Posted to rec.audio.marketplace
[email protected] me@privacy.net is offline

Default FS: McIntosh MC2205 Power Amplifier

This is a PHYSICALLY MINT condition (more info below) McIntosh MC2205
Power Amplifier, along with the original McIntosh walnut cabinet (L14,
or L54???) Obviously, it comes with the Panloc brackets. Rated at
200w/ch. into 8 ohms; two different times going through Mac clinics, it
output a clean 280 w/ch.! Has taps for 1, 2, and 4 ohm outputs also. I
have both the Owner's Manual and a Service Information Manual.

The glass is in perfect condition; and there is NO corrosion or rust on
the chassis. I bought this new in 1981, and it spent most of its life
in warm, dry Phoenix, AZ. All lights, switches, control, and the meters
work as they should. The walnut cabinet has some very small edge dings.

Now, there is one small anomaly. When first turning the amp on, the
left channel level is near inaudible, and stays that way until the amp
warms up, OR I turn the speaker switch off and turn input signal up to
full power. THAT fixes the problem, and the level is normal thereafter.
Also, I have "tweaked" the left channel by turning the speaker switch
off, and touching the center pin of the input cable (normally induces a
pronounced 60 Hz hum!). In addition, one of the power transformers
leaked some coolant oil, but has stopped. Probably happened when we had
122 degrees F. one summer in Phoenix! A reputable Mac service
organization (hard to find those these days!) estimated they could fix
the level problem for around $300. Unfortunately, they are located some
1,000 miles away from me, and I just didn't want to do the shipping.
I've just moved into this new (to me) area, and I haven't checked nearby
big cities for Mac dealers--been too busy unpacking boxes and trying to
find space for everything!

I DO have the original box for this behemoth. If you know this amp, you
know it weighs in at 84 lbs., and 98 lbs. in the original shipping
container.

Now, why would I sell this top-notch gear? Well, I'm in the midst of
down-sizing house and stereo/video gear.

Rather than shipping this, you might want to consider direct pickup. I
live in the Chattanooga, TN, area, so if you live near Knoxville,
Nashville, Atlanta, or Birmingham, we could arrange to meet at halfway
points.

What do I want for this "Big Mac"? Well, that BIG famous online audio
seller has one in "C1" condition listed at $1,899--no mention of whether
they include the cabinet or not. They DO have cabinets listed at $199
SEPARATELY. Though my unit is physically in "A" condition, the
above-mentioned electronic flaw would most likely make it a "C" in their
book. Considering that one would most likely want to get this beautiful
piece of gear fixed, I would like to get $1,200 for mine, INCLUDING the
cabinet.

I have pictures I can send you if interested. Sorry, I don't have a web
site. You can contact me at borgia dot stick at yahoo dot com.

kartinkent kartinkent is offline
Junior Member

Up For Auction Is A Mcintosh Mc-2205 Amplifier. The Amp Works But Was Damaged During Shipping. Please Look At The Pics. The Amp Is Otherwise Ok Other Than The Face And Dents Shown. I Tested This Thru The Headphone Jack And Got Sound. I Did Not Want To Stress The Amp Before It Is Checked Out. Please See The Photos And Dont Hesitate To Ask Any Questions. As With All Vintage Electronics This Unit Is Sold As Is And Is Advisable To Service These Tube Units Before Long Term Use. However That Being Said This Is A Working Unit