Posted to rec.audio.tubes
JimKroger JimKroger is offline

Default Bringing up my hifi after 3 year storage

Hi all, haven't been here in a long time.

My system has been in storage for 3 years and I need to wake it all
up. 3 years ago, I was in a similar situation and a local retired
engineer did it all for me but he can no longer do it.

I have a McIntosh MC240, Marantz 8B, Conrad Johnson PV-5, Scott 350B
tuner. I have a Variac. But the engineer explained to me that it's not
just a matter of slowly bringing up the voltage on each piece, though
I do not remember details nor do I understand the electronics well.

Can anybody give me some directions, or point me to a place that can
walk me though it? Even if I can call somebody in the United States,
maybe they can give me some guidance, or maybe I can arrange to pay
them. I won't touch it til I'm sure, as the engineer told me I can
take out transformers.

Thanks very much,
Jim Kroger
jkk251 at gmail.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario

jkk251 at gmail.com

Not sure where you are getting your advice... 3 years is not long if
they worked back them.
Anyway, pull out all the tubes (and any s/s rectifier - I did not
check your models for these things) and run up the power slowly -
check all AC voltages as you go. Likely all OK.
Put back the rectifier and bring it up very slowly, again on the
variac, while monitoring the DC B+ voltage. I generally let them sit
for a while at, say, 60 - 70 VAC input to let the caps reform a bit,
if needed. It's a good idea to have a 1 or 2 amp fuse in the AC
supply for all tests.
If all OK put back all the tubes and repeat. If all OK, no smoke,
normal voltages... then they should work. If not, it's into
forensics!
Above is a bit brief as I'm being called for dinner! If in doubt, get
an expert in! Usual disclaimers... HV can be lethal, etc.
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

It is generally better to reform caps with a current limited DC
supply directly rather than using a Variac through the main supply
itself especially in equipment with tube rectifiers.