Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

Default -_-_-_-_-_alt whine?

As a dealer/repair-type how easy is it to diagnose, and of course fix,
alternator whine?
I've got a bad case, and it has better and worse stages; some mornings
it seems to be a lot worse than others, and sometimes a few good
whacks on the dash by the h/u seems to knock it back 50%.

My sub amp died, and therefore the subs are out of the truck now. But
I miss the three digit SPL that I used to have. It was so nice to
blast a few good tunes at high level on the way home from a crappy day
at work.

I'm rambling......but I have two issues: the dead amp (which is up to
me) and the alt whine. If I can fix the latter easily I might fix the
former for a high price. If the latter's a money-pit I'd be stupid to
fix the former. Better to scrap it all and start over.

So, can alt whine be accurately and easily diagnosed?
Posted to rec.audio.car
gamefixer gamefixer is offline

On Sep 6, 7:19*pm, Ericfg wrote:
As a dealer/repair-type how easy is it to diagnose, and of course fix,
alternator whine?
I've got a bad case, and it has better and worse stages; some mornings
it seems to be a lot worse than others, and sometimes a few good
whacks on the dash by the h/u seems to knock it back 50%.

My sub amp died, and therefore the subs are out of the truck now. *But
I miss the three digit SPL that I used to have. *It was so nice to
blast a few good tunes at high level on the way home from a crappy day
at work.

I'm rambling......but I have two issues: the dead amp (which is up to
me) and the alt whine. *If I can fix the latter easily I might fix the
former for a high price. *If the latter's a money-pit I'd be stupid to
fix the former. *Better to scrap it all and start over.

So, can alt whine be accurately and easily diagnosed?

If hitting the dash clears up the noise then you've got a bad ground
or an RCA cable thats shorting to the frame some where. It could also
be your head unit but I'd check the other things first.

Matt
Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

If hitting the dash clears up the noise then you've got a bad ground
or an RCA cable thats shorting to the frame some where. It could also
be your head unit but I'd check the other things first.

Thanks Matt. I have removed/fiddled with the h/u so many times and it
doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. I even grounded
the h/u seperately; that didn't do squat.
Posted to rec.audio.car

On Sep 9, 6:25*am, Ericfg wrote:
If hitting the dash clears up the noise then you've got a bad ground
or an RCA cable thats shorting to the frame some where. It could also
be your head unit but I'd check the other things first.

Thanks Matt. *I have removed/fiddled with the h/u so many times and it
doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. *I even grounded
the h/u seperately; that didn't do squat.

You might also want to check your RCA cables for a pinched wire or
something. Some times if the shield gets grounded you will get that
whine.

Matt
Posted to rec.audio.car
Ender W Ender W is offline

"gamefixer" wrote in message
On Sep 9, 6:25 am, Ericfg wrote:
If hitting the dash clears up the noise then you've got a bad ground
or an RCA cable thats shorting to the frame some where. It could also
be your head unit but I'd check the other things first.

Thanks Matt. I have removed/fiddled with the h/u so many times and it
doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. I even grounded
the h/u seperately; that didn't do squat.

You might also want to check your RCA cables for a pinched wire or
something. Some times if the shield gets grounded you will get that
whine.

Matt

You may also want to check the RCA inputs on the amp also
I have seen the jacks come loose where you lose the input ground and that
will cause intermittent whine

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

Thanks again Matt, I'll fool with it some today.

Is there a car audio forum somewhere that you recommend where I can
find similar help as opposed to this outdated usenet forum?

Posted to rec.audio.car

On Sep 13, 7:32*am, Ericfg wrote:
Thanks again Matt, I'll fool with it some today.

Is there a car audio forum somewhere that you recommend where I can
find similar help as opposed to this outdated usenet forum?

I honestly have no idea. I suppose you could find one by googling for
one. I did car stereo install almost 20 years ago so we didnt have
anything at all to work with.

Matt
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

car stereo.com, then forum.

alternator whine Sal Car Audio 2 April 2nd 05 09:52 AM
New HU - alternator whine? Ryan Car Audio 13 February 21st 04 02:25 AM
Help? Bad alternator whine..99 BMW M3 Kerry Graber Car Audio 12 September 9th 03 05:04 PM
Alternator whine. Corby Car Audio 4 July 18th 03 08:10 PM