules with the jacks also soundcards?

Much Thanks!