Posted to rec.audio.car
Steve[_21_] Steve[_21_] is offline

Default New setup

I've just bought a new Mitsubishi Mirage which had previously had a
reasonable audio setup in it, albeit using mostly cheap components.

The front 6.5" drivers were Polk Audio - I believe these are generally
considered to be ok? When I got the car they weren't going at all,
turns out this is because the previous owner was amping them off a 4-
channel amp that they were also running a subwoofer through. I've no
need for a subwoofer but I did get a small 60W Digital Designs C1B 2-
channel amp to run the fronts since the wiring was already there. I
got a good deal on the amp (around US$80) brand new.

The rear 6x9's are "St Chopin" which I believe to be pretty cheap,
they sound "ok" but are pretty peaky.

The head-unit is a couple of years old Panasonic CQ-RX300. It's got
pre-outs for front & rear and has a bluetooth unit hooked into it,
nothing very exciting though. I've got a Sony BTX2800 laying around
that I might swap in, no major difference but it's a bit more
configurable, the USB on the headunit of the panasonic is useful for
plugging my phone into to charge it though rather than running a
longer cable to the lighter socket.

As one of the Polk's had managed to get moisture into it and had
siezed, and the rears were "cheap", I've bought a new set of JBLs
including some new tweeters & crossovers.

Now, a couple of questions.

I don't want my nice new JBL 6.5", tweeters or crossovers getting
moisture damage. What's good to make sure the door is nicely sealed
without resorting to forking out megabucks for dynamat?

Would it be better running the front 6.5" & tweeters or the rear 6x9s
off the amp? The amp is "only" 60W versus the headunits 50W but I
would imagine it'd produce significantly cleaner sound.

Any other clever recommendations for a newbie car-audio installer?

I've already been around the car pushing panels and spraying silicon
over anything that made a squeak, and I've got some sticky foam
squares to stick in a few places to stop small rattles.

I'm not a bass-head, I just want good quality clear audio. With my
current setup the weak link will probably be the head unit as I
believe the other components to be of good (although obviously sub-
audiophile) quality. As much as I'd love to fill the car with high-end
Boston Acoustics gear, my paycheck wouldn't cover it. Plus it's a
pretty cheap car so it'd be a bit of a waste.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've given the FAQ a look over
which has given me a couple of handy tips which will make things
easier for me.

Cheers,

Steve Wells.

Best amp for this setup Mr. Bigstuff Car Audio 1 February 9th 05 06:32 PM
What do you think of my setup? Alon Wolman Pro Audio 58 May 30th 04 06:08 AM
Best amp for my setup Neil Car Audio 1 May 24th 04 11:42 PM
Sub setup in an SUV, Single 12W7 setup or Dual 12W6 Marcello B Car Audio 4 February 20th 04 03:05 AM
Best Possible Setup Dave High End Audio 0 September 2nd 03 05:16 AM