Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] fishjam@gmail.com is offline

Default amp wiring / common ground / mono sub out

I have an Alpine CDA-9812RB, with stereo sub pre-out, and AFAIK no
provision for switching to mono out. I have a bridgeable mono amp for
a sub that I'm going to fit in the rear of the car, and fortunately
the battery is under the rear seats.
I'd like to use the existing rear speaker cables for pre-out signal
plus switching.
Question is, should I just use one channel of the HU sub out, or can I
sum the grounds of the pre-outs and use three of the four speaker
cables to carry the stereo sub signal? Is this necessary (LF being
primarily mono) & does it carry a risk to the HU?
TIA,
J.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Frank[_8_] Frank[_8_] is offline

wrote in message
I have an Alpine CDA-9812RB, with stereo sub pre-out, and AFAIK no
provision for switching to mono out.

Your description is kinda of funky. Like Greg S said, stereo sub makes no
sense as low frequency sound is non directional. If what you said is indeed
the case, use a "Y" connector from the "stereo" sub preout from the Alpine
to the mono amp and be done with it.

Use this from the HU

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-RCA-Y-Con...8028280&sr=1-2

plus a long RCA mono connector to the amp.