Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Friend's uncle's twisted Steinway grand

Not much more to describe. *The tuner guy my friend's uncle uses says he lasered the soundboard and it is actually twisted about 1.5" out of square!

Now that soundbard is a massive piece of wood & steel and no one seems to how it coulda got bent that way.

My question is, is it worth getting repaired? *Because the tuner says he may have to charge my buddy's uncle twice the normal fee to get just a "satisfactory" sound, let alone a good or excellent sound.

My friend is a very good player and wants to go regional/national someday, and playing on that Steinway is a real joy for him.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

wrote:
Not much more to describe. The tuner guy my friend's uncle uses
says he lasered the soundboard

SOunds like a perfectly good misapplication of technology to me!

and it is actually twisted about 1.5" out of square!

Perhaps he used the word "warped" or "buckled".

Now that soundbard is a massive piece of wood & steel

No, it's not. The soundboard is actually a 1/4" thick piece
of wood, with some smallish stiffening ribs on the bottom side.
It is only supported on its edges. If altogether, the soundboard
weight a couple of pounds, it's probably wet.

The soundboard is NOT attached to the steel frame. The steel
frame is there to keept the case from collapsing under the
tension of the strings.

and no one seems to how it coulda got bent that way.

Easy schmeasy: wood warps, happens all the time. If despite
it's warpage, it's not actually interfering with the strings,
it's fine, leave it alone.

My question is, is it worth getting repaired?

It might be worth not worrying about.

Because the tuner says he may have to charge my buddy's uncle
twice the normal fee to get just a "satisfactory" sound, let
alone a good or excellent sound.

Again, unless there is actual mechanical interference between
the strings and the sound board, it will, when properly tuned,
sound perfectly fine, better than "satisfactory."

My friend is a very good player and wants to go regional/national
someday, and playing on that Steinway is a real joy for him.

Then find a good tuner who won't give you a line of b*llsh*t,
and if he wants to charge extra money, have make sure the action
is in good shape.

But non-flat, warped soundboards are normal in pianos. Some may
be more extreme than others, but, again, it will not measurably
affect the sound.

--
+ Dick Pierce |
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Dick: "The soundboard is NOT attached to the steel frame. The steel
frame is there to keept the case from collapsing under the
tension of the strings. "

Thanks for the clarification - but the frame is twisted too!