Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] gabjsmo0@gmail.com is offline

Default Hi-comp radio keeps blowing fuses

I have a Hi-comp AudoVox radio that keeps blowing fuses (really
annoying, since they're expensive). I am going to put it in a boat,
but it needs to work first! I've built a box and have 4 speakers I
want to hook up, so I really want to get this to work. Do I need a new
radio or what?

Posted to rec.audio.car

On Jul 19, 12:31 am, (Captain Howdy) wrote:
I guess owning a Hi-comp AudoVox radio would make anyone feel that fuses are
expensive.

I have a Hi-comp AudoVox radio that keeps blowing fuses (really
annoying, since they're expensive). I am going to put it in a boat,
but it needs to work first! I've built a box and have 4 speakers I
want to hook up, so I really want to get this to work. Do I need a new
radio or what?

Actually, it was a $400 radio in 1988. But the fuses cost 2+ bucks!
Come on...
On a side note, the model is HCC-1160.
Posted to rec.audio.car

On Jul 19, 8:04 pm, ChrisB wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 19, 12:31 am, (Captain Howdy) wrote:
I guess owning a Hi-comp AudoVox radio would make anyone feel that fuses are
expensive.

I have a Hi-comp AudoVox radio that keeps blowing fuses (really
annoying, since they're expensive). I am going to put it in a boat,
but it needs to work first! I've built a box and have 4 speakers I
want to hook up, so I really want to get this to work. Do I need a new
radio or what?

Actually, it was a $400 radio in 1988. But the fuses cost 2+ bucks!
Come on...
On a side note, the model is HCC-1160.

Come on man, you got the radio in 1988. Maybe it is a tad bit past its
useful life...

Obviously something is either wrong with the radio or the wiring if it
keeps blowing fuses. If you eliminate any potential shorts or see no
obvious defects in the wiring, replace the radio. Most shops charge $75
to $150 up front before they will even look at anything and a 20 year
old radio is not worth that!

Not the wiring... nothing's wired up!