Posted to rec.audio.tech
ansermetniac ansermetniac is offline

Default Nakamichi CR 7a question

I have no motion, i.e play fast forward and reverse.. By looking at my
other deck that works , it seems that the white plastic gears are
not engaging. Is that a bad motor, a belt or somethign else

TIA

Who do you recommend to repair this?

Abbedd
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] is offline

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
I have no motion, i.e play fast forward and reverse.. By looking at my
other deck that works , it seems that the white plastic gears are
not engaging. Is that a bad motor, a belt or somethign else

TIA

Who do you recommend to repair this?

Abbedd

I think I've heard of bad lamps causing this...

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ansermetniac ansermetniac is offline

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:22:11 -0600, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
.. .
I have no motion, i.e play fast forward and reverse.. By looking at my
other deck that works , it seems that the white plastic gears are
not engaging. Is that a bad motor, a belt or somethign else

TIA

Who do you recommend to repair this?

Abbedd

I think I've heard of bad lamps causing this...

Mark Z.

Are you trying to be funny?

Abbedd
Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Matthew Wood[_2_] David Matthew Wood[_2_] is offline

wrote:

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
.. .
I have no motion, i.e play fast forward and reverse.. By looking at my
other deck that works , it seems that the white plastic gears are
not engaging. Is that a bad motor, a belt or somethign else

TIA

Who do you recommend to repair this?

Abbedd

I think I've heard of bad lamps causing this...

Mark Z.

Are you trying to be funny?

Abbedd

Umm... no, I don't think Mark was trying to be funny. Some decks use
lamps and light sensors to detect movement, and Nakamichi's are supposed
to stop if proper tape movement isn't detected.

In fact, the first VHS machines used incandescent lamps and light
sensors (they still do, except they use IR LEDs) for the tape-end
sensors. When these lamps burned out, which they did, the VCRs no
longer worked.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 7, 2:56*pm, ansermetniac wrote:
I have no motion, i.e play fast forward and reverse.. By looking at my
other *deck that works , it seems that the white plastic *gears are
not engaging. Is that a bad motor, a belt or somethign else

TIA

Who do you recommend to repair this?

Abbedd

I'm not familiar with that particular unit, but the common problem
with Nak decks is due to a worn "idler tire". I have a CR-1A with the
same problem, but after looking at the replacement instructions, it
wasn't for a novice like myself. Yours might be very easy to replace.
I had the site that sells the tires and instructions saved, but have
since deleted it once I realized I couldn't repair the deck myself. (I
have a Pioneer CT-W910R so why bother) The tires are VERY cheap. So if
you can make the repair yourself you're looking at about $5.00.

This might be the guy that emailed me and told my that my deck was
much more dificult to replace the idler tire on.
http://www.eslabs.com/idler_2.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
. ..
I have no motion, i.e play fast forward and reverse.. By looking at my
other deck that works , it seems that the white plastic gears are
not engaging. Is that a bad motor, a belt or somethign else

TIA

Who do you recommend to repair this?

Abbedd

I think I've heard of bad lamps causing this...

Mark Z.

Are you trying to be funny?

Abbedd

Definitely not - in addition to motion sensing, they may use lamps as a sort
of fuse involving the front panel functions. In other words if a Play
indicator lamp would go out, the mechanical functions might be inhibited
altogether. I know it sounds stupid, and I'm trying to remember something
another tech told me 15 years ago, so I'm sorry I can't be more specific.
Just wanted to alert you to the possibility.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ansermetniac ansermetniac is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your help. I was referring to my previous request for
lamps on the Thorens and thought you were making a joke. I should have
realized that audio techies have no sense of humor :-)

I have the service manual for the nak somewhere and will try to find
it

Abbedd
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 14:56:35 -0500, ansermetniac
wrote:

I have no motion, i.e play fast forward and reverse.. By looking at my
other deck that works , it seems that the white plastic gears are
not engaging. Is that a bad motor, a belt or somethign else

Does this model have a "Stop" lamp and is it lit?
(Sorry, I've forgotten over the years).

Is the capstan turning?

Does the head bridge engage (pull up) when "Play"
is pushed?

A voltmeter across the reel motor's terminals (set
for reading DC voltage) reads what, (Play?, FFwd?, Rwd?)

All the best fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mal Thomas Mal Thomas is offline

wrote:

[...]

Concur. Not a Nakamichi, but had a similar problem with an old Accuphase
power amp. They have a small fuse-like lamp to illuminate the analogue VU
meters. I lost a channel at the same time one of the lamps blew (but didn't
make the connection at the time). Took me a while to figure out what caused
the channel to go. After a bit of digging around I found out that the lamp
doubled as a kind of fuse (still don't know what it was actually
protecting), but I replaced it with a $1.00 lamp from the US and the channel
recovered.

Cheers
Mal
Oz