John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile Compansated AM Detector, for the Faithful

Turns out we discussed this one & others back in 2004. So here it is again from p1074 of RDH4.

Cheers, John
Attached Images

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default Compansated AM Detector, for the Faithful

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

On Jul 18, 5:51*am, John L Stewart John.L.Stewart.
wrote:
Turns out we discussed this one & others back in 2004. So here it is
again from p1074 of RDH4.

All very well, but it uses a twin diode tube. If I am to put an extra
tube into an existing radio it'd be for a 12AU7 cathode follower
detector. Probably works better than the boffin method in RDH4.

I don't imagine that they intended you would use an extra tube, only an extra
resistor and capacitor. I assume that this circuit dates from the era when 6H6
detectors were popular so the diodes were already there. this circuit could be
implemented in radios using a 6AV6 detector and 1st audio tube by replacing the
6AV6 with a 6T8.

The question is, does this circuit really do anything useful, and if so what?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 19, 7:15*am, John Byrns wrote:

wrote:
Turns out we discussed this one & others back in 2004. So here it is
again from p1074 of RDH4.

All very well, but it uses a twin diode tube. If I am to put an extra
tube into an existing radio it'd be for a 12AU7 cathode follower
detector. Probably works better than the boffin method in RDH4.

I don't imagine that they intended you would use an extra tube, only an extra
resistor and capacitor. *I assume that this circuit dates from the era when 6H6
detectors were popular so the diodes were already there. *this circuit could be
implemented in radios using a 6AV6 detector and 1st audio tube by replacing the
6AV6 with a 6T8.

All the old radios I have seen contain NO separate double diode tube.
The only signal diodes are grounded cathode types within the vari µ
pentodes for IF. The 27.4 schematic shows a tube diode 0.1uF and
variable R5 between cathode and 0V, and this would not be able to be
implemented using a pentode tube whose two diodes have a common
cathode.

The question is, does this circuit really do anything useful, and if so what?

Its very simple John. The D2 generates a positive going voltage at its
cathode from 100pF feed from IF amp anode. This is supposed to counter
the cut off distortion one sees with RC coupling in detectors, and if
RDH4 says the ducks can fly, then they will, and you need to be
careful looking up when thousands of ducts fly over.
I suggest you don your duck observation gear and venture to the swamp.
Beware of duck hunters with shotguns.

Notice there is a 1M taken from D2 anode to feed AVC, and this is
necessary to get the + voltage at the D2 cathode.

D1 in the 27.3 circuit could be a diode in a pentode, an D2 could be a
Ge type because its distortion production does not matter, and D2
cathode is bypassed to 0V via 0.1uF. D2 is merely there to make a Vdc
voltage.

But like many things in RDH4, I have never ever seen this circuit in
any old radio where performance is so often quite appalling in 101
different ways.

Patrick Turner.

John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Turner View Post

wrote:
[...]

Hey Patrick, I didn't have to look far in Beitmans to see several late 30s radios running 6H6s as 2nd detectors. But all of them with plates & cathodes paralleled as in the attached.

That was back in the day when more tubes hinted at more performance, sort of like todays horsepower race. But many of those circuits wasted a multi purpose tube or more doing just that. For example, two 6Q7s, one as the detector, the 2nd as 1st AF, the rest of the electrodes simply along for the ride.

The example here is from an A****er Kent. There are quite a few Zeniths using this same hookup, all could benifit from the cct in RDH4. Perhaps these products were not sold in Oz.

Cheers, John
Attached Images

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Pogossov Alex Pogossov is offline

"John Byrns" wrote

The claim is that the pull voltage is proportional to the carrier, i.e.
good
for all carrier levels, unlike in Partick's biased detector (with a fixed
pull) which is good only for a certain range of RF carrier.

Are you saying that Partick's biased detector also combats AC/DC loading
distortion?

Sure. Patrick's heavily biased detector combats both slew rate and AC/DC
distortion. But since it is heavily biased it has very low input impedance
at low signal (1.7K, as I showed in part 2). Therefore, Patrick's detector
must have a cathode follower in front.

In this circuit from RDH4 this extra pull needs to be as small as possible
not to reduce significantly the input impedance at low signal, which would
in turn raise the sensitivity threshold and cause the same distortion by a
different machanism.
Yet the pull must be enough to overcome the effect of the volume control AC
coupled. Thus in this circuit the pull is critical. That is why they made R3
a trimpot.

A problem here is that the pull voltage is very-very "averaged" by the
0.1uF
capacitor across R3, and it will not track signal level well. If a signal
varies quickly or if it composed of a composite multi-tone audiom it will
not work perfectly.

It's not clear to me what you are saying here? What difference does the
modulation make as long as we are talking a normal AM signal? When you
talk
about "not tracking the signal level well" what are you talking about?
Normally
the carrier level of a booooring AM signal is constant and doesn't vary,
are you
talking about fading?

You are right. Tracking is not that importamt. Fast fading is virtually
nonexistant for MW broadcasts, especially local stations.

Besides the pull is taken from the primary LC tank of
the IFT, and the IFT transformer ratio is not fixed, but depends on the
accuracy of the radio tuning.

Sounds right, however I would think it would work OK as long as the
compensation
voltage is at least the minimum level required for any given carrier
level.

This circuit increases the effective load on the secondary of the IFT,
effectively lowering the value of the detector load resistor. An
improvement in
modulation acceptance of the ordinary booooring AM detector could
acomplished by
simply lowering the value of the 500k resistor to provide the equivalent
load,
although it wouldn't get us to 100% as this circuit purports to do.

In the 21-st century you would rather simply use an inverting op-amp
which
would be creating a pull, EXACTLY proportional to the instantaneous
signal
level from the same detector. You need only one diode.

If you have an extra OP Amp why go to all this trouble, why not simply use
the
OP Amp to buffer the output of the detector to provide an AC/DC load ratio
of
unity?

You are right. Use an op-amp as an RF buffer and a biased detector. Or
unbiased detector and an AF buffer, or both. I use an emitter mildly biased
detector and an op-amp buffer after it, another op-amp working as an AGC
with infinite gain.

We need to be honest with ourselves -- SS stuff works so much better in
every and any respect. So much more convenience and versatility.

Yet there are some *ppl* who still try build stuff with tubes. These are
like Commmunists, creating problems (hum, noise, drift, low efficiency,
weight, size, distortion, heat, instability, aging, tricky craftmanship,
etc....) and then overcoming the self inflicted problems with enormous
puffing, blowing steam, slogans and chest-pounding....

Steam engines are fun to watch or ride, but we use electric trains,
thanks...

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Regards,
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 20, 7:00*pm, "Alex Pogossov" wrote:
"John Byrns" wrote

The claim is that the pull voltage is proportional to the carrier, i.e..
good
for all carrier levels, unlike in Partick's biased detector (with a fixed
pull) which is good only for a certain range of RF carrier.

Are you saying that Partick's biased detector also combats AC/DC loading
distortion?

Sure. Patrick's heavily biased detector combats both slew rate and AC/DC
distortion. But since it is heavily biased it has very low input impedance
at low signal (1.7K, as I showed in part 2). Therefore, Patrick's detector
must have a cathode follower in front.

The capacitor reactance into which the diode charges may have low Z of
1k7. The reactance of 200pF at 455kHz is 1.74k ohms. If it is 100pF as
so commonly used in most old "booooooooring detectors" Alex mentions,
then the high Z IFT circuit has to charge into 3.4k approx, which
means the boooooring detector causes terrible loading effects - one
might think, but waveform displays do not indicate its as bad as Alex
implies. Anyway, my detector sure gives MUCH better detector accuracy,
and the 12AU7 handles it fine. Other suitable triodes are 6DJ8, 12AT7
with higher gm.

In this circuit from RDH4 this extra pull needs to be as small as possible
not to reduce significantly the input impedance at low signal, which would
in turn raise the sensitivity threshold and cause the same distortion by a
different machanism.
Yet the pull must be enough to overcome the effect of the volume control AC
coupled. Thus in this circuit the pull is critical. That is why they made R3
a trimpot.

Indeed.

This is a tube use discussion group, and who gives a **** about SS?

Yet there are some *ppl* who still try build stuff with tubes. These are
like Commmunists, creating problems (hum, noise, drift, low efficiency,
weight, size, distortion, heat, instability, aging, tricky craftmanship,
etc....) and then overcoming the self inflicted problems with enormous
puffing, blowing steam, slogans and chest-pounding....

Steam engines are fun to watch or ride, but we use electric trains,
thanks...

Sorry if I offended anyone.

You'd have to work harder to offend me. But I hate most SS gear. And
the AM tuners full of SS crap don't sound as good as the tube stuff I
repair, re-engineer, or have built for myself.

Humans are fun to watch or ride ( if she's a good looking nice hot
sheila begging for it ), but we now use computers when we jerk off,
because shielas won't **** like they used to.

I like old fashioned telephones and copper wire connections. I will
never get a mobile phone unless I am forced to get one. The ****en
audio in mobile phones is awful, and they keep dropping out. I hated
the audio in my 1998? Metz TV set so much I removed all the speakers.
The analog sound from set top box now goes to a proper old fashioned
SS hi-fi amp and then to two nice hi-fi speakers, and sound is
passable; would be better if tubed though. The Metz was given to me
for "free" for some repair work, nice picture, it was the last CR tube
model, and so heavy that if it fails I just will put a brick through
screen, and break it up to fit into my dumper bin. Then I might return
to not having any TV set, like I didn't for 14 years before the Metz.

I am very glad to keep tube amplifiers alive, and build a few new
ones. So are my customers.

I'm definately not a Communist, or a Nazi, or raging mad Capitalist
despite so many attempts by a few here to label me one way or other.
But I do believe in social justice and maintaining high quality
function from electronics -- AND humans if possible. The world is
turning to PWM amps which are 95% efficient and don't need big
heatsinks. But meanwhile everyone seems to be wanting more of
everything, and in each room of the 27 room house they must have, with
two cars or more in the garage. Sure we have electric trains in big
cities but meanwhile have terrible traffic jams and excessive
consumption of everything possible. So even though we got rid of most
tubes, and nearly all steam trains, and now have efficient amps, we
are polluting the Planet much more than we used to, and also because
we had so many children, who will all want more and ****en more, along
with many future billions of ppl in developing countries.

So Alex, when you say things like ""Yet there are some *ppl* who still
try build stuff with tubes. These are
like Commmunists, creating problems (hum, noise, drift, low
efficiency, weight, size, distortion, heat, instability, aging, tricky
craftmanship, etc....) and then overcoming the self inflicted problems
with enormous puffing, blowing steam, slogans and chest-pounding....""
you are just pushing silly propaganda which everyone here should know
how to ignore.

I am grateful that a tiny minority maintains **WORKING** examples of
past technologies such as steam engines, aeroplanes (such as old WW2
planes) so that today's ppl have a REAL way of understanding the past
so they may know the future. Unfortunately, the world seems to be
drifting toward many more nuclear armed nations and maybe we won't
have to wait too long before some crazy country demonstrates what
happened in Hiroshima somewhere in some middle eastern city to settle
a dispute. So some really awful olf technology seems to be hanging
around when it should have been dismantled for ploughshares and
alternative and sustainable technologies. Probably it is benign that
each stereo SS amp that is finally dumped because it just wasn't worth
fixing is then re-cycled into a 5.1 receiver which will have an even
shorter life.
Its a contradictory world.

Anyway, the human race is heading into unknown territory, and the
whole heap of problems encountered along the way are all of far
greater significance than suffering the presence of a few "communists"
building a few tube amps. But in a way, Alex is right. Tube amps are
made in China, and guess what folks, China is stage managed by the
Chinese Communist Party, which has a rather frightful record on human
rights. I'm not sure what the Chinese nation may change into, but
change happens, and nothing stays the same. Old Buggers clinging to
old ideas about 1,001 things WILL die and New Buggers will take over
and nobody knows how the new world will fare over the next thousands
of years and methinks that considering tube amp making to be a
negative activity is extremely short sighted.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article , "Alex Pogossov"
wrote:

We need to be honest with ourselves -- SS stuff works so much better in
every and any respect. So much more convenience and versatility.

Certainly, solid state works better in every way for modern commercial products,
most of which wouldn't even be possible with discrete transistors, let alone
tubes. However this news group is dedicated to the use tubes in a hobby
context, and also in guitar amps, solid state is off topic.

Yet there are some *ppl* who still try build stuff with tubes. These are
like Commmunists, creating problems (hum, noise, drift, low efficiency,
weight, size, distortion, heat, instability, aging, tricky craftmanship,
etc....) and then overcoming the self inflicted problems with enormous
puffing, blowing steam, slogans and chest-pounding....

Building stuff with tubes hardly makes one a communist, remember this is a hobby
group where tubes are the whole point, and solid state is irrelevant.

Steam engines are fun to watch or ride, but we use electric trains,
thanks...

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Watch it, careful what you say about steam engines before you do insult someone.
I have a soft spot in my heart for steam engines as my Maternal Great, Great ...
Great-Grandfather invented the steam engine, and my Mothers Maiden name is the
same as his with only a slight spelling change to modernize it. And no, I am
not speaking of Watt, who developed the condensing steam engine while repairing
one of my ancestors original engines.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Watch it, careful what you say about steam engines before you do insult someone. *
I have a soft spot in my heart for steam engines as my Maternal Great, Great ...
Great-Grandfather invented the steam engine, and my Mothers Maiden name is the
same as his with only a slight spelling change to modernize it. *And no, I am
not speaking of Watt, who developed the condensing steam engine while repairing
one of my ancestors original engines.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

So John, was there some unpleasant experience during the R&D process
of the relatives' inventions of steam power, ie, a fearful explosion
so forever afterwards you got your name, Byrns, which was the way they
spelt burns in 1750?

I'm here for the tubes, and SS is irrelelvant, even though I have
dabbled in some SS.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

Watch it, careful what you say about steam engines before you do insult
someone. *
I have a soft spot in my heart for steam engines as my Maternal Great,
Great ...
Great-Grandfather invented the steam engine, and my Mothers Maiden name is
the
same as his with only a slight spelling change to modernize it. *And no, I
am
not speaking of Watt, who developed the condensing steam engine while
repairing
one of my ancestors original engines.

So John, was there some unpleasant experience during the R&D process
of the relatives' inventions of steam power, ie, a fearful explosion
so forever afterwards you got your name, Byrns, which was the way they
spelt burns in 1750?

I don't know, as far as I know the two sides of my family didn't know each other
back in the day, and only came together in the 20th century, however anything is
possible, it's an interesting question.

I'm here for the tubes, and SS is irrelelvant, even though I have
dabbled in some SS.

It sounds like you are using my line that you snipped from the top of my post.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 21, 12:20*pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
*Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Indeed I acted like a tank circuit, ie, LC, and LCs resonate.

But I make stuff that works, and don't just chat around all day. Or
else I starve.

Me mother's ancestors were from an Emerald Isle,
which makes me tree quarters Irish,
But me old man was from the fukkin' mainland,
and so I'm two terds English.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 24, 9:32*am, flipper wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:00:27 +1000, "Alex Pogossov"

wrote:

snip

Yet there are some *ppl* who still try build stuff with tubes. These are
like Commmunists, creating problems (hum, noise, drift, low efficiency,
weight, size, distortion, heat, instability, aging, tricky craftmanship,
etc....) and then overcoming the self inflicted problems with enormous
puffing, blowing steam, slogans and chest-pounding....

That comment is so ridiculous as to not merit a reply but,
nevertheless, a tube aficionado is doing what he likes. A communist
makes everyone else do what he likes.

Where on earth did you ever get the ****en stooooopid & ridiculous
idea that "a communist makes everyone else do what he likes" ??????

Clearly it IS TRUE that *some* people who may be communist,
capitalist, Christian, Moslem, Hindu, atheist, consensist ,
ridiculist, quasist, agriculturalist, industrialist, MAY possibly try
to make some ppl around them do what they like, or may not like at
all.

BTW, no need to tell me where, its another boooring story.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Flipper wrote very little content, then posted a monumental amount of
tedious crap he didn't write, and which I sure didn't write, and which
nobody could de-cypher.

B.S.

BTW, no need to tell me where, *its another boooring story.

Then don't ask.

So I have a few things which he and everyone else should consider
instead.....

1. A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is
absolutely fatal.
2. A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.
3. Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
4. America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence
without civilization in between.
5. Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of
imagination.
6. Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often
convincing.
7. Biography lends to death a new terror.
8. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter
it every six months.
9. I am not young enough to know everything.
10. I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his
ability.
11. I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and
took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. [Note:
remember Top 10 tips for great writing?
12. Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
13. It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless
information.
14. Most modern calendars mar the sweet simplicity of our lives by
reminding us that each day that passes is the anniversary of some
perfectly uninteresting event.
15. One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
16. Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.
17. Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking
others to live as one wishes to live.
18. The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never
any use to oneself.
19. The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked
about.
20. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.
21. To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the
first requisites of sanity.
22. Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
23. The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness
of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling
that I have always cultivated.
24. I don’t play accurately-any one can play accurately- but I play
with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment
is my forte. I keep science for Life.
25. When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
26. Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
27. My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people’s.
28. I can resist anything but temptation.
29. Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.
30. Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
31. Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.
32. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
33. What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the
value of nothing.
34. Vile deeds like poison weeds bloom well in prison air, it is only
what is good in man, that wastes and withers there.
35. We have really everything in common with America nowadays except,
of course, language.
36. The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except
genius.
37. The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
38. Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of
women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice,
remained thirty-five for years.
39. I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no
principles better than anything else in the world.
40. I love acting. It is so much more real than life.

Oscar also mentioned that life was far to short to ever be really
serious.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 25, 3:12*am, flipper wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 02:49:35 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:
Flipper wrote very little content, then posted a monumental amount of
tedious crap he didn't write, and which I sure didn't write, and which
nobody could de-cypher.

I thank you for suggesting my post so clever and professional it must
have been plagiarized but every jot was mine with not a single bit
copied from another source, except for the word "voil " that I often
cut and paste because I never can remember how to type a blooming " "
from the keyboard. The rest of the time I just type "a" and to hell
with it.

BTW, no need to tell me where, its another boooring story.

Then don't ask.

So I have a few things which he and everyone else should consider
instead.....

Well, you see, there's two HUGE differences here. First... I didn't
ask.

Second... your toilet paper roll laundry list of incoherent cut and
paste one liners from whatever web page(s) of quotes you found didn't
have a blessed thing to do with the topic.

And you wonder why the word "babble" keeps cropping up.

Flipper, you are an inconsistent dummy. You are lightning quick to
dismiss anything or anyone else says which exposes your extremely
limited views on the world, electronic topics, tube craft, and you
have no sense of humour, and you can't understand that a long
booooring humourless article you posted on communism WAS BABBLE which
was way off the topic of building better tube gear. You have so little
to contribute. Oscar Wilde had many things to say about the world
which YOU and ALEX both seem unable to understand.

Oscar must have said something about ppl who refuse an education, I
forget what it may have been, so, find out for youreself.

Most crazy ideas to organise people to do things they don't like or
even do like can be easily unravelled by wit. Wit is only possible by
understanding complex and silly human nature.

As for communists, some are OK, some are not, just like some
capitalists are OK, and some are not. You have some obsessively rabid
humourless views which nobody reads. I don't. But all extreme
political views which fail to take in all the facts and lack social
justice are dangerous. Pol Pot and Mao were parrticularly nasty
commos, and on the other hand, George Bubbya Bush and his business
pals could be argued to be the merchants of death. Millions of muslims
think that. Leading capitalists such as Rupert Murdoch can find
themselves as popular as a pork chop in a synagogue all so easily
because they preside over the potential evil of humans which suddenly
may become real.

In the absense of very many posts about tube use, I see nothing wrong
with off topic discussions which you hate because you have such
awkward difficulty being human. I'd say you were a large Nerd.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Flipper, you are an inconsistent dummy. You are lightning quick to
dismiss anything or anyone else says

No, I just dismiss your babble.

I've refused to waste another second reading your ****.

Delete Flippers stuff.....
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

Flipper, you are an inconsistent dummy. You are lightning quick to
dismiss anything or anyone else says

No, I just dismiss your babble.

I've refused to waste another second reading your ****.

Delete Flippers stuff.....

Oh come on now, Flipper makes a Hell of a lot more sense than you do!

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 25, 11:30*pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
*Patrick Turner wrote:

Flipper, you are an inconsistent dummy. You are lightning quick to
dismiss anything or anyone else says

No, I just dismiss your babble.

I've refused to waste another second reading your ****.

Delete Flippers stuff.....

Oh come on now, Flipper makes a Hell of a lot more sense than you do!

He's great at jarging the jargon. For a fish of a man he's remarkably
good at generating hot air and with no ideas worth soldering together.
I don't care how much "more sense" he makes than I do, he has a very
limited view on life and all its complexities, he's in fact determined
to appear aloof, cold, unhuman un-caring, negative, and unable to
grasp the way better minds than his have understood phase locked loops
and how they really work. He refuses to allow himself to be educated.

I know that all this may seem nonsense to you and I really don't much
care. Most ppl here don't build or make anything in their workshops
and they don't offer me much on which I might sharpen my mind. Those
here are hardly inspirational. Fortunately, I depend on nobody else
for motivation, understanding, or good health.

The dour booooring condemnation I get here probably helps to keep less
sturdy people out of this group.

Right now its 9C, clear blue sky, and am off for 70km bike ride. It
will be better than sunday when it just managed 7C max by the time I
returned after 70km.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

No, I just dismiss your babble.

I've refused to waste another second reading your ****.

Delete Flippers stuff.....

Oh come on now, Flipper makes a Hell of a lot more sense than you do!

He's great at jarging the jargon.

Tell me what 'jargon' confused you and I'll explain it.

If you dunno the sound of your own BS, you are a walking/swimming
undead fish.

Your pose as a dolphin is peurile. You beget no respect, because you
are lazy, cyber idiot, wallowing in narcism, behind a false facade, so
I've deleted the rest of your last post because there's nothing about
anything worth reading for anyone.

I might read someone's posts seriously if they are prolific with a
soldering iron and have no trouble applying the discussed ideas to
make something REAL, and/or if they are able to discuss their off
topic interests with tolerance and good humour, without trampling over
other people's rights.

Patrick Turner.